Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 3:36 pm

When will it end... :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 4:19 pm

Why should we take this delusional person seriously?

If he were a liberal, progressive Democrat, I would say the same thing.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 4:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why should we take this delusional person seriously?

If he were a liberal, progressive Democrat, I would say the same thing.

The problem is that either way he has a cult of dangerous nutjobs willing to commit violence and overthrow our government in his name.

That's something we SHOULD have taken seriously from the very beginning when he first made the comment years ago about how he could shoot somebody and not lose any voters.

It's not so much Trump I'm afraid of as it is the many crazy people in this country who support him. Or at least support the ideology of 'Trumpism'.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 8:14 pm

I realize I should be ignoring the man; I also realize how dangerous these statements can be given the existence of people willing to follow his beck and call to overthrow the government; and I also realize something doesn't have to be logical or consistent for Trump to say it and stick to it, but ....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this new accusation that these organizations conspired to influence voters, not that they actually changed or miscounted any votes?

If so, how is it different from the accusations in 2016 that the election was inappropriately influenced by Russia et al, and if it isn't different, then why is it OK to overthrow the government now, but it wasn't then?

The proper response to 2016 was to investigate the inappropriate influence and figure out how to prevent it in the future. That is still the proper response, IMHO, to 2020.

Because the simple fact is that even if voters have been manipulated and mislead, their votes are their votes and there is no way to know what the result would have been without the inappropriate influence. Meaning the election is still legitimate, just as people like me were forced to recognize with regard to 2016.

But, again, Trump's position isn't based on truth or logic, and I know that. He's using words that appear to designed to start a civil war. Or get his ardent followers spurred to actions that will get them thrown into jail. How conservatives can still downplay his words and excuse his intentions is beyond me. This is beyond puffery, and we have enough lunatics in this country for calls to action such as these to find willing takers. If he isn't aware of that, he's an idiot. Since I do not believe he is an idiot, he must be aware.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 8:20 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

It won't. Even if he dies a natural death there will be conspiracy theories and egomaniacs to fill in the void. Trump is a symptom, not a cause. His talent is inserting himself into a PR gap and abusing it. If it isn't him, it will be someone else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 5:43 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

It won't. Even if he dies a natural death there will be conspiracy theories and egomaniacs to fill in the void. Trump is a symptom, not a cause. His talent is inserting himself into a PR gap and abusing it. If it isn't him, it will be someone else.

Beat me to it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:02 am

too bad 'muuurica can't be as smart as the good townsfolk of springfield [oregon] who collectively turned their backs on the rampaging ad mascots (The Simpsons episode "attack of the 50 foot eyesores") and saved their town. who will save 'muuurica from itself?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:12 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Scary… but true.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:42 am

many 'muuricans want a strong man who will give them easy answers to complex problems and bless their petty hatreds for people different from themselves.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:57 pm

It’s all too scary for words.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 7:55 pm

it CAN happen here. and eventually will. in the history of the world there never has been a democracy that didn't eventually turn against itself.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:06 pm

One thing I want to add:

Even though we know it won't end with Trump, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep playing whack-a-mole with those popping up into the role.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 8:08 pm

problem is that many of our neighbors sabotage the rest of us.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:14 pm

On the bright side, he's such a mucking foron that he puts all of this stuff in writing for Jack Smith & the US DOJ to see. His "truths," over the months will all become part of his legal downfall.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:32 pm

i still think he will get away with it while he is alive. just like ken lay did.