23 Dec 2022, 4:53 am

Liar liar pants on fire

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 11:22 pm

George Santos allegations 'deeply troubling,' Nassau Republican leaders say

Quote:
Top Nassau Republican leaders on Thursday called allegations that GOP Rep.-elect George Santos misrepresented his background "deeply troubling" and urged him to make "meaningful remarks" to explain himself.

Also Thursday, the office of state Attorney General Letitia James has begun “looking into a number of issues raised about Santos,” a knowledgeable source said.

The source stopped short of calling it an official investigation and no further details were available.

The state’s jurisdiction wasn’t immediately clear, although questions have been raised about official filings by Santos as a candidate for Congress in the 3rd Congressional District in Nassau and Queens.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 5:49 am

Oh it just gets worse for Santos

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 7:23 am

A straight guy...pretends to be gay...to win political office? In the GOP no less?

Thats 'flipping the script'.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 5:13 pm

Priest recalls George Santos' financial need – saying family couldn't afford mother's funeral

Quote:
CBS News has spoken with a pastor, Father Jose Carlos da Silva, of Saint Rita's Catholic Church, in Long Island City, Queens, who says he knew Santos' family, the Devolders, well. The Devolders came to the church once in a while, he told CBS News. The family, including George Santos, was Catholic, says da Silva.

He also said that when Santos' mother, Fatima Devolder, died in 2016, Santos approached him to ask for help from the church. Da Silva had ministered to the family during Devolder's illness, and soon after she died, Santos told da Silva that the family couldn't afford a funeral.

A memorial mass was held at the church, which held a collection for the family. Da Silva said he didn't count the money collected, but recalled that the amount raised was significant, and that he handed the collection directly to Santos. But da Silva's portrayal of the family's financial condition is at odds with the biography presented by Santos.

His campaign website paints a picture of success: "George's work ethic comes from his mother, who came from nothing, but worked her way up to be the first female executive at a major financial institution. On September 11, 2001, George's mother was in her office in the South Tower. She survived the horrific events of that day, but unfortunately passed away a few years later."

CBS News has also verified evidence of a brush with the law in Brazil by Santos, first reported by The New York Times. A 2013 public notice from a Rio de Janeiro court accused Santos of embezzlement, though it did not elaborate on the charges. It identified George Anthony Devolder Santos as a 25-year-old American teacher who was single. The citation states that Santos, at the time of the charges, was in "an uncertain and unknown location" and therefore could not be summoned. The document gave Santos 10 days to produce materials for his defense.

In the November midterm elections, Santos won his race to represent parts of Long Island and Queens in Congress. A Republican, he flipped a district previously held by a Democrat.

A REPUBLICAN REPRESENTATIVE-ELECT who appeared to falsify much of his resume also registered to vote in two states in 2016, according to public records, albeit with the second registration coming after Election Day.
Quote:
George Santos, who won his election in November against a Democrat in one of the four New York congressional districts flipped by Republicans, left his home in New York, voted in Florida some nine months later, and was registered back in New York days later, according to public records.

Santos was evicted from a property in New York City in early February 2016, the records show. Within five days of the eviction court filing, he registered to vote in Florida. He voted in Florida on Election Day and, less than a week later, registered to vote in New York.

The timeline of his eviction and voter registrations are just the latest verifiable morsels of Santos’s biography, following much of his resume falling apart after closer inspection this month. Santos’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 5:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Oh it just gets worse for Santos

Young Turks are wrong about Santos being described as a moderate by the media. The media missed a helluva lot, but not that Santos is a MAGA
Swing Voters Rejected Far-Right Candidates. But Not So Much in New York. In suburban and exurban areas that had favored President Biden, voters showed support for some Trump-aligned candidates.
Quote:
Republicans’ major gains came in Nassau County, the portion of Long Island closest to New York City. Voters there have chosen Democrats in every presidential election since 1992, and Mr. Biden won the county by 9.5 percentage points over Mr. Trump.

In the Third District in Nassau, the Democratic candidate, Robert Zimmerman, focused his campaign on the avid support that his Republican opponent, George Santos, gave to Mr. Trump. He pointed in particular to Mr. Santos’s presence in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, when a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol.

Voters still sided with Mr. Santos, a businessman who was leading Mr. Zimmerman by more than eight percentage points as of Thursday.

How New York became friendly turf for Trump-aligned candidates They maintained a relentless focus on crime and inflation, Rep.-elect George Santos says
Quote:
Santos has expressed support for Trump in the past. He was in Washington for the “Stop the Steal” rally in 2021 when a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol, though he later called Jan. 6 “a sad and dark day in our history.”

Santos beat Democrat Robert Zimmerman by more than 9 percentage points in a district that Joe Biden won by about 10 points in 2020.

