Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2022, 1:33 am

My family celebrate Christmas, but I don't. Unfortunately shops, the gym, public transport, etc are all shut on Christmas Day/Boxing Day, so I have no where to go.

I expect I will just get some cooked food from the butchers later on this week and go out for a day in the Peak District or something. That will be a struggle as I suffer a lot of tiredness these days and I think a 30 or 40 mile round trip will be difficult, but its either that or stay here, barricade the door, load up on sleeping pills, and have people shouting abuse at me.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2022, 2:34 am

Never mind. My gear cable snapped on the way to the shops today. That's two bikes out of order now :cry: .

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:01 am

Christmas is always just a quiet day here, make something good to eat, listen to music, watch a video that gives good feelings or read a book/do a puzzle, play a favorite video game or do a favorite craft, Use the day for rest and comfort and healing from the frantic social pressure that sometimes happens this time of year.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2022, 8:17 pm

That sounds nice.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 10:08 pm

steve30 wrote:

I expect I will just get some cooked food from the butchers later on this week and go out for a day in the Peak District or something. That will be a struggle as I suffer a lot of tiredness these days and I think a 30 or 40 mile round trip will be difficult, but its either that or stay here, barricade the door, load up on sleeping pills, and have people shouting abuse at me.

Both sound good to me.
I'm not sure which I'd choose.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 2:20 am

I'm retired so I'll be doing more or less what I happen to feel like doing, much like most days, which will probably be messing about on the Web, playing a bit of music, eating what I like best, watching a few videos, taking my usual walk if the weather allows, and whatever else takes my fancy. I've got no plans to do anything especially Christmassy apart from playing a Christmas carol I've been working on and I might watch the BBC's 3-hour 2019 version of "A Christmas Carol," which is a bit deeper and darker than most versions.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 3:04 am

My sister will be working in the mines up north on Christmas Day so our family had Christmas early last Sunday so she could be there.

I'm so glad the family celebration is over! On the actual Christmas Day I'll be staying home reading and eating chocolate in the air conditioning.

Aces High
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2022, 5:50 am

It's these kinds of situations (everything closed, lack of transport) that make me wonder if VR technology is the real deal. It's expensive but way more immersive than anything on flat screen, even high end flat screen with all the extra features -- HDR, 4K, big screen size, Dolby Atmos sound.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 7:46 am

Are you saying they even shut the trains down at Christmas?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2022, 10:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Are you saying they even shut the trains down at Christmas?

Yes. There may be some on boxing day, but not many.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 11:38 am

Well enjoy the season and your warm weather. We are headed for a winter storm. One we have not seen for a few years. They are currently predicting the temperature will fall tonight to -6 degrees F (-21 degrees C). But since I live out in the countryside, I expect it will get colder.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 7:35 am

Our temperatures dropped down to -8.3 degrees F ( -22.4 degrees C ) this morning but much less snow than predicted. I think we only had around an inch of snow.

WINTER HAS ARRIVED

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2022, 11:03 am

I'm pleased to say I managed to get into the garage to replace the bikes broken gear cable yesterday :). Unfortunately, I ended up getting a puncture on my way back from the shops. I managed to repair it easily enough though so I think the bike will be OK for me to have a decent day out tomorrow & boxing day.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2022, 2:32 pm

Well, I managed my day out in the Peak District. Unfortunately I didn't check the weather forecast for that area and got a bit wet. I didn't bother going out on Boxing Day as I was too tired, but I at least managed one day out. Just got New Years Day to do now.