How can I stop picking up accents from TV?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 12:30 am

Raleigh wrote:
We've just watched a 5 part BBC documentary on Russia.
Now I want to wear Russian peasant garb and grow some cabbages.

Just go easy on the vodka! :)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 3:14 am

When I was younger I picked up a lot of language mannerisms from Top Gear. It's been a long time since then, though.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 4:52 am

If you ever feel yourself slipping into inappropriate accents, just listen to this guy and she'll be right mate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 10:24 am

You could just tell your neighbors and workmates that you're an amateur actor and are staying in character for the weekend play.

Speaking in the wrong dialect works for Johnny Depp.

When he is just being himself offstage (or in a courtroom) he has vaguely posh, but not-to-posh British accent. Even though he is actually friggen American hillbilly from Kentucky. Lol!

I was involved in a small public access radio station in the Washington DC area. A young local guy had a rock music show briefly. He spoke in...a unique dialect. Image Tony Danza or Sylvester Stallone speaking in that blue collar 'yo! f****n ayyyee' northeast rust belt dialect. That. But combined with a southern drawl. Northern AND southern (like your car being in reverse and in drive) at the same time! He had a couple buddies assisting him. I finnally asked them "what region of the country does your friend come from?". They said 'just from around here". I then asked why he talked the way he does. They said "I dunno...he never talked that way until he started smoking weed".

So...some folks even have their own private dialect!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 10:46 am

well shoot Howdy allz yah allz...! uhm.. accents .. nope nope, its not a controllable thing for me. Either .
Yes am suppose to have a West Coast California accent .. then got into the midwest .. sure enough TV programs or not ... Accent came ...but it did serve to teach me how futile it was for me to try to stop this stuff. When I can , it lasts about 3-5 mins. and right back again into the local accent. And TV. is a rough one .. already have got a accent from watching too much BBC broadcasts. And then again , put me amongst midwest / Southern Peeps , And there I go again. it feels bloody mind boggling at times . But have grown to accept it and people that know me. Seem to enjoy it as a novelty. . ( it must be a provincial thing) whatever providence ,i am in there i am with that accent.
Have found often it has helped me with foriegn languages as my pronunciation of that languages words seem to improve greatly. But it might be nice to have a " OFF " switch once in a while . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 12:38 pm

Raleigh wrote:
If you ever feel yourself slipping into inappropriate accents, just listen to this guy and she'll be right mate.

He did something heroic, and it involved putting pants on. Thats all I could get out of it. :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 12:54 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

He did something heroic, and it involved putting pants on. Thats all I could get out of it. :lol:

Now am kinda wondering about meself , actually understood every word ??. :nerdy: .... :oops: .... :roll:

Helena Handbasket
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2022, 12:25 pm

Speaking for myself, I don't have a trace of any kind of accent...but I absorb other people's accents like a sponge. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, mate. Go with the flow. I love to entertain people with my accents:British, Aussie, Boston, New Yawk, Southern, French, Mexican...you name it. I also pick up the accents of people that I work with; but I try not to imitate them in their presence unless I know they won't be hurt by it. :x :o

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 3:00 pm

Helena Handbasket wrote:
Speaking for myself, I don't have a trace of any kind of accent...but I absorb other people's accents like a sponge. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, mate. Go with the flow. I love to entertain people with my accents:British, Aussie, Boston, New Yawk, Southern, French, Mexican...you name it. I also pick up the accents of people that I work with; but I try not to imitate them in their presence unless I know they won't be hurt by it. :x :o

lololzz.. yes its kinda fun to do it with people you know .. ... had often gotten smiles out of people ..
Might not be much ,but if I can bring a smile to someones face .. it feels good to me. Its rough when its out of control , am sometimes. afraid , i embarass myself :oops: and others in some situations. But mimicking the inflections in language seems to help in speaking other languages it has seemed to me. :nerdy:

Welcome to Wrong Planet Helena Handbasket... and Merry Christmas and " Appy Olidaze , eh Mate "

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 7:55 am

I read a long time ago that the Australian accent is the easiest to lose and the hardest to gain.

I know a few New Zealanders who have been here practically their whole lives and they still have their Kiwi accents. I know someone from Boston who has been here since she first got married. She now has grandchildren and a still very strong Bostonian accent.

Werewolf1061C
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2023, 8:10 am

After watching a show or movie from somewhere else you can reset by watching a video of someone from your own region. I also find that I do not have this problem when watching shows in other languages, so you could alternatively just get really into K-dramas or the like.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm

I'm not sure but I'm prone to this. Right now I'm watching stock car racing and it's hard to not sound like I'm from the south. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 11:40 pm

When I was a teenager I used the American words and ways to pronounce them instead of Canadian ones because I thought they were the "correct" way to say them.

I'm not so bad now, for example I say "zed" instead of "zee" even though I think "zed" is dumb and ruins the Alphabet Song at the end because it doesn't rhyme. And most Canadians pronounce titles with the word "Z" the American way anyhow, like "Dragon Ball Zee" and "World War Zee".

I wonder if kids in the UK sing the Alphabet song and have no problem with the end not rhyming? Also I sometimes mispronounce ZX Spectrum (a home computer released in the UK during the 80s) as Fed-Ex Spectrum because they both sound so similar. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 12:32 am

Zee/28.
240 Zed.

I say it the way the country it's from says it. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う