Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 8:35 am

Left-Handedness and Neurodiversity: A Surprising Link

Quote:
The concept of neurodiversity was coined to reframe certain forms of diversity in brain functions in a non-pathological way. For example, autism is classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder, a term that implies that it is an inherently pathological condition.

Supporters of the neurodiversity movement, by contrast, argue that the autism spectrum is part of the diversity of brain functions in the general population. Therefore, according to them, people on the autism spectrum should not be treated as "sick" and do not need to be “cured” but instead should be accepted and supported by society as they are.

One commonly observed form of diversity in brain function is handedness. While about 90 percent of people are right-handed, about 10 percent are left-handed. Recently, I was asked by a reader whether there is a connection between left-handedness and neurodiversity. Let's have a look at the scientific literature on this interesting question!

In the meta-analysis on handedness and the autism spectrum, the scientists analyzed data from 723 people that were on the autism spectrum and 476 people that were not (Markou et al., 2017). Three different analyses were calculated, one for left-handedness, one for mixed-handedness, and one for left-handedness and mixed-handedness combined.

The researchers found that individuals on the autism spectrum were 2.49 times more likely to be left-handed than people without autism. Altogether, about 28 percent of individuals on the autism spectrum were left-handed as compared to about 10 percent in the general population. Moreover, individuals on the autism spectrum were 2.34 times more likely to be mixed-handed than the general population and 3.48 times more likely to be either left-handed or mixed-handed than the general population.

So yes, people on the autism spectrum do appear to have a higher chance to be left-handed than the general population.

The autism spectrum is not the only neurodevelopmental condition that is represented within the neurodiversity movement. Another prominent condition within the movement is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

As for the autism spectrum, a meta-analysis on handedness has been performed for people with ADHD (Nastou et al., 2022). Here the results were less clear-cut.

For left-handedness and mixed-handedness, there were no statistically significant results, but strong trends toward higher percentages in ADHD. However, when both were combined it was shown that people with ADHD had a statistically significant increase in left-handedness and mixed-handedness combined compared to the general population.

Overall, individuals with ADHD had a 27.3 percent chance of being either left-handed or mixed-handed compared to 18.1 percent in the general population. So the results suggest that the effects are smaller than for the autism spectrum, but generally go in the same direction.

The question of why left-handedness and mixed-handedness are more common in neurodiverse than in neurotypical individuals is not fully answered, yet, but there are some clues.

One important fact to consider is that left-handedness has not much to do with the hands. Typically, it is impossible to distinguish left-handers and right-handers by just looking at their hands.

Instead, handedness is determined by the brain.

Since handedness is determined by the brain, genes that are relevant for whether someone is becoming a left-hander or a right-hander often are relevant for brain development, and some relevant genetic pathways have also been shown to be involved in neurodevelopmental conditions.

Even way back when I was a kid being a lefty was commonly associated with being eccentric, strange, different.

Like with aversive ABA up until the 1960s and even beyond teachers would “correct” left handers. One infamous popular method was whacking the kid’s knuckles with a ruler. Even today pretty much everything is designed for right handers.

I am a lefty but fortunately my school district ended corporal punishment just before I got there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:19 am

WrongPlanet found out first:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=291253
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10277&start=16

Average 17.5% compared with 10 to 12% of the general population. Of course the WP findings are only straw polls of small numbers of people, but it's interesting that when it's tested more rigorously they find the same thing going on.

Interestingly, it seems to be on the rise in the general population:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/t ... story.html

But I wonder whether social desirability bias might have more affected the reporting of left-handedness in the old days? Also, might that also affect autistic left-handedness, given that ASDers have "problems with authority" and might be expected to be more resistant to bigwigs trying to discourage us from doing what comes natural to us?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:27 am

I'm on the spectrum and I'm also left-handed.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:49 am

My daughter, her dad, my dad, dad's sister, my granddad, and more ... all lefties and all ND / ASD / ADHD.
They're also overwhelming right-brained people.

I'm the only right-hander in the bunch.
I feel like I was supposed to be a leftie with a right brain, but something went wrong.
I'm a rightie with a right brain, and that leaves me very mixed up.

My daughter is actually ambidextrous.
She can use both hands at the same time - e.g., draw with one hand and colour with the other.
Her dominant hand is left but she does a lot of things right, or both together.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 12:18 pm

I've mentioned this only about 5697 times before, but I'm left-handed, my dad was left-handed, and my mom is left-handed. My older brother, however, is right-handed so he's the odd one in our family. That didn't stop him from teasing me about it when we were younger. He loved saying I was going to have a shorter life span for being a lefty. And yet he's one of the most right-brained people I know.

I was lucky to be born after being left-handed was tolerated at school, at least in most western countries. When I was really young I even thought it was cool when I was the only lefty in my class and even had my own left-handed desk. But I really don't understand why it's acceptable now but almost everything else that sets you apart from other people gets you treated like garbage.

I think that I am very right-brained, and I'm the only one in our family diagnosed with Asperger's.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2022, 6:23 pm

In grade two I distinguished myself from my classmates, in the eyes of my teacher, by displaying mixed handedness.

The best words to describe the cutting and handwriting styles I displayed are:

Laborious
Intentional
Precise
Slow

The way I understand this now is that my neurodiversity led me process these tasks cognitively, whereas for my classmates there was a higher degree of instinct or muscle memory.

It would be nice to see some research noticing and formally describing this, which I believe will turn out to be a broad trend.