25 Dec 2022, 1:27 pm

Thats just "Surfin bird" in Spanish!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

how can you tell? i could barely pick out a word in spanish. :oops: his voice reminds me of popeye.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

how can you tell? i could barely pick out a word in spanish. :oops: his voice reminds me of popeye.

The style and over all structure of the songs are quite similar.

The words are different, but its 'the same song' in the same way that George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is the "the same song" as the Chiffons' "He's So Fine". Close enough for a copyright lawsuit! Lol!

If you subtract the singer who...yeah...sounds like Popeye...it would be a pretty cool instrumental California surf song typical of that same era (instrumental surf rock -like Dick Dale, the Surfaris, or Ventures. Vocal surf, like the Beach Boys of the same era is whole other style). It has the staccato picking sound typical of that style that supposed to duplicate the feel of riding a surfboard. And like the Trashmen they add vocals. And like the Trashmen on 'surfin bird' the singer goes into verses of dib-dib-dip-dip type stuff.

Acttually I CAN pick out the title word "demo- lish- eon" in his croaking, but despite knowing some Espanol thats all I can pick out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:59 pm

^^^so it sounds like he's wailin' about tearin' up the joint. very rock-oriented, that. sorta like The Who before The Who.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 2:57 pm

That too. Very wild.

They were like the Who in that they were too good as musicians to be true punk, but like the Who they were predessors of punk and its sensibility (as the singer says at the end of the end of the below documentary).

Los Psychos (thats how its pronounced) were rediscovered by a young record collector in Spain apparently- who begged a radio station to play his vinyl of them, a third of a century after they broke up.

https://youtu.be/dDiwJDaNySg

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Dec 2022, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 3:32 pm

According to Wikipedia, the song was actually recorded in 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Saicos

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 3:40 pm

if it was inspired by "surfin' bird" it would have to have been recorded afterwards, as "bird" was recorded in december of '63 and released jan. 14, 1964.