Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 6:51 pm

I do not like things sticking to my hands or round my face. Or a hair in my mouth!
Not sure why but was told that most people "Just get on with life and don't make a fuss". I have to deal with it as it has to be dealt with.

Not saying it is a problem, and I don't neccessarily mind getting my hands dirty. As long as they don't get sticky. (I can get them temporarily sticky if I have to as long as I can deal with it as soon as I can. E.g., if I need to use my finger to put grease in ready to hold bearings. As soon as the bearings are installed and the immediate part of the job is done, I will wash my hands or at least wipe them before the rest of the re-assembly commences).
But as a child I hated having sticky hands or face! And certain sweets (Candy) that though I liked, I preferred not to because they would get me sticky. Adults kept buying me and my brother sticks of rock when they went on holiday which I had to eat and was told not to complain... I know they were a gift by generous people... When I got slightly older I would give my rock to my brother which my parents thought was a good compromise as I was seen as being generous!
Just don't like sticky. Never a fan of lollypops due to this but partly as well due to the texture of the stick (Often some sort of card? Not sure) in my mouth...

But the REAL point of this thread was to write the word "Sticky:" in the title as other posts do have "Sticky:" at the top of the thread so I thought I would write my own! (Though my sticky experiences are completely true...). And anyone else hate the feeling of a hair being on ones toungue or the feeling of sticky fingers or a sticky face?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 7:04 pm

How about wet clothing sticking to your body?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 7:08 pm

I always get syrup in my hair.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 7:45 pm

Raleigh wrote:
How about wet clothing sticking to your body?

Usually hate it butdue to cycling in the rain one has no choice, BUT what I found I hated was the "Getting wet" rather than the being wet, as once I was wet, I was ok... BUT I will say something here is that proper decent long sleeved tols andproper full length cycling tights (Not easy to get long sleeved due to cycling "Tour De France" dictating fashion which is certainly not practical for UK everyday cycling) ... I found that proper cycling clothes were like wearing swimming trunks in that when wet they did not cling heavy but rather formed a barrier from the cold (Which most normal clothes tend to feel heavy and clingy when wet, and when wet they can let the cold get straight through them where when dry they would not), and I also foud that proper cycling clothes did not take long to dry when the rain stopped and one was cycling. Twenty to thirty minutes later they felt dry.
But due to crazy sports lead fashions dictating what they "Think" cyclists need to buy, finding decent long sleeved everyday cycling tops and bottoms in sizes that fit are difficult.
I could not find a thing in Halfords (Or cycling gloves my size) and back then I used to work for them, but I did find some cycling clothes (They were ok... Not quite what I was looking for but they were suitable for the job and at great prices) at Liddl. Only issue is with their cycling gloves is they DO do sizes that fit me as I have long fingers and large hands, but it always seemed to be the case that someons got there before mel So I have one pair of proper cycling that maks my hands ache as they are a size too small, and two pairs of gloves that do fit me but are jogging gloves (The only gloves I havefound for sale my size anywhere, anx I looked for ten years!) which are slippery to use on bicycle handlebars and have no padding in the right place.

But yes. If wearing proper cycling clothes, getting wet is nota problem, but ordinary clothes it can be, and the worst part is the getting wet, as once soaked through, somehow it wasn't quite so bad if one kept moving... Was when one reached ones destination where they felt heavy and horrible!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:15 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I always get syrup in my hair.

How do you manage that? Imagines you holding the jar upsideown and "Oops!"