What do people talk about on first dates?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 3:16 pm

I have a 'Is this a date or are we casually hanging out?' situation coming up, which has made me wonder - what do people talk about on dates?

Not that you can exactly script it, since that would come across as clunky. Hmm.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:48 pm

Although I suppose a better question is - how do I not feel nervous about it? I'm sure it will be fine, it's just coffee. I can do coffee. Yeah, this is fine. Ugh I don't know what to wear.

No. Don't overthink this. Just coffee. Only a couple of days now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm

Really…..just “be yourself.”

Talking about your family is always an ice breaker.

Never talk about dating as a concept, or about relationships in the abstract.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:59 pm

Trains of course! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 3:26 pm

When I first met my boyfriend it wasn't the stereotypical first date where you're eating at a fancy restaurant trying not to say anything dumb and talking like you're speaking to the Queen. We just arranged to meet in the bus-station while he was at work and because he was a bus-driver back then I just had a ride around the city in his bus, then when he finished he drove me back to his apartment and cooked me dinner, and we just exchanged facts about each other's family and other casual stuff like that. We had spoken on the phone before then, getting to know each other like our birthdays and what we liked, disliked, that sort of thing.

It's no big deal really. You just get to know each other on the first date, and with me and my boyfriend there was no "oh God, what's he/she thinking?" sort of thing. It was just like meeting a friend for the first time, except we both knew it was already the start of a beautiful relationship that is still going strong 8 years later. :heart:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 3:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Really…..just “be yourself.”

Talking about your family is always an ice breaker.

Never talk about dating as a concept, or about relationships in the abstract.

You're right. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 5:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I first met my boyfriend it wasn't the stereotypical first date where you're eating at a fancy restaurant trying not to say anything dumb and talking like you're speaking to the Queen. We just arranged to meet in the bus-station while he was at work and because he was a bus-driver back then I just had a ride around the city in his bus, then when he finished he drove me back to his apartment and cooked me dinner, and we just exchanged facts about each other's family and other casual stuff like that. We had spoken on the phone before then, getting to know each other like our birthdays and what we liked, disliked, that sort of thing.

It's no big deal really. You just get to know each other on the first date, and with me and my boyfriend there was no "oh God, what's he/she thinking?" sort of thing. It was just like meeting a friend for the first time, except we both knew it was already the start of a beautiful relationship that is still going strong 8 years later. :heart:

:)

It's always nice to hear such stories. Eight years is a long time.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 5:23 pm

I never go on dates with strangers, so they are usually someone who knows vaguely what I'm like and what I usually talk about. So I don't feel pressured to put on a show, so to speak. If they asked me a question about trains I could tell them about a Jago Hazard video I watched.

Aye, but a normal girl would probably prefer if you asked her how her family is, how's work going, have you seen any good films lately, are you reading a good book right now, where did you go on holiday last year? Etc

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 6:18 pm

I wouldn't say we're strangers. However, this is the first time that we're meeting IRL so I'm a bit nervous. We've been online friends for a couple of months. I know a couple of things about her. We've mainly been talking about books. I know that her favourite type of plant is a cactus. Which might be an odd conversation starter. :lol:

She likes to bake and she draws, but she struggles with drawing animals - I'm the exact opposite, I can draw animals but struggle with anything else (except flowers - I'm good at drawing flowers). Mainly sticks with creating small prints. Not much of a gamer from what I've gathered. Likes hipster fashion. I don't know about her family or if she enjoys her job.

At least I have a couple of potential topics to start the conversation. I've no idea if it's going to be awkward or not.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 6:27 pm

Honestly, any guy who asks to go somewhere with you alone is most likely asking you out on a date.

If a guy around your age that you know is like "hey we should grab a bite to eat sometime" then there's probably romantic intentions involved.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 6:42 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
Honestly, any guy who asks to go somewhere with you alone is most likely asking you out on a date.

If a guy around your age that you know is like "hey we should grab a bite to eat sometime" then there's probably romantic intentions involved.

In my case, it's a woman asking me. She knows that I'm gay and as far as I know, she isn't straight either. That would be quite the plot twist if she is straight, since she seems interested and I get those signals from her, but it's a possibility. I could be reading the situation all wrong. Guess I'll subtly test the waters and try to figure out where we stand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 6:42 pm

Has she expressed any sort of romantic feelings for you?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 6:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Has she expressed any sort of romantic feelings for you?

Not explicitly. However, we did meet on a dating site. In my bio I have a line about getting coffee and seeing where it goes. My searching for is set to relationship. Whereas she had hers set to searching for anything (friendships, relationships, etc). So it's a little uncertain if this is more of a platonic meet up or if there are other intentions at play. We moved on to social media and started talking more there. I never attempted to flirt since I didn't want to scare her off in case this was a just friends hanging out type of situation. However, my lack of moves has led to me wondering if the question to get coffee is taking me up on my implication or if it isn't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 8:39 pm

When will you two meet?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 9:47 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I have a 'Is this a date or are we casually hanging out?' situation coming up, which has made me wonder - what do people talk about on dates?

Depends on how the people met, how well they already know each other if at all, and on the nature of what they've agreed to do together.

What kind of date/whatever is this? Have you agreed to meet over a meal or coffee? Or some other activity? Or has this been decided yet?

Getting together for a specific recreational activity that you both enjoy may be less awkward than just meeting over a meal or coffee.

How well do you know this person? Do you and this person have any common hobbies/interests/etc.? If so, what are they?

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 1:54 am

The point of first dates is to get a sense of whether or not you and your date are potentially compatible, and to look for any signs of potential deal-breakers. I like to think of first dates as like a job interview; you are interviewing the person and seeing whether or not you two are potentially a good fit for one another.

With that said, I think a good strategy when you're on a first date is to try and ask questions based on your interests and values, and see if you can find some common ground with your date. An example might be if you're very religious and want a deeply Christian man, something you could ask your date is "Do you consider yourself to be religious?" Or if you're very sporty, ask your date a question that is related to sports and pay attention to how they respond.

I also think a really good question to ask someone on a date is "What are your hobbies and interests?" because how they answer can also indicate whether or not you two may have similar hobbies and lifestyle.