A gay Republican who said Trump was 'at his full awesomeness' on January 6 is headed to Congress

The Young Turks are right about one thing though it really sucks to live in his district. The fact I voted for his opponent does not lessen the embarrassment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 7:56 pm

He's a certainly a very versatile liar. Assuming he's not destined for a long political career I am sure some Hollywood producer will be interesting in his acting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 7:32 pm

House GOP leaders aware of George Santos fabrications: ‘A running joke’

Quote:
Senior House Republicans were so keenly aware of alleged inaccuracies and embellishments in Rep-elect George Santos’s professional biography, that the topic became a “running joke,” multiple insiders close to House GOP leadership told The Post.

As far as questions about George in general, that was always something that was brought up whenever we talked about this race,” said one senior GOP leadership aide. “It was a running joke at a certain point. This is the second time he’s run and these issues we assumed would be worked out by the voters.”

“When the story dropped everyone was like well yeah that makes sense. That’s all what we kind of thought,” the aide added, noting that his financial and biographical details didn’t always add up.

A second insider close to GOP leadership called the allegations against Santos “mostly stuff we already knew,” adding that “there were questions. Things weren’t adding up.”

By the time we knew that there were questions and issues he was basically the nominee. So what can you do? He was the only Republican candidate.”

Santos was elected during the midterms last month to represent the Long Island and Queens-based 3rd District and replace retiring Democrat Tom Suozzi. He forms a critical part of Republicans narrow 222 to 213 majority in the chamber.

Given that paper-thin margin, there was almost no chance the incoming congressman would face any sanction from leadership over the issue, House insiders said.

“The most important purpose that Santos serves is voting for Kevin McCarthy, until then nobody’s going to do anything,” the second insider said. “He won his election. He’s a member of congress. Too bad for Democrats. Should have figured this all out beforehand. He will have committee assignments.”

Reps for McCarthy did not respond to request for comment.

Santos confirmed to The Post he would vote for McCarthy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 11:25 pm

N.Y. Rep.-elect Santos admits lying about career, college

Quote:
Rep.-elect George Santos, R-N.Y., admitted Monday that he lied about his job experience and college education during his successful campaign for a seat in the U.S. House.

In an interview with the New York Post, Santos said: “My sins here are embellishing my resume. I’m sorry.”

He also told the newspaper: “I campaigned talking about the people’s concerns, not my resume” and added, “I intend to deliver on the promises I made during the campaign.”

On Monday, Santos acknowledged: “I didn’t graduate from any institution of higher learning. I’m embarrassed and sorry for having embellished my resume.”

He added: “I own up to that. … We do stupid things in life.”

Santos had also said he had worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs, but neither company could find any records verifying that.

Santos told the Post he had “never worked directly” for either financial firm, saying he had used a “poor choice of words.”

He told the Post that Link Bridge, an investment company where he was a vice president, did business with both.

Another news outlet, the Jewish American site The Forward, had questioned a claim on Santos’ campaign website that his grandparents “fled Jewish persecution in Ukraine, settled in Belgium, and again fled persecution during WWII.”

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Santos told the Post. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 11:48 pm

A republican politician lied?? That's unfathomable!! :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:51 pm

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 6:41 pm

A true opportunist, able to read what people want and willing to play anyone and anything. Sadly, he appears to be talented at. Like some other people we know, except not good enough to not get caught.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 6:47 pm

Trump normalized lying.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 7:25 pm

Nassau County DA opens investigation into Rep.-elect George Santos

Quote:
The Nassau County District Attorney’s office on Wednesday launched an investigation into Rep.-elect George Santos after the Republican admitted to lying about his education and work experience as well as misleading voters about his religion on the campaign trail.

“The numerous fabrications and inconsistencies associated with Congressman-elect Santos are nothing short of stunning,” said Brendan Brosh, a spokesperson for Nassau County D.A. Anne Donnelly, a Republican. “No one is above the law and if a crime was committed in this county, we will prosecute it.”

Brosh would not say what in particular the office was investigating or the criminal charges Santos could face.

Santos — who reports his residence in Nassau County — won the race for New York’s 3rd Congressional District in November after defeating Democrat Robert Zimmerman with 52% of the vote.

Several New York Democrats over the last week have demanded that Santos step down from the seat, and a bipartisan chorus of elected officials have called for the House Ethics Committee to investigate his lies and campaign finances.

“It’s very encouraging and positive to see Republicans step up with Democrats and demand accountability here,” Zimmerman told Gothamist.

The DA is a Republican who led Long Island's Red Wave. Her campaign centered on the Cash Bail Reform Law

How a Perfectly Normal New York Suburb Elected a Con Man
Steve Israel is a former Democratic congressman from New York and the former chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. He is the author of Big Guns.
Quote:
How did George Santos, a Republican newly elected to New York’s Third Congressional District, on Long Island, get away with running for office with an almost completely fictitious résumé? The answer is a combination of Democratic complacency, Republican extremism, and media decline in a House district that I know intimately.

