Trump aide testified he saw Trump "tearing" documents

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 7:27 pm

Meadows also once told him, "Don't come into the room”

Quote:
Nick Luna, a former White House aide to President Donald Trump, told the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021 assault on the Capitol that he witnessed Trump "tearing" documents, according to audio files of Luna's deposition that were obtained by CBS News.

"Did I ever see him tear up notes? I don't know what the documents were but there [was] tearing," Luna said in his Mar. 21 testimony before the committee.

According to the Presidential Records Act, federal law requires that presidential records are carefully preserved and then handed over to the National Archives.

When asked again by Dan George, the committee's senior investigative counsel, whether Trump tore up some documents, Luna replied, "That's correct."

But Luna said that he did not recall any details about documents that might have been destroyed.

Luna, who served as Trump's personal aide inside the White House, had extraordinary access to the president during the final weeks of Trump's term and managed Oval Office operations. And he was one of the staffers who was regularly with Trump on the day of the attack on the Capital.

The audio files also reveal that Luna testified that White House chief of staff Mark Meadows had instructed him to not enter the room ahead of a meeting with state Republican legislators who wanted to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

"There was one instance where it would normally be my job to go in and make sure that [the] president is comfortable in wherever the situation is," Luna told the committee. "And I remember, specifically, this instance [Meadows] had said, 'Do not, don't come in, don't come into the room today."

Luna testified that he was unsure of why Meadows allegedly told him to stay out of the room, and he could not remember when exactly the White House chief of staff told him not to enter. But he said he recalled the directive occurred as Meadows was preparing to meet with visiting state Republican legislators.

Trump had several documented West Wing meetings with allied state Republican lawmakers in the post-election period, including a Nov. 20, 2020, meeting with Michigan legislators and a Nov. 25, 2020, meeting with Pennsylvania legislators. Both of those sessions included discussions about whether state legislatures could take legal or legislative steps to overturn the election results in those respective states, which were carried by President Joe Biden, according to two Trump advisers who were not authorized to speak publicly.

"I just remember [Meadows] being around the office," Luna told the House select committee. "I don't remember if it was the Michigan or Pennsylvania. I didn't know — I don't remember that those were the places. But I do remember him on, on one or the other of those being, before going into the meeting, in my office."

When pressed on the context and on whether it was odd for Meadows to ask him to stay out of the room, Luna said he was uncertain of the context but noted it was rare.

"It may have been one of two or three times that he asked me to do that," Luna said. "But that's not — I don't know if odd would be the right characterization."

Luna then reiterated, when asked again, that it was "correct" to conclude that it was a "rare occurrence" for him to be asked to stay out of the room ahead of a Trump meeting.

His deposition, which was conducted virtually, was in response to a subpoena issued to him by the committee the previous November.

"Nick Luna testified fully and honestly and doesn't have any further comments," Luna's counsel told CBS News on Tuesday.

A spokesman for the House select committee declined to comment.

Luna's testimony about Trump's alleged tearing of documents follows previous reports that Trump ripped up documents. Reporter Maggie Haberman of The New York Times reported earlier this year that "on some occasions, Mr. Trump would rip up documents — some with his handwriting on them — and throw the pieces in a toilet, which occasionally clogged the pipes in the White House."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman