Would I have always achieved things had I planned for them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 2:37 pm

I'm feeling as though at 18, I should have sat down and written a long-term plan of things I wanted to achieve in life even though at the time, I had no idea what exactly I wanted to achieve. I seem to think other people around me at the time were already learning to drive a car and knew what career they wanted. I didn't seem to bother at the time to ask my parents for driving lessons and only did them mainly because I allowed my dad to persuade me to do it even though at the time I had little interest in it. I seem to feel quite bad that I wasn't one of those kids who WANTED to drive and was eager to learn, pass and get on the road. I didn't pass and get on the road in my own car until I was 28. I was going on to college after sixth form to do art and design but I feel there few options for me to take and I was probably persuaded to do art and design at college because it was a subject that I got quite a high grade than other subjects I took for exams. I had no idea that by 26, I would be work in a job like the one I am doing now but I'm nearly always feeling as though I made decisions or choices I wasn't 100% wanting to take. I'm now not really into art and design and seem not to want to take a career in that field anymore.

I remember seeing a book by a guy who started his own social media business titled ''Happy Sexy Millionaire'' and he explains how at 18 when he had little direction on what to do, he planned for things like getting a flashy car, getting a girlfriend and becoming a millionaire and by the time he was 25, he was a multi-millionaire but he did explain that other things he may have planned hadn't been attained or achieved and realised that some of those things are not always attainable and don't always bring full contentment and satisfaction to your life. I seem to feel I share the same feeling as him but of course, I'm different as I am not a multi-millionaire, and I haven't got a flashy car and I am not in a relationship with anyone.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 4:38 pm

There is a saying "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

I wish I'd planned my life better, but on the understanding that the plan would change and evolve as I changed and evolved over time. What may seem important at 18 may seem trivial and unrewarding at 30. If you don't plan, you will just wander aimlessly through life until you become old and then wonder about life passing you by. I have few regrets now at 62, but wish I'd put a bit more effort into achieving the things I really wanted to do. But, you can't look back, only forward from this moment and decide what do I want to do now, at this very moment and set down plans for it, adding more and more details as you plan so you can clearly see every step of the way. Good luck.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 4:51 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Would I have always achieved things had I planned for them?

The use of 'always' in the question demands that the answer be No, not always.

However ...

Having a plan, or even just a desired outcome, does set up the condition of looking at things you do in life & asking, "Hmm, will doing this help make my desired outcome happen?"

There is no 100% absolutely guaranteed guarantee that a thing will make your plan work out, life does happily toss curve balls at us, health, accident, crime, world events, but ...
... that question about whether a thing will or will not support your desired outcome, your goal, is still a question worth asking and a thing worth taking action on.

And ... taking actions supporting your plan is a lot more likely to produce helpful results than taking no action will.

And ... there is that semi-famous saying about how if you have a plan, the plan can be modified for changing conditions which might arise between you and your goal.

If you have no plan, have no goal, no place you want to get to, well then, that little boat that is you out in the ocean of life is at the mercy of the winds and tides.

If you say, "I want to go THERE" then you can examine the situation and determine how to work with, or work against, the winds and tides which are between you and THERE.

Oh ...

It is also possible to allow for, "Well, actually, now I can see that going Over There instead of THERE, might work better instead."

It can also help to have a "I want to go there by this point in time", but ... be aware that it is sometimes destructive to have an absolute point in time goal and have the attitude of it being an inviolable absolute on the order of some fanatical religious dogma. Life has a way of tossing in wrinkles which can lengthen the calendar time involved in reaching a planned goal.

Conversely, sometimes good fortune can bring a plan to completion sooner.

And there's also the possibility of reaching the planned goal but by a different route than originally envisioned.

So ...

The thing to do is have a clear goal, planned/intended destination ...

... and have an idea of a path you want to take to get there ...

... but ...

... do be flexible enough to allow for real life to do those things which real life is famous for doing, or sometimes not doing.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 5:55 pm

Radish wrote:
There is a saying "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

I wish I'd planned my life better, but on the understanding that the plan would change and evolve as I changed and evolved over time. What may seem important at 18 may seem trivial and unrewarding at 30. If you don't plan, you will just wander aimlessly through life until you become old and then wonder about life passing you by. I have few regrets now at 62, but wish I'd put a bit more effort into achieving the things I really wanted to do. But, you can't look back, only forward from this moment and decide what do I want to do now, at this very moment and set down plans for it, adding more and more details as you plan so you can clearly see every step of the way. Good luck.

The thing is how can you plan for your life when things such as circumstances change or things that maybe you didn't originally plan for ? I remember someone on a podcast discussing the feelings that people have of feeling left behind in life pointing out the ''shoulds'' in life such as ''I should have graduated at that age'', ''Should have bought a house then'', ''Should have got married then'' etc and said that those things are not always in your control and that you have to accept that life doesn't always work on the timeline you want.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 6:10 pm

chris1989 wrote:
The thing is how can you plan for your life when things such as circumstances change or things that maybe you didn't originally plan for ?

Plan with the understanding that your plan is your desire, not a set in stone script which life is obligated to adhere to.

And then you take action on your plan while recognizing that both your plan and the point below have validity at the same time...

Quote:
those things are not always in your control and that you have to accept that life doesn't always work on the timeline you want.

True. That is part of understanding how real life functions.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 7:09 pm

Planning and executing said plan are two different things, and are vastly two different states.

It's as different as the theories from the practice.

One does fine in life to suck at planning while still be good at executing. At least to a passing degree, though not doing their "best".
They do, so to speak, drift, despite the ability to navigate.

Then there's the type who's great at planning while suck at executing. This is the case for any individual for so many reasons.
Sure they have a map or a plot. But they either suck at following directions, overestimated something, didn't know themselves and their limits or where they are... Or are trying to sail with an island and never had a boat to begin with.

I'm the fricking latter.
As a child I already tried to cultivate self discipline and independence. But something held me back and my parents and everyone were helpless and clueless.

Plan or no plan, I just grew up worse. To a point my parents couldn't control me. No one knows what to do. It's all about emotional regulation in my case.

Even until now I'm struggling with the very same nuisance to a point I question whether or not my intentions mattered anymore.
To a point that I don't have any future in myself, that I don't see myself in years except hoping to be free someday.

Now I suck at both. Because after years, all I see is this loop of a pattern for the last 7 years.
I want to go elsewhere but something is keeping me in circles. :x

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:59 pm

Plans can be good, but, sometimes plans change. Or you learn new things, or things about yourself, and everything changes so nothing goes according to plan anyways.

When graduating high school I felt immense pressure to have a plan. It was relieved when I was accepted into business school as I knew what I was going to do for the next couple years.. but then things got stressful again after that. It wouldn't be for another decade that I'd learn I was on the spectrum. While I am talented with some things in the business realm, when my symptoms act up they cause me problems and I'm better suited to doing the construction contracting work I'm doing now.

I definitely never planned on taking a course with a bunch of micro-credentials to get into film set construction, but, here I am now doing that thing and will pursue it because for a Job it pays very well w/o the added hassles of running your own contracting business.

Some people are lucky to KNOW as a teenager what their lifelong occupation is destined to be, but those people are very few and far between IMO. I think it's far better for most of us to maybe not have such concrete plans so we don't end up disappointing ourselves if they don't pan out. I think it's more important to have a strong work ethic and to just plan on always doing the best you can with the opportunities either presented to you or that you create. Without expectations, we can't really disappoint ourselves for not achieving somethingerother, but with a commitment to do the best we can, as long as we do that we can feel accomplished whether we're digging ditches, selling cars, or processing whatever widgets pay the bills.