On Election Night, Republicans swept all four of Long Island’s House seats. Democrats didn’t realize the severity of the loss, however, until The New York Times revealed that Santos had lied about his education, work experience, philanthropic pursuits, and finances, among other things. This was no familiar case of a politician embellishing around the edges: Santos appeared to have made himself up.

I represented parts of Long Island in Congress from 2001 to 2017, including, in my final two terms, most of the current NY-3 (gerrymandering has carved up the district three times since 2000). I also chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee from 2011 to 2015. I’ve shaken a lot of hands in NY-3.

The district has a bit of glamour, here and there, if you look closely enough. Sean Hannity and Billy Joel are neighbors on Centre Island, which juts like a fishhook into the Long Island Sound and can be reached only by bridge (or, if you’re those two, helicopter). Their disparate political attitudes reflect the ideological diversity of the area, which swings gently from red to blue and back again.

But by and large, the district is as normal as Santos is extreme. It’s a place of strip malls and nail salons, good pizza and chain restaurants, white picket fences and PTA meetings.

The district is about 66 percent white, 19 percent Asian, 11 percent Latino, and 3 percent Black.

In every poll in every election I ran in, voters were left-of-center on social issues, right-of-center on taxes and spending, and concerned about preserving their quality of life. They hovered quietly near the center, and they were more likely to watch the local-news affiliates to check weather and traffic than to be glued to Fox News or MSNBC. The people I represented did not treat partisanship like a sport or an essential aspect of their personalities.

That seemed healthy, but their mellowness could sometimes border on apathy. My town-hall meetings were always sparsely attended. Typically, fewer than a dozen constituents would show up, despite my staff’s best efforts to get the word out.

Voter disconnection must be part of the explanation for why Santos won. Voters in NY-3 say they value integrity and honesty, and I believe they do. But they weren’t on the lookout for a huckster politician; they didn’t think that could happen here, because it hadn’t before.

Moderate Democratic candidates have fared well in the region since 2000. Had Joe Biden run in the redrawn NY-3 map in 2020, he would have won by 8.5 points instead of 10.5, according to Politico. This year, most political observers viewed the district as naturally Democratic, especially against a Republican who’d lost his last election. That’s what I mean by Democratic complacency: the complacency of the establishment.

When he ran against Tom Suozzi, my successor, in 2020, Santos was a complete unknown. I asked Suozzi if he’d found anything of note in his opposition research, but Suozzi said he hadn’t bothered to do much. “It was the middle of COVID,” he said. Santos “had only $40,000 in his campaign account, and he was a nut. We ignored him and won by 12 points.”

Santos ran again in 2022, maybe because he understood that being ignored was a strategic advantage. This time around, the DCCC prepared an initial research document that raised plenty of red flags. The committee turned that document over to the Democratic candidate, Robert Zimmerman, who says his campaign “was unrelenting in getting people’s attention.” But, according to Zimmerman, the prevailing response was along the lines of This guy isn’t going to win, so he’s not a story.

Only after Santos defied expectations did that dynamic change. And by that time, it was too late for voters to react to Santos’s long con. Here’s where media decline enters the story.

The media’s failure to dig into Santos shows the predicament that local newsrooms face in 2022. Newsday dominates the media landscape on Long Island. And its reporters do quality work—they turned out an important investigation just a few years ago that exposed racism in the local real-estate industry. But they don’t have the resources to cover everything—not even everything in their political backyard—and they appear to have written off NY-3 as low priority given the district’s Democratic tilt. So did all the other once-mighty New York–area media operations.

ome observers have also criticized Zimmerman’s campaign for not fully investing in opposition research based on the initial DCCC project. Perhaps that criticism is justified, but we shouldn’t let the Republican Party off the hook. Republicans accepted Santos’s narrative without due diligence because they prioritized extreme ideology over actual qualifications. Santos was at the Ellipse on January 6, 2021, and has even claimed that he helped arrested insurrectionists with their legal fees.

Politicians embellish résumés; if that were a crime, every candidate in America would be in prison. But Santos’s lies are an assault on democratic norms. The Republicans should have vetted Santos. The Democrats should have checked him out more thoroughly. The media should have as well.

I do agree with what is written above but I can't believe he ignored the crime/cash bail reform law/and "BLM riots" next door in New York City, and the totally peaceful but numerous unprecedented large BLM protests that occurred on Long Island. It is true that the BLM activities occurred before the 2020 election in which Santos lost but the Democrat candidate was a long-time well-known politician known as a moderate, this year's Democrat nominee was unknown.

As mentioned earlier the Long Island Red Wave started last year and this year you had in the Governor's race a MAGA nominee from Long Island running much better than expected. Did not the Democrats and Newsday ever hear of the political phenomenon known as coattails?

