Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2022, 1:20 am

Some years ago, when we still used DSM-IV, I got a written Dx of Asperger's from a reputable mental hospital. I think I was about 50yo. That Dx cleared the way for me to get help with Asperger's.

DSM-5 moved Asperger's into Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I remember seeing that everywhere "Asperger's" appears, it shall be deemed to read "ASD."

Now my family doc says I'm not Dx'd for Autism, I'm Dx'd for Asperger's. This is in connection with my insurance company.

Can anybody tell me what to do now? Is there a current DSM5 paragraph number that solves this? Or do I have to go and get Dx'd all over again?

The original Dx took 2 years waiting and several appointments after that. I'd really like to use the Dx I've got.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 2:12 am

Hello, Claradoon! Long time, no see! It's good to see you again.

I wonder if you could discuss this with your primary doc. In view of the great expense, also the time, to re-evaluate and re-diagnose, it would make sense for both you and the health system to use the earlier diagnosis as it maps onto the current one. In current nomenclature you might be ASD1, 2 or 3 depending on how much support you need. Could a neuropsychologist review your old testing and your recent medical records and do this? Push back and ask if your doc can find someone who could do this sleight-of-hand.

Sorry you are tangled up in bureaucracy yet again. Good luck.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 5:37 am

I was under the impression that an Aspergers diagnosis, DSM IV, automatically transferred to an Autism Spectrum Disorder Level One, Without Intellectual Disability and Speech Delay, DSM 5.

The code number is 299.

Here is the relevant link

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:31 am

The DSM 5 diagnostic manual is a guideline. Clinicians will not lose their licenses for going against it. Almost 10 years in most clinicians abide by it but very occasionally I still read about the "Aspergers" diagnosis as well as the "High Functioning Autism" diagnosis which has never been in any manual being given out.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:58 am

The ICD is also used in the US.

HFA, as you know, has never been an official diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 7:24 am

I think you’re okay, Claradoon.

Your diagnosis never “expired.” It’s just been “taken over” by the DSM V diagnosis of ASD, Level One.

This is explicitly stated in the link I posted. It’s right below the “severity” section.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 6:55 pm

Hi Claradoon. Good to see you again.

Kortie is right. Your diagnosis is just fine here, should be in Canada too. Best wishes.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2022, 3:39 am

BeaArthur wrote:
neuropsychologist.

Hello Bea Arthur! Good to see you again. I'm afraid I've been away so long I don't know how to answer without using Quote :roll:

Actually, it was discussing this with my primary doctor (by that you mean my family doctor?) that started this trouble. She's old faithful in my care, even makes house calls! But she can't get past Asperger's.

You're probably right about a neuropsychologist - they have invented that, have they? I'm so behind the times. It sounds like somebody I should consult anyway.

Thanks so much.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2022, 3:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was under the impression that an Aspergers diagnosis, DSM IV, automatically transferred to an Autism Spectrum Disorder Level One, Without Intellectual Disability and Speech Delay, DSM 5.

The code number is 299.

Here is the relevant link

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html

Hi, KK, this is absolutely perfect, thanks so much.

That's what I'm looking for, "automatically transferred". It's reassurace to the doctor who is not a psychiatrist. But I think what you've given me would life that burden off her.

My old Dx doesn't specify With or Without. But maybe we could just leave it at ASD.

These days I seem to have speech delay. The less I strive to act "normal" the more relaxed I am about these things.

Many thanks for your help!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2022, 3:57 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The DSM 5 diagnostic manual is a guideline

I'm not sure what a clinician is. My doc is a family doc, what we used to call GP. She won't approach the DSM casually.

I knew that HFA isn't official. Conversationally, it could take some of the heat off people who would say, "You can't have Asperger's, you can walk and talk at the same time."

Retirement has spared me so many people to please.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2022, 4:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you’re okay, Claradoon.

Your diagnosis never “expired.” It’s just been “taken over” by the DSM V diagnosis of ASD, Level One.

This is explicitly stated in the link I posted. It’s right below the “severity” section.

Thanks again, so very much, Kortie!

This is exactly what I was hoping to find. You word it perfectly; I did indeed feel "expired."

Onwards and upwards (whew!).

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Dec 2022, 4:02 am

blazingstar wrote:
Hi Claradoon. Good to see you again.

Kortie is right. Your diagnosis is just fine here, should be in Canada too. Best wishes.

Hi blazingstar, good to hear from you too.

Yes you're right, I believe. I'm clear to forge on ahead. :)