Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 4:42 pm

The Discusison-thread here in the 'Social Skills And Making Friends Forum' 'I Dislike Socialization But I Crave It So Badly' might come to mind over the holiday season.

What's helpful is that I personally (and I sense many of us here on WP) reject so much of overcommercialization of the holidays. Those holiday shows, movies, etc. are best described as awful, icky sweet.

Any holiday experiences - even experiences described in one-paragraph?

Struggle7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2022, 9:39 am

I got one. I'm new at work. I gave gifts to the people I work closely with. Of the six people who opened their gifts, I got four thank yous, one "I love it." The other one didn't acknowledge the gift. But the one reaction that really bothered me was the guy who interviewed me when I got the job. He brings his dog to work frequently. I took a few pictures of the dog, made an enlargement of one, matted and framed it, and gave it to him as a gift. (I included homemade Christmas cards signed by me as well.)

He asked me if I had given him the "photo frame." Not the photo, but the "photo frame." I said I did. He asked me if I'd mind if he took the photo I took and enlarged out, and he put a different photo in.

I said I didn't mind, but I WAS pretty pissed. I mean, if he's going to take it home and display it there, why tell me about it? But I guess he's going to display the different photo at work, and I guess he thought I might notice if I saw a different photo in a different frame.

I just think it's pretty rude. The photo of his dog that I took wasn't professionally posed, but it's not as if she is taking a dump or licking her genitals.

More and more, I'm just fed up with people anymore. I try to be nice, and people are indifferent. But if I dare show an attitude, like if people say they will help me be better on my job by giving me feedback or hooking up equipment for me and they don't, and I get pissed about it, I'm the worst person in the world.

Off topic, but I honestly just don't want to work anymore. No company is willing to train, and if they do, it honestly isn't much help. They expect you to figure out stuff on your own, then they get mad if you don't figure it out in time. I usually DO figure it out, but it's usually two weeks after they fire me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And if I offended anyone by saying that, sorry.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 4:41 pm

The holidays can be an indicator of who may, or may not be good friends.

Acquaintances people who share the same occupations are good to a point. I sense that friendships formed via recreational activities outside of our occupations (arts & culture activities can be good choices) might be most favorable.

Struggle7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2023, 4:31 pm

Thanks for your reply, JUSTFOUNDHERE. Spot-on!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:12 pm

Any experiences over the holidays which "broke the ice so to speak" on developing friendships?