What type of people allow a 5 year old to transition!?

Page 10 of 16 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Um, biologically there are just two genders; male and female. These days gender is becoming "how you feel" rather than your biology. I still go for the biology, like you don't need to conform to gender stereotypes to be that gender but you still are that sex.

What do you think causes a person to have feelings on any issue (not gender)?
Are feelings part of us, shaped by something in our brains?
Are they shaped by our heart?
What exactly is a feeling and are they a biproduct of our biological existence?
Do we normally trivialise our feelings as wrong?

Sorry to get so deep with that but really, what is a feeling?
Are our feelings not valid or part of us?

Feeling that you are an astronaut when you aren't -- OK that's different.
Astronauts do specific objective things like going to the moon.
Feeling like you are the opposite sex is a personal, subjective experience.
There's no measurable way to discount that the person is wrong.
They don't have to go to the moon or do a certain job to be the opposite sex.

We know we can't just trust our genitals to determine our sex or sexuality.
Many people are born with male genitals but they "feel" gay or attracted to men.
Is that OK even though it's not the typical use of male genitals or maleness?
Many people are born with female genitals but they "feel" lesbian or attracted to women.
Is that OK even though it's not the typical use of female genitals, and it won't make babies?

These people are allowed to "feel" attraction for the same sex.
You said you have no problem with that.

Why can't people "feel" like they are the opposite sex or that their anatomy is wrong?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:27 pm

I'm not talking about gay people. Some gay men are just as masculine as straight men, and some gay women are just as feminine as straight women. I'm a straight woman but I'm not that feminine.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:31 pm

Not the case for all, but is surprising how many gay men grew up without a father living at home, and for some, they do say that this absence did have a bearing on their sexual preferences.
Not sure if this is true or not, but in my area of the country where there are a lot of council houses, most families are single parent families and there are young men now who do not know how to do very basic mechanical repairs to simple objects because of this, where in the past where it was one rare for a family to have an absent father, it was also rare for children to grow up without learning the basics.

It really does make me think of how much and to what degree ones childhood development has on our adult lives? (I don't mean this to be negative or positive in this. Just saying this because of what I had read, watched on TV or heard being discussed in the past. Maybe those who are gay can answer about their upbringing just out of interest to see if the theory relates?

(I could start a poll on a new thread so people can vote without being seen as to who voted? I will do that in a bit. Hang on).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not talking about gay people. Some gay men are just as masculine as straight men, and some gay women are just as feminine as straight women. I'm a straight woman but I'm not that feminine.

I know.
I was just using it as an example of people "feeling" different to their anatomy or their biological role in reproduction.

You feel you love your partner. You feel rats are good pets. You feel like spiders are scary.

Those are all feelings. You accept all of your feelings as being right / acceptable / normal, even though people might say you're too young for your partner, or rats are dirty, or spiders are cool.

All of our feelings matter because they're somehow intrinsic to our minds or bodies.

Most transgendered people have the "feeling" or awareness of being trans from early childhood. Very rarely is it something people just decide on a whim, or change their mind about. You might decide one day to leave your partner. You might decide that rats aren't the best pets after all. You may develop a like of spiders. Those are all doubtful but they could happen. With trans it's usually a permanent feeling. Maybe it's a true mismatch of neurology and genitals. Maybe it's because of atypical hormones or body chemistry. Maybe it's something we'll never be able to explain scientifically, about what causes it. Either way I doubt many people want the experience of being trans just for "fun" or a passing fancy.

Who would want to risk discrimination and judgment by others, or increased difficulty with body dysmorphia and dating or sex? It's great that the world is becoming more aware and accepting but I don't think it's as simple as "I want to be a man so I am one!", like it's a party trick or circus act. If you find it confusing or even if you disagree with it that's your choice. There's not really anything we can do or say to convince you otherwise. All we ask is that you (and anyone else who finds it offensive or confusing), refrain from invalidating their experience or their feelings, especially on a public forum where many of the members are transgendered or feel no gender at all.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Not the case for all, but is surprising how many gay men grew up without a father living at home, and for some, they do say that this absence did have a bearing on their sexual preferences.
Not sure if this is true or not, but in my area of the country where there are a lot of council houses, most families are single parent families and there are young men now who do not know how to do very basic mechanical repairs to simple objects because of this, where in the past where it was one rare for a family to have an absent father, it was also rare for children to grow up without learning the basics.

I’m a single mom. My son is learning the basics from me. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
It really does make me think of how much and to what degree ones childhood development has on our adult lives? (I don't mean this to be negative or positive in this. Just saying this because of what I had read, watched on TV or heard being discussed in the past. Maybe those who are gay can answer about their upbringing just out of interest to see if the theory relates?

I’m not straight, and I had a mother and father who were “in the picture.”

Quote:
(I could start a poll on a new thread so people can vote without being seen as to who voted? I will do that in a bit. Hang on).

