Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 11:35 pm

...you're not wearing the appropriate clothes for the current season/weather?

Today I've got to walk to work, which is about 2 miles and is mostly uphill. I walk quite fast, and I get really hot if I am wearing anything long-sleeved. Then I get to work all sweaty and smelling a BO sort of smell, which I get self-conscious about (sometimes deodorant doesn't always mask it completely). So walking in a t-shirt is always the best option.

But of course it's December and the temperature is not hot (although it isn't freezing but still cold). So everyone will be walking around in coats, and they will give me weird looks when they see me walking along in a t-shirt. :roll:
Why do strangers have to make it so obvious that they're staring at you if you're not wearing the clothes they want you to wear? This is why I hate being in public. Being judge you like f**k.
When I'm at work and walking around in a t-shirt nobody gives a s**t, because they know that I'm working and we all get hot at work if the heaters are on.
But in public the rules are too precise and people seem to take more notice of you and what you're wearing instead of just using their TOM (which NTs are supposed to so famously have hard wired into their skulls) and think "maybe she's pregnant or beginning menopause or has been walking a long way and is hot or has just got out of work." Why do they only think from their own perspectives and think that everybody is doing/living/feeling the same?

f**k the general public. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 11:41 pm

Wear a t-shirt all you want.

Most people don’t wear only t-shirts if it’s below 15 Celsius. It’s just too cold for them. It was about 10 Celsius in London yesterday.

I’m a hot-blooded man, yet I wear at least a long-sleeved shirt if it’s 15 or below. 10: hoodie. 5: parka. minus 5: a hat and gloves, too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 11:45 pm

I used to always be cold and would wear a hat and scarf and everything at 10 Celsius (which is relatively mild). These days I seem to get hot quick and need to strip off (not literally). If I don't I get all wet under the armpits and it's gross. Such a stupid place to have sweat glands.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 12:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
I used to always be cold and would wear a hat and scarf and everything at 10 Celsius (which is relatively mild). These days I seem to get hot quick and need to strip off (not literally). If I don't I get all wet under the armpits and it's gross. Such a stupid place to have sweat glands.

If you take any psychiatric meds - those could be the reason for your increased body temperature/sweating.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 6:01 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

If you take any psychiatric meds - those could be the reason for your increased body temperature/sweating.

I've been on the same antidepressants since 2014. I've only recently started getting hot easier.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 12:49 am

I found that last winter was mild here so I rarely wore a jumper or jacket. Yet I saw lots of people wearing thick jackets. Maybe it was just me?

Anyway, I started using an antiperspirant, not just a deodorant. Antiperspirant applied underarms works to stop the actual sweating itself, it's not just a smell like deodorants and bodysprays are.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 12:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I've been on the same antidepressants since 2014. I've only recently started getting hot easier.

Oh, okay.

It was just a thought. Antidepressants are known for increased sweating since excess levels of serotonin at times, causes such.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 1:03 pm

Quote:
I found that last winter was mild here so I rarely wore a jumper or jacket. Yet I saw lots of people wearing thick jackets. Maybe it was just me?

It seems that NTs are the black and white thinkers here. They seem to think "oh it's winter, I must wear a big thick coat even if it's not even that cold".
I remember one hot summer's day it was pouring with rain and I went to the supermarket in my shorts, and the amount of stares I got was ridiculous. Everyone else had trousers on, as though they're afraid of a bit of rainwater touching their skin. Maybe they have sensory issues!

Quote:
Anyway, I started using an antiperspirant, not just a deodorant. Antiperspirant applied underarms works to stop the actual sweating itself, it's not just a smell like deodorants and bodysprays are.

I can't use antiperspirants because I seem to be allergic to it, as it causes severe itching under my arms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 1:12 pm

It’s better, from the standpoint of the police, to underdress than it is to overdress.

The cops find someone wearing a parka in 90-degree (30s Celsius) heat very suspicious.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 10:26 am

I'm the opposite of the OP. I tend to dress warm.

As a rule of thumb, I generally wear long sleeves any time the high is below 80 F (approximately 27 C). Where I live, there are large diurnal temperature swings. If the high is, say, 77 F (25 C), obviously it's warm enough during the warmest part of the day to be comfortable in short sleeves. However, the low will most likely be below 50 F (10 C). And a good portion of the day will be in the 60s F (approximately 16-20 C). I don't see the point of wearing short sleeves just because there will be a brief window during the day where it's warm enough to wear short sleeves.

People will make judgmental comments when I wear long sleeves on a 77 F (25 C) day. Yet these very same people will then put long sleeves on as soon as the sun goes down (at which point, I get to think to myself "Looks like I was right after all")

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 10:35 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

It seems that NTs are the black and white thinkers here. They seem to think "oh it's winter, I must wear a big thick coat even if it's not even that cold".
I remember one hot summer's day it was pouring with rain and I went to the supermarket in my shorts, and the amount of stares I got was ridiculous. Everyone else had trousers on, as though they're afraid of a bit of rainwater touching their skin. Maybe they have sensory issues!

Quote:

I can't use antiperspirants because I seem to be allergic to it, as it causes severe itching under my arms.

I have a comment to make on the bolded part. At the risk of contradicting my last post (where I said I dress warm), I was the opposite as a kid. When I was a kid, I liked to wear shorts if the high was 70 F (21 C).

I remember one day in 5th grade, we had a 70 degree day in November (which was unusual in the place I was raised). During recess, a teacher scolded me for wearing shorts. She said "It's November 1."

You're right when you say neurotypicals have black and white thinking (as in "it's a certain season, therefore I have to dress a certain way"). The teacher acted like the fact it was November somehow changed the fact it was 70 F.

Yet on 70 F days in September, teachers were totally fine with us wearing shorts at recess.

Then in January of 5th grade, I recall another 70 degree day (which was extremely rare for January). On the 70 degree January day, the teachers went one step further: They told us we couldn't even take our coats off unless we were wearing long sleeves.

Once again, the teachers were acting like the date on the calendar somehow changed the fact it was 70 degrees.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 6:56 am

They're just jealous of your cold resistant indestructo-body!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 7:06 am

Ironically I'm actually more sensitive to cold temperatures but I get hot easily, probably because I'm overweight. When I used to be my natural thin build, I was always cold.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2023, 7:13 pm

Walking 2 miles with higher body weight means your body produces more heat, and the core stays heated for longer so you are making a sensible choice.

If people look your way, wave back. Its just people sometimes think that you are cold and making a dumb choice.

I can get shivers and my teeth can clap and I still feel good. My body and my minds reaction to cold is OK, and I like being cold resistant. Its genetic in my case, but when I feel cold I am usually tired or even sick.

Currently I feel cold a lot and I also feel chronically tired, so I measure my health by how much cold I can tolerate.