Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2007, 11:24 am

Like old celtic songs?

http://www.navan.org/

Saw these guys at our celtic festival. They really are amazing. They sing in gaelic, and it's almost like the tears of the sky were falling when they sing.

Very haunting, usually pretty sad.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:53 pm

I do, very much. . . there didn't appear to be samples on this one. :(

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 3:46 pm

I like creepy music.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 4:08 pm

Yes. Older Dom & Roland, Digital, Source Direct, Dj 3D - all these guys are good for that kind of sound. More currently Spirit's really been up on it, I have his 7.10.05 Renegade Hardware set and its loaded with the like, only thing that sucks is MC Verse but whatever - if the track selection is gold so I can ignore it.

Oh, and another one:
http://www.djskandalus.com/skandalus-th ... eiling.mp3
She really gets ill on this, my favorite part probably being toward the end where she transitions from Malice Afterthought to I Like It Rough (Bailey rmx) (starts 65:10'ish, the synth at 66:15 is sheer murk, and the drop into I Like It Rough at 67:40 totally sets it); both very sublime tunes. Only one warning though, track 3's abruptly out of place with the rest of the set (9:15-17:00) - to this day I'm still not sure what she was getting at unless it was sheerly a promo run.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2007, 11:33 pm

I absolutely love haunting music like that linked in the first post. That Navan group sounds really beautiful based on a few short samples I listened to on their website. I will have to explore them some more! There is something really captivating to me about traditional acappella music like that. I really enjoy traditional Celtic and Nordic music.

I also like haunting music from many other genres like neofolk, neoclassical, and dark ambient. Just now I've been listening to Current 93 (Thunder Perfect Mind album), whom I consider to be one of the most haunting groups of all. They use a lot of traditional folk music elements in some of their music but are very experimental too. One of their best (and most haunting) songs, called Tam Lin, is based on a traditional English ballad. I could ramble on about them forever they are just amazing.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 11:40 pm

Haunting music:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... &start=135
there we go. Im in the process of uploading more as we speak. I was able to find way more than I expected but I still havent found my split with Nehmodt. Definetly the most haunting release Ive ever come up with

username88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:18 am

Ok I just updated my uploads. All comments are welcome..

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 9:04 pm

username88 wrote:
Ok I just updated my uploads. All comments are welcome..

Good work. I always imagine that if god made music it would sound like dark ambient. It's so natural sounding.

I would like to know how you make it. Probably if I made something it wouldn't be pure ambient because I like stuff that rocks out a little more with a mixture of quiet and laud.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Aug 2007, 8:24 pm

I like much of Clannad and some of Enya's music, a good source for ambient electronica, world music, and
eclectic is: http://www.echoes.org/

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Aug 2007, 10:06 pm

i love blackmetal. anything from celtic frost to emperor, to immortal. i love it all.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:58 pm

I like old celtic music :D , my mom think I'm crazy because I like it.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2007, 5:39 pm

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
I like old celtic music :D , my mom think I'm crazy because I like it.

Check out Thistle & Shamrock, and
you might want to take a certain lesson about poor work habits to heart: click & grin

ainvar
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2007, 8:20 pm

richie wrote:
Check out Thistle & Shamrock, and
you might want to take a certain lesson about poor work habits to heart: click & grin

It's funny, but my first girlfriend was a very avid fan of Thistle and Shamrock. She recorded every show that came on (to audio cassettes) for a number of years. She eventually gave me her collection...I still have it around here somewhere. It's also funny, as I just remembered the host's last name is Ritchie. Ah...

I find alot of Dougie McLean's music to be very haunting, and I love the Medieval Babes. Something about choruses...

Haunting music just seems to fill the little cracks in my soul as I lay listening to it...it overcomes me. It can be from any genre, although Celtic and ambient electronic are my favourites.

=)

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2007, 10:14 pm

Uh does celtic new age count lol :oops: , but i guess ill say Joy Division (R.I.P. Ian Curtis)

KindofBlue

03 Sep 2007, 5:05 pm

I am listening to Mahler's 6th Symphony, which sounds haunting to me. Not as in scary but as in emotionally wrenching.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 9:04 pm

Sunn 0))) can be fairly haunting at times, as can Fushitsusha, so yes, I suppose so.