What type of people allow a 5 year old to transition!?

Page 5 of 16 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 6:35 am

Pushing a child to transition is munchausens by proxie and is as much abuse as forced conversion “therapy” of gay children.

The biggest difference I see is that liberal parents believe it is in the best interest of their children to nurture the child’s individuality, and conservative parents think it is in the best interest of the child to teach the child to conform to a particular set of social norms.

both make mistakes. My kids frequently look back at their childhoods and ask why I allowed them to do things. My grandson loves football (he’s 2) he will never be allowed to play. (His dad finds the sport barbaric and dangerous)

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 6:56 am

Joe90 wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Joe, woke parents would not think you are transgender just because you like traditionally male things, they know better than that.

Sorry, I didn't quite know what you meant. The quotation marks confused me.

What quotation marks?

Quote:
You are lucky you didn't have woke parents. They would have sent you to a "therapist" to "affirm" your male "gender" and later have you in puberty blockers.

Oh ok, you meant the quoted posts.

What I was saying was, these types of "woke" parents wouldn't think their kids is transgender just because they like things that are not traditional for their gender, there's much more to it, and they would know that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2023, 7:17 am

Canadian1911 wrote:

What I was saying was, these types of "woke" parents wouldn't think their kids is transgender just because they like things that are not traditional for their gender, there's much more to it, and they would know that.

I know plenty of children who like things not traditional for their genders and exactly one child whom I suspect may be transgender and transition in some future.
It's hard to describe, but it goes way beyond the standard tomboy style. At the age of 10, you couldn't tell she's a girl unless you knew her name. The way she moves, the way she speaks, the way she interacts with other kids - all shout "boy".
At 11, she's still "she" with very male expression and accepted among peers as such. We're not close enough to each other to know if she wants to transition.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 7:22 am

magz wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

I know plenty of children who like things not traditional for their genders and exactly one child whom I suspect may be transgender and transition in some future.
It's hard to describe, but it goes way beyond the standard tomboy style. At the age of 10, you couldn't tell she's a girl unless you knew her name. The way she moves, the way she speaks, the way she interacts with other kids - all shout "boy".
At 11, she's still "she" with very male expression and accepted among peers as such. We're not close enough to each other to know if she wants to transition.

Probably still too young to know or to be thinking of things such as transitioning. You said it yourself though, it goes far beyond just being a tomboy.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 7:32 am

I know many children who are transgender. The nature of my (non public) school causes families to move them there. We also have a higher than representative number of autistic kids. We also have an actual, highly functional zero tolerance bullying policy.

(In fact I had an autistic kid tell me a few weeks ago that if another student was going to talk about him “like that” he was going to leave and bemoan the fact that “this has happened to me everywhere I go.” I got to tell him, “it doesn’t work like that here. We talk to her, we give her a chance to become a better person while we supervise her closely and give her feedback, and if it doesn’t work - SHE leaves.”)

I do see far more ftm kids - which I think makes sense in a patriarchal society. I think it would be really hard to give up an advantage when you already feel marginalized.

Incidentally, the ones I have kept track of include three happy, well adjusted young men, one individual who transitioned socially only and now identifies as NB, and one suicide despite extreme parental support, a large group of friends, and intensive therapy - there were a lot of additional challenges there.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:16 am

Quantum duck wrote:
Developmentally children do not understand that gender is fixed until three or four years of age. Before that, most of them are “gender fluid”. At around three they begin to identify with their own gender and attempt to identify the traits of that gender (based on their society) and emphasize them.

I taught preschool. I had never heard of transgender people, so I assumed Kevin was gay (which was fine with me) looking back - I’m confident that Kevin was exactly what she said she was - a little girl. I hope she grew into a happy, confident woman.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

The_Walrus wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Have any five year olds been allowing to make irreversible changes?

No, but the transphobes don’t actually care about children, they just want to control how other people express their gender.

This. And the political right wing wants to exploit the bigotry of their voters by using this as a divisive culture war topic to get them all riled up about their perceived enemies on the political left in order to give their votes to right wing candidates, who then ignore all of their working class constituents and do whatever's best for their corporate sponsors.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2023, 12:03 pm

Quantum duck wrote:
I do see far more ftm kids - which I think makes sense in a patriarchal society.

I think ftm wouldn't be because of a patriarchal society (patriarchal societies don't allow girls to do boys things), but because they don't like puberty. Maybe they don't want to get harassed by boys because of boobs and bunda etc. So they dress like boys, prefer short hair, etc.

Last edited by Silence23 on 26 Jan 2023, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 12:06 pm

The USA is a patriarchal society.

If you are transitioning, you aren’t a girl doing boy things. You are a boy. Full stop.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2023, 12:16 pm

A patriarchal society is a society where males dominate over females. Males make the rules how females must behave etc. They don't allow females to behave like males.

Such societies exist in many places in the world, but not in the USA. There it's not possible for males to forbid females to do male things.

Though there may be religious parallel societies, where males determine what females are allowed to do, which is aided by brainwashing beginning in early childhood.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 4:10 pm

Silence23, Your assessment of my country conflicts with my lived experience.

The rules in question do not have to be formal laws.

And again, ftm transition is not “females behaving like males.”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Joe, woke parents would not think you are transgender just because you like traditionally male things, they know better than that.

I never said they were woke or that they thought I was transgender. I was just making a point that I don't 100% believe in gender stereotypes.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 4:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

I never said they were woke or that they thought I was transgender. I was just making a point that I don't 100% believe in gender stereotypes.

True, I was more so trying to deflect designhusbies (or however you spell it)'s assertion that woke parents would think you are transgender.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 5:55 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
You are lucky you didn't have woke parents. They would have sent you to a "therapist" to "affirm" your male "gender" and later have you in puberty blockers.

Who needs to make a serious point when we can become hysterical over strawman caricatures of our opponents. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

Who needs to make a serious point when we can become hysterical over strawman caricatures of our opponents. 8)

Why, hasn't that happened? Are you so sure?

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2023, 6:21 pm

Well, the “therapist” would definitely need to be in quotes.

Because we’ve got malpractice there to go with the munchausens by proxie.

I’m not saying this has never happened (can’t prove a negative)

But it’s like saying “we can’t give a man custody of his daughter! Any man who wants custody of a little girl is probably a pedophile.”

No, more likely a good, caring parent. Just like all those parents who want their children to be able to live their truth.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 7:02 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

Why, hasn't that happened? Are you so sure?

On what do you base this assumption? The fact that a parent might take significant gender dysphoria seriously isn't the same as having a kneejerk reaction to force any kid who isn't perfectly gender conforming into therapy or more.

Typically, that's conservatives who tend to be more prone to imposing binary gender expectations upon their kids, but I wouldn't make a strawman about conservatives all sending potentially queer kids off to conversion therapy either, because it's not a political matter.

Hell, some of those 'woke' parents didn't become 'woke' until they started taking their kid's issue seriously. Some of those folks were progressives already, but some of them were conservatives who bought the usual talking points until they were given a personal example.

But somehow, it's all the fault of t3h woke for... what exactly?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う