Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:05 am

Six dead including 73-year-old suspect in shooting near Canada's Toronto

Quote:
Six people including the 73-year-old suspect died and one was seriously injured in a shooting at a residential building in the city of Vaughan in Canada's Ontario province on Sunday night, local police said.

The suspect was shot at by police and he was pronounced dead at the scene, Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) said in a statement Monday morning.

The SIU, which investigates deaths involving police, said it was looking into the death of the suspect and that a post-mortem was scheduled for Tuesday.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 4:01 pm

Well, there goes Michael Moore's theory about Canada and guns

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 6:02 pm

Vaughan condo shooting: Three victims were on condo board

Quote:
The man who went on a shooting spree at a Canada apartment complex killed five of his neighbours, including members of the building's board, police said.

The 73-year-old suspect went from apartment to apartment looking for his victims, though police have not disclosed his motive.

The alleged gunman, a longtime resident of the building, was shot and killed by police.
Police have not identified the victims at this time.

At a press conference on Monday, a spokesperson for Ontario's Special Investigations Unit, which probes police-involved deaths, said responding officers shot the alleged gunman in a hallway.

The spokesperson, Kristy Denette, added that the gunman used a semi-automatic handgun in the shooting.

Police have since identified the gunman as Francesco Villi.

They have not yet released the names of those who were killed, but said that three of the five victims were members of the apartment building's board of directors.

An injured person has also been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

Authorities are investigating the motive, including a possible connection between the gunman and the victims, as well as his relationship with the building's management board.

Social media accounts under the alleged gunman's name feature several recently-posted videos, in which he expressed grievances with the building's management due to an electrical unit underneath his apartment.

The Toronto Star reported the shooter was a longtime resident who had for years targeted the condo board with lawsuits as part of a running dispute with board members.

In 2020, the country's worst mass shooting in history unfolded in the province of Nova Scotia, where a gunman disguised as a policeman killed 22 people.

Canada's government has since introduced new legislation that will put a ban in place on the purchasing and importing of handguns and "assault-style" firearms in Canada, increase penalties for firearms smuggling and trafficking, and establish a so-called "red flag" law that would allow guns to be temporarily seized from people who pose a risk to themselves and others, among other measures.

Mr Trudeau said the legislation was put forward "to make sure that guns that are designed to kill the largest number of people as quickly as possible have no place in Canada."

The move has been criticised by some, including Canadian hunters who argue it could affect several rifles and shotguns primarily used for hunting and sport.

Others have said the law doesn't address the issue of illegal weapons smuggling into Canada - a majority of which cross through the US-Canada border.

The legislation is currently before a parliamentary committee. Mr Trudeau announced a national freeze on the sale, purchase and transfer of handguns earlier this year as a stopgap until the bill is passed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman