Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2022, 2:31 pm

I have a family member who was only diagnosed with autism as an adult, and I have known this person since they were very young.

I can remember just a few brief times in this person's childhood when the clouds seemed to clear and everything seemed suddenly easy for them. Maybe an hour or two at most.

Has anyone experienced this or seen it in another autistic person?

If autism is hard-wired, I think it shouldn't be able to just "clear" temporarily. I also don't think of autism as "cloudy", isn't it more about intense focus and desire for routine?

PS I seem to be on the spectrum myself but lately online tests come back as minimal which is another story.

"From there to there, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" Dr Suess, One Fish, Two Fish

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 2:48 pm

It might have been a particular situation that is imperceptible to you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 6:02 pm

this happens for me when my processing is actually able to keep up with whatever is going on, or if I have got enough correct and clear explanation to allow me to proceed. Real time talk with anybody is very difficult, but my daughter builds me a bridge verbally, connecting one thing to another related thing and explaining as she goes. She does this automatically and it helps so much (has known me all her life of course, and we have always spent a lot of time talking.

so the other day I had to ask for an explanation and she said "oh, I forgot to build you a bridge" so endearing, and so amazing to me that this is just something she does for better communication with me. Neither of us knew about my autism til I was 65 and she was already grown up and living on her own. Clouds can lift for me in situations where my processing can keep up or if I have been instructed and prepared ahead of time. Not all the time though!! !!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2022, 2:05 pm

autisticelders this is very interesting. Could you make up a little dialogue showing what you mean about the building of a bridge?

So maybe my person seemed "clear" because a penny had recently dropped for them about some routine thing that was going on in their life, such as "when we have breakfast, that is what they mean by the word morning and the light is different then" - something I can remember from my own childhood.

"From there to there, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" Dr Suess, One Fish, Two Fish

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:41 pm

It has to do with stress levels. If you are not feeling stressed and you are fully rested and nothing is overwhelming you, your Autism will appear to have cleared.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:45 pm

skibum wrote:
... your Autism will appear to have cleared.

keyword = appear

In my opinion someone else's autism might appear to clear, but that person still perceives it themselves.
At least that's true for me.
I've been aware of my autism and felt it, whether it had a name or not, every moment of my life.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
skibum wrote:
... your Autism will appear to have cleared.

keyword = appear

In my opinion someone else's autism might appear to clear, but that person still perceives it themselves.
At least that's true for me.
I've been aware of my autism and felt it, whether it had a name or not, every moment of my life.
Yes. Your Autism never goes away. Autism is hard wired unless the Autistic traits are only coming from an environmental factor. But if you are genetically Autistic, it is hard wired and it can't just go away. But Autistic traits are most apparent under stress so if the person is completely not stressed, you might not be able to see the Autism.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:53 pm

I always say, I'd be autistic even if I lived alone on the moon.
It's not just about social impairments. ^
I have extreme sensory issues and it affects the way I think in micro-details.
I'd be on the moon freaking out about texture, or calculating how many millimetres to Earth.

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2022, 8:18 pm

This has been really interesting. So if the person (who could be me) is not stessed, others will see them in a totally different light. If you want to see someone in a new way, approach them in a non-stressful manner at a time when they are not stressed. It's starting to sound like our old friend Love.

I'm currently seeing autism as a supermarket trolley with a sticky wheel - the harder you push, the slower you go. The harder others push me, the slower I can go.

Does anyone agree that the stressor could be something unexpected, such as an undetected food allergy, a chemical change in the brain as a by-product of adrenalin, or a person close by who is toxic but no-one has realised this yet?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:27 pm

LeafyGenes wrote:

I'm currently seeing autism as a supermarket trolley with a sticky wheel - the harder you push, the slower you go.

I love this. ^

LeafyGenes wrote:

Does anyone agree that the stressor could be something unexpected, such as an undetected food allergy, a chemical change in the brain as a by-product of adrenalin, or a person close by who is toxic but no-one has realised this yet?

Of course it can be unexpected. In my case it could be someone speaking when I don't expect sound, a phone ringing, a cooking smell wafting into my face, my clothing starting to itch, my hair in my eyes, bright sunshine coming out from behind clouds, too much movement, someone bumping into me or asking a question, or me just sensing bad vibes. I can usually sense toxic people a mile away but I can't recognise them by sight since I don't read facial expressions.

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2022, 8:50 pm

Interesting. I meant something even the person themselves does not think of. For myself, I noticed my thinking became noticeably clearer once I stopped consuming wheat a few years ago. I feel sad when I think how I had to go through my most powerful developmental stages, plus a few more decades, under the influence of wheat :(
I mean, you wouldn't give a baby lots of alcohol daily and expect it to develop socially in a normal way, and the cumulative effects would just increase each year as the child falls further and further behind their peers. It's too tragic to really think about :(

Last edited by LeafyGenes on 20 Dec 2022, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:52 pm

Oh I see. Yes, it could be something like that too.
I found out that I don't metabolise B-Vitamins, and folic acid hurts me.

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2022, 8:58 pm

Even if/when the person realises something is bad for them - a substance, a person - their development has happened and its going to be very hard to change from there. It could even happen before birth, lots of stuff happens then.

Thank you for that Isabella

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm

I had exposure to heavy metal toxins in utero too.
I didn't know much about the effects until recently.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm

LeafyGenes wrote:
This has been really interesting. So if the person (who could be me) is not stessed, others will see them in a totally different light. If you want to see someone in a new way, approach them in a non-stressful manner at a time when they are not stressed. It's starting to sound like our old friend Love.

I'm currently seeing autism as a supermarket trolley with a sticky wheel - the harder you push, the slower you go. The harder others push me, the slower I can go.

A stressor could be anything

Wreck It Ralph

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2022, 1:19 am

I really like this thread, thank you everyone. Lots of food for thought.