I think it’s a bad idea.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 29 Jan 2023, 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:49 pm

Some people believe that gay people choose to be gay, but I don't believe that. I think gay people are born gay and it's not something you suddenly decide. But not being gay myself, I don't know for sure. But I know it's not a mental illness or a result of being abused. I think homosexuality is a natural thing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I know.
I was just using it as an example of people "feeling" different to their anatomy or their biological role in reproduction.

You feel you love your partner. You feel rats are good pets. You feel like spiders are scary.

Those are all feelings. You accept all of your feelings as being right / acceptable / normal, even though people might say you're too young for your partner, or rats are dirty, or spiders are cool.

All of our feelings matter because they're somehow intrinsic to our minds or bodies.

Most transgendered people have the "feeling" or awareness of being trans from early childhood. Very rarely is it something people just decide on a whim, or change their mind about. You might decide one day to leave your partner. You might decide that rats aren't the best pets after all. You may develop a like of spiders. Those are all doubtful but they could happen. With trans it's usually a permanent feeling. Maybe it's a true mismatch of neurology and genitals. Maybe it's because of atypical hormones or body chemistry. Maybe it's something we'll never be able to explain scientifically, about what causes it. Either way I doubt many people want the experience of being trans just for "fun" or a passing fancy.

Who would want to risk discrimination and judgment by others, or increased difficulty with body dysmorphia and dating or sex? It's great that the world is becoming more aware and accepting but I don't think it's as simple as "I want to be a man so I am one!", like it's a party trick or circus act. If you find it confusing or even if you disagree with it that's your choice. There's not really anything we can do or say to convince you otherwise. All we ask is that you (and anyone else who finds it offensive or confusing), refrain from invalidating their experience or their feelings, especially on a public forum where many of the members are transgendered or feel no gender at all.

I know what you mean there, but again it's gender Vs sex, and if you don't feel either gender you're still biologically a male or a female.
Like I say my rats are my sons and I believe that they're my sons, my own children, but biologically they are not of course. They're not even the same species as me lol.

It's OK to feel a certain way as long as people aren't enforcing it on to other people and making us feel like bad people for preferring a world with two genders. You're Non-Binary but if I knew you in real life, like as a work colleague or something, and we got on, I would like you for you, whichever gender you identify as. I'd probably see you as a woman if you look like one and don't have a man voice, but I wouldn't force it upon you like "you must identify as a woman otherwise I don't like you". That is unkind and disrespectful.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:46 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

I'm a single parent like TP. Have been since the kids were babies.
My daughter is gay even though she grew up with me as a woman / mother.
My son is not gay even though he grew up without a father.

My exh is gay and his parents were married 50 years.

My exbf is gay and his parents were married 60 years.
He's also trans, but I won't get into that.

I feel like my brain doesn't have a gender.
It's just a brain.
Brains are agendered as far as I know, like elbows or teeth.
My parents were married 50 years.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:50 pm

I started to do a poll but there were too many options. Uhmm. No idea how to do it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I'm a single parent like TP. Have been since the kids were babies.
My daughter is gay even though she grew up with me as a woman / mother.
My son is not gay even though he grew up without a father.

My exh is gay and his parents were married 50 years.

My exbf is gay and his parents were married 60 years.
He's also trans, but I won't get into that.

I feel like my brain doesn't have a gender.
It's just a brain.
Brains are agendered as far as I know, like elbows or teeth.
My parents were married 50 years.

That is all complicated with nothing fitting a theory. :D
Are your parents still allive today?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:55 pm

Sexuality is too complex to fit into one specific theory. We like what we like. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s not a sign of some supposed subpar upbringing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:58 pm

I'm not a big believer in theories on any topic, but especially not regarding sociology or sexuality.
People are all different.
The only reason we don't see these differences more often is that most people hide them.

My father passed away.
My mother is alive but has cancer.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:06 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I’m a single mom. My son is learning the basics from me. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

I’m not straight, and I had a mother and father who were “in the picture.”

Quote:

I think it’s a bad idea.

Discovered a poll is just about impossible as there are too many options and those are just the options I can think of! Is that way it is a bad idea?
Your son will learn well with the basics from you. I believe that nearly all children with the rare exceptions learn more from their parents or parent than they do in school by nature of spending more time with them and being naturally closer to them.
I do wonder how much of an impact single parenthood has on their children. Certainly not blaming anyone and I realize that parenting as acouple is hard enough let alone being a single parent! (I have never had children but have a brother who has 8 of various ages and he is a single parent. They are well cared for. Just sad when things don't work out between parents but life does not always work out to plan. If it did I would have been married young and would have a house and children and a wife and a great job and... and... :D (But I escaped life somehow! :D ).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:08 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Sexuality is too complex to fit into one specific theory.

Think I just found that when I started writing a poll and it got complicated!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm not a big believer in theories on any topic, but especially not regarding sociology or sexuality.
People are all different.
The only reason we don't see these differences more often is that most people hide them.

My father passed away.
My mother is alive but has cancer.

Hope cancer goes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 10:28 pm

Quote:
They are well cared for. Just sad when things don't work out between parents but life does not always work out to plan.

Sometimes single people adopt children. For them, being a single parent is the plan.

Families come in all shapes and sizes.