Absolutely can not let the voters off the hook here. Congressmen have no ability to do anything about New York State's cash bail reform law. But the voters wanted to send a message and they were going to vote Republican no thinking involved. They sent a message alright, that we are the laughingstock of the entire world.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 1:32 am

Congressman-elect George Santos faces federal investigation after admitting to lying on resume

Quote:
Federal and county prosecutors are looking into Congressman-elect George Santos after the Long Island Republican lied on his resume.

CBS News has confirmed that federal prosecutors are examining Santos' finances, and the Nassau County District Attorney's Office is looking into his admitted fabrications about his past.

CBS News sources say prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York are looking into his finances, including financial disclosure filings in the wake of Santos' own public admissions to lying about his resume, background and other information.

But Congressional experts say if Santos does not resign, very little stands in the way of him being sworn in as scheduled on Jan. 3.

"Once someone is sworn in as a member, really, the only standard that the Constitution has set is that two-thirds of the House must agree in the case of an expulsion," said Michael Thorning, director of structural democracy for the Bipartisan Policy Center.

George Santos Says His Mom Died Of 9/11-Related Illness. Advocates Say He’s Lying
Quote:
Victims advocacy organizations and legal firms managing the cases of those affected by the September 11th terrorist attacks say they have no record of Congressman- elect George Santos’ mother, Fatima Devolder, entering a victims’ compensation claim or participating in any lawsuits related to the attacks. 

Santos has repeatedly claimed many of the people actually running Trump’s reelection operation are now saying they somehow had zero clue that an entire documentary was being filmed largely about Trump and his reelection campaign including on his campaign website — that his mother, who died of cancer in 2016, was a 9/11 survivor who was “in her office in the South Tower on September 11, 2001,” and “passed away a few years later when she lost her battle to cancer.” At one point he claimed that both of his parents had been in the towers the day of the attack. 

In a 2021 tweet, Santos repeated the assertion, stating that “9/11 claimed my mothers life.”

Despite Santos’ assertion that his mother worked within the World Trade Center, Rolling Stone could find no employment records that would place Mrs. Devolder in or around the towers on September 11th. According to NBC News, Devolder’s only known employment was a Queens based company that closed in 1994. A New York Times investigation found that Devolder’s main source of income was as a nurse and domestic worker. 

While many New Yorkers experienced health ramifications following the collapse of the towers, including cancer, various victims advocacy groups and law firms who help facilitate claims to the VCF told Rolling Stone that they were unable to identify any records indicating that Fatima Devolder filed a compensation claim for her health complications. 

John Feal, founder and President of the 9-11 first responder victims advocacy organization The FealGood Foundation, told Rolling Stone that neither he nor his contacts within the community of organization providing services to survivors could identify any record of a VCF claim or enrollment in the World Trade Center Health Program for Devolder. “The search was extensive,” Feal tells Rolling Stone.

“He’s lying,” Feal says. “Nobody can verify it.”

“The 9/11 community, while some are Republican and some Democrat, at the end of the day they always usually band together on something like this,” he explains. “There’s a lot of people disgusted by this.” 

Several law firms — including Barasch & McGarry, which represents upwards of “25,000 responders, downtown residents, office workers, students, and teachers who have been sickened by the 9/11 toxins” — tells Rolling Stone that Devolder had never been a client.

Individuals seeking to access the VCF are not required to file through a law firm or advocacy organization. Claims are publicly listed for 90 days after which the VCF will not publicly confirm the names of claimants. A review of Devolder’s social media posts by Rolling Stone found no references to the 9/11 attacks, commemorative posts, or references to the cause of her cancer diagnosis in the course of her treatment.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 1:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Republican congressman George Santos reportedly fabricated his résumé
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... can-resume
According to an analysis by the New York Times, the biographical sketch offered by the 34-year-old, first-generation Brazilian-American, who ran as a member of a “new generation of Republican leadership” as the “full embodiment of the American dream”, may not have worked at Citigroup or Goldman Sachs, graduated from a New York college, or run a pet rescue charity, as he has claimed. Infact the entire resume of this Trump endorsed congressman might be scam.

In statement to the Times, Citigroup and Goldman Sachs said they had no record of Santos ever working there. Nor did Baruch College find any record of Santos studying there, as he purported. The Internal Revenue Service said it was unable to locate a record for an animal rescue group, Friends of Pets United, that he said he’d run for five years beginning in 2013.

The Daily Beast reported in April that Santos, who has identified as a member of the LGBTQ+ community and presented himself as a “walking, living, breathing contradiction”, had served as a director of a Florida investment firm, Harbor City Capital, that the SEC accused of running a $17m (£14m) Ponzi – or pyramid – scheme.

Here's where a little bit of photo ID could come in handy. 8O