No differences 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Small differences 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Big differences 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2022, 12:21 am

Basically, I already know some of the differences between high functioning autism and asperger disorder, but I was hoping if you can share some more differences I might not know about, thanks.

Can you share please what you know?

Today after reading many articles and information around the Internet, I fail to find any big differences if at all, and some have stated its the same thing. I was hoping to learn more about it with your replies. If you know a thing or two, please share what you know.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 12:38 am

In my observations, there are differences as to how it's defined;

Defining functioning labels on autism is usually about the self.
Aspergers is defined by how they adapt, react and execute on an environment.

High functioning autism means one without lagging major developmental milestones, not one with intellectual disability, no self help issues and has no adaptive daily living issues.
Basically having 'less deficits' and 'less needs'.

High functioning aspergers means having high performance and achievements.
Basically having 'more functioning'.

But look at the contrasting low functioning versions of the two labels;

Low functioning autism means having intellectual disability and basically needs 24/7 supervision.
Having 'less self autonomy' and 'more needs' as a person.

Low functioning aspergers usually means dealing with psychiatric issues, personality disorders or whatever severe sensory intolerance, maladaptations and health issues that makes them less or not independent.
Usually having 'less management and regulation' over life.

So if taking this seriously, then I'm someone who is both a high functioning autistic and a middle functioning aspie...
And is overall low support needs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously.
I'm also a person who's coping with things that aren't autism or aspergers. I care more about that than whatever my labels' statuses are.

But if I misread that, and it's about aspergers and high functioning autism...
Other than aspergers is basically high functioning autism without speech delays...

Usually the difference is the cognitive profiles; autism favors nonverbal aptitudes while aspergers favors verbal aptitudes.

I'm someone who cognitively favors nonverbal aptitudes and is diagnosed with aspergers.

And those who doesn't pass for aspergers yet favors verbal aptitudes exists.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:31 am

I think of them as being the same darn thing.

But there is one difference actually. Lