New Helpful Book: Brain Energy by Christopher Palmer, MD

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2022, 12:49 am

This book explains how the mitochondria/metabolism are the root of most of our mental issues. They can either underwork for energy, overwork, or not work at all. It explains why so many of us may be unsure of our diagnosis, why we may have multiple diagnoses, and why we don't have the same characteristics as someone else with the same diagnosis.

Did you ever think your medication caused some of your problems. Yuppers! You bet!

I'm 70% through this book. I've gotten through the explanations and some hint of the treatments and already it's helped me understand myself so much better. I'm looking forward to learning about the treatments they suggest.

My biggest issues are insomnia and focus. Overactive mitochondria. Healthy mitochondria know when to stop.

I'm very big on using meditation to help my condition. It turns out that meditation increases mitochondria, so my book, Meditate Yourself Fit is very much on target.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 2:01 am

Just curious . . . did Dr. Palmer's findings first appear in a medical/psychiatric peer-review journal, or did they first appear on Amazon, Penguin-Random House or some other commercial literary venue?

If the former, then I may look into it one day.  If the latter, then I will skip it entirely.

What the world needs now is NOT another expensive self-help book.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 2:05 am

Fnord wrote:
Just curious . . . did Dr. Palmer's findings first appear in a medical/psychiatric peer-review journal, or did they first appear on Amazon, Penguin-Random House or some other commercial literary venue?

If the former, then I may look into it one day.  If the latter, then I will skip it entirely.

What the world needs now is NOT another expensive self-help book.

I've heard good things about this book.
It's legit.

https://brainenergy.com/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 9:44 pm

$15 for the Kindle version (but 2 users say that version has technical issues), $26 for the hardback.

Personally, from what I've just read from him on the Web, he markets his book and idea a little too enthusiastically for my "taste," i.e. the book seems suspiciously bigged up, though in our commercial society, marketing hype isn't proof of a bad product.

He seems to be saying that all mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance, specifically by energy problems in the brain (correct me if I'm wrong). That makes me wonder what happened to the bio-psycho-social model of mental illness, and to genetic factors. I like his apparent distrust of psych meds, though I don't need to buy a book to tell me that they're often dangerous and ineffective.

But I suppose for anybody with a spare $26 it might be interesting to get it and find out more on what it's all about. Meanwhile there are some user reviews on Amazon, some of which present both sides of the coin. It's encouraging that no user calls the book complete rubbish:
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Energy-Rev ... 1637741588

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2022, 1:17 am

Thank you, keep it coming

"From there to there, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" Dr Suess, One Fish, Two Fish