Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:53 pm

The only time I say “Happy Holidays” is if I truly don’t know the person’s religion. If I don’t know the person’s religion but they are giving indications they celebrate Christmas such as wearing Christmas themed clothing I say “Merry Christmas”.

Your town or city does not to display a menorah if there few or no Jews living there. If there are really so few Jews and you are the mayor call them or better yet visit them and wish them a Happy Hanukkah.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 3:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Happy Holidays!

I mention the term 'Happy' instead of (Merry) - as true happiness must be balanced with a healthy cynicism.

I mention the term 'Holidays' (instaed of Christmas) as we were acquainted with several people of the Jewish faith.

I never grew-up with religion - yet I prefer to indentify with 'Roman Catholic' rather than I Christian.

Yet, lately, I've felt it best to take 'Buddhist' advocate - complete with a Bonsai 'holiday-tree' next year!

The OP(me) is Jewish is not in favor of generic language like ‘Happy Holidays’ meant not to offend anybody that pleases few. Today is not “the holidays”, it’s Christmas. I see a few messages like “to all my Jewish friends Happy Hanukkah”. I feel much more included by that then “happy holidays”. Maybe it would have been better if I said “to all who celebrate” but most of Christians I have known over the years are unhappy with the secularization of Christmas, that is why I wrote “holy day” not “holiday” and “real meaning” in OP.

Next time I will write “Have a nice December 25”. Not.

Who cares, it's the thought and sentiment that counts. Have a good day ASPartOfMe.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.