Small differences 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Big differences 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 2:56 pm

Double Retired wrote:
4. "Aspie" seems like a comfy way to say "ASD-1".

P.S. The psychologist that did my evaluation added a note that I also satisfied the criteria previously associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

“Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 without accompanying language impairment and without accompanying intellectual impairment” is the closest to the old “Asperger’s Disorder” diagnosis.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 3:27 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and The only difference I see between it and high-functioning autism is that I HATE the phrase "high-functioning".

People can say whatever they want about the Nazi overtones of the name Asperger's, I don't see anyone screaming that someone drinking Fanta or driving a Volkswagen is a Nazi.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 3:33 pm

Quote:
SCSD : an acronym that I have not heard here.

I know, I made it up.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 3:44 pm

Da_Zero_A_Dieci wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
4. "Aspie" seems like a comfy way to say "ASD-1".

P.S. The psychologist that did my evaluation added a note that I also satisfied the criteria previously associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

“Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 without accompanying language impairment and without accompanying intellectual impairment” is the closest to the old “Asperger’s Disorder” diagnosis.

Thanks for your clarification.

I have level 2.

But I don't feel HFA at all.

Aspergers only.

We mean the three degrees to define the social deficits and the different level of impairment that the NTs attribute to us

You are probably have average to above intelligence which is what HFA meant. Your Level 2 diagnosis means you need “medium” level of supports to function in society.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:56 am

Is there any biological proof that autism and Aspergers are the same condition despite an overlap in symptoms?

I don’t think any proof has ever been found yet we refer to them as almost the same.

- George Bernie Shaw

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 9:56 am

There are no differences as Aspergers was simply another term for High Functioning Autism.

Plus Aspergers has been outdated for 10 years and isn't officially diagnosed anymore.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:30 am

carlos55 wrote:
Is there any biological proof that autism and Aspergers are the same condition despite an overlap in symptoms?
Strictly speaking, is there any biological proof that autism is the same condition?

They still haven't identified the cause of autism. They've found a lot of genes that might be related to it, and suspect there might be hundreds more, but it appears they cannot point to a specific genetic change nor say all autistic folk have the same genetic variations as each other. And then there could be environmental factors on top of that.

Currently it looks like "Autism" could possibly encompass multiple, distinct conditions that just happen to have some symptoms in common.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:33 am

I would agree with the notion that there are "autisms," more than that there is an "autism."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 12:51 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
People can say whatever they want about the Nazi overtones of the name Asperger's, I don't see anyone screaming that someone drinking Fanta or driving a Volkswagen is a Nazi.

I don’t see anyone identifying or describing themselves as Fanta. Thus Fanta and Volkswagen are not personal thus the lack of angst so far.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 7:55 pm

I voted 'Small Differences' - The terms 'High Functioning Autism' (HFA) and Asperger are often used interchageably.