Priest shares woman's cheating confession with husband XD

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 12:44 pm

Woman Blames Priest For Ruining Her Marriage After He Told Her Husband She Confessed To Cheating

:lol:

But seriously, I agree, cheaters should get no confidentiality.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 3:36 pm

Regardless of what you think anyone deserves, apparently the priest has committed one of the worst possible sins, according to Catholic doctrine, if I understand correctly. See the Wikipedia article about the Seal of confession in the Catholic Church.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 5:05 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Regardless of what you think anyone deserves, apparently the priest has committed one of the worst possible sins. . .
Worse than adultery?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

scott267
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2022, 5:09 pm

Is there any confirmation that this actually occured? I know this may be hard to believe, but not everything on Reddit (or the internet in general) is true.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 5:12 pm

Technically he needs to be defrocked.

The only instance a catholic priest can breach the trust in a confessional is where the person is at risk of harm or harm to others.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 10:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Regardless of what you think anyone deserves, apparently the priest has committed one of the worst possible sins. . .
Worse than adultery?

I'm no expert (and I'm not even Catholic), but, as far as I can tell, yes.

Both adultery and "breaking the seal of the confessional" are considered to be very grave "mortal sins." But "breaking the seal of the confessional" is, additionally, what the Catholic Church calls a "reserved sin" or "canonical crime," which results in excommunication. Furthermore, "breaking the seal of the confessional" is in the gravest category of "reserved sins," in that the excommunication can be lifted only by the Pope (or, during 2016-2017, by the Pope's special "Missionaries of Mercy"), not by an ordinary priest or bishop.

Some sources:

- Catholic Answers
- Catholic Culture
- Aleteia

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2022, 10:25 pm

scott267 wrote:
Is there any confirmation that this actually occured? I know this may be hard to believe, but not everything on Reddit (or the internet in general) is true.

That's a good question.

It was reported in Yahoo News (not Reddit), but it's not at all clear how or why this story came to the attention of Yahoo News.

And, as far as I can tell, we have only the woman's unconfirmed claim that she heard about her husband's adultery from the priest. For all we know, she might have actually found out about it some other way, such as by snooping on her husband's computer, and perhaps might have told the story about the priest to cover up said snooping.

We just don't know one way or another.

- - - - - - - - -
EDIT: Oops! In the above, I mis-remembered some key details in the article. My reply above contains some errors, corrected in a subsequent post below. But my main point still stands.
- - - - - - - - -

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 24 Dec 2022, 2:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 12:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
And, as far as I can tell, we have only the woman's unconfirmed claim that she heard about her husband's adultery from the priest.

According to the article it was the woman cheating, not her husband.
Quote:
In a post originally written on the subreddit, "r/legaladvice" and then reshared on "r/facepalm," the poster is honest from the start, telling readers that three years ago, during a tumultuous time in her marriage, she made the mistake of cheating on her husband.

Mistake or not, cheating is cheating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 12:51 am

It is like when the schoolyard bully would blame the class snitch for getting him expelled, while completely ignoring the fact that bullying is an expellable offense.

Do the crime, do the time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 1:03 am

^ Exactly. 8)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 2:41 am

r00tb33r wrote:
According to the article it was the woman cheating, not her husband.
Quote:
In a post originally written on the subreddit, "r/legaladvice" and then reshared on "r/facepalm," the poster is honest from the start, telling readers that three years ago, during a tumultuous time in her marriage, she made the mistake of cheating on her husband.

You're right. I somehow misread or mis-remembered the article. Besides the error you caught, I also, somehow, missed the reference to the subreddit.

Be that as it may, a corrected version of my main point would be that we have no way of knowing, for sure, whether her husband was truthful about how he found out she was cheating. He claimed to have heard it from the priest, but, for all we know, he might have actually found out some other way, such as by snooping on her computer.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 2:52 am

Morale of the story... I gained a little faith! :lol: :lmao: