Taliban bans women and girls from attending universities

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 7:44 pm

CBS News

Quote:
The Taliban's de facto authorities on Tuesday banned women and girls from attending universities and from getting higher education in Afghanistan, according to the letter released by the Taliban's Ministry of Higher Education.

Tuesday's order, which is effectively immediately, completed all the restrictions the Taliban imposed on Afghan woman's life in the 1990s, taking Afghanistan and Afghan women nearly three decades back.

"Based on cabinet decision…education for women is suspended until further notice," reads the statement tweeted by ministry spokesman Hafiz Hashimi. "The decision should be implemented immediately.

The Taliban captured power over 15 months ago and immediately deprived girls of their fundamental rights by banning secondary education for grades six and above. But women were allowed to attend universities in a gender-segregated class. No country in the world currently recognizes the Taliban government.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:14 pm

That's just so sick!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:19 pm

But are we really that surprised?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:55 pm

Yeah. Its like ...why did they take so long to drop the other shoe and do it? :roll:

Too bad that ...they killed Ben Laden. They shoulda kept him alive, and given him a sex change operation, and then forced him to live the rest of life as a woman under the Taliban regime!!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Too bad that ...they killed Ben Laden. They shoulda kept him alive, and given him a sex change operation, and then forced him to live the rest of life as a woman under the Taliban regime!!

Would that just make him more popular with the Talis?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Would that just make him more popular with the Talis?

I guess that I didnt tell the joke right. I apologize. Let me supply the context, and missing parts of the set up.

My sis passed on the joke in an Email WAY back in 2002. Shortly after 9-11, but a long time before the Navy Seals actually greased Ben Ladin.

The gist of the joke was that "even if they could catch Ben Ladin, they wouldnt know what to do with him". They cant keep him in prison forever. And if they killed him it would just 'make him a martyr'. So they would have no choice but to ...give him a sex change operation and force him.... .

You probably get it now, but just to be super clear:

The joke being that 'killing him would make him a martyr, ergo we have to do something else to him. So lets do something preposterously silly to him...but that would cause him to be a victim of his own allies.

Get it?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 8:19 pm

Oh I just put a different spin. If he had a sex change and was sent back to the Talis then they might be "more popular" (if you get my drift).