Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blueraspberry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2022, 11:52 pm

Can someone explain what tone is? For both music and talking...

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 4:54 pm

It's a noise of a given frequency. For example a 1 Khz tone sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBijeNg_Gs

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:08 am

Tone in music means specifically the frequency of a given sound represented in Hertz. More generally, tone can refer to the sound itself, eg: "This piano has a beautiful tone."

Tone in talking has more to do with intonation. That is: how those different audio frequencies are used in speech and their implications. We speak with different intonations in conversation for countless reasons: emotion, circumstance, social factors, mental state, etc. Someone curious might speak with an upward inflection to their tone. Someone bored might speak in a monotone. Someone frightened might speak with erratic intonation.
In less formal speech, tone in conversation can refer to someone's manner of speech in general, usually in a negative sense, eg: "Don't take that tone of voice with me." Taking a "tone" with someone means speaking in a way that displays impatience, childishness, condescension, frustration, snideness, dismissiveness, etc. Intonation is often a part of this kind of "tone", but it is not the only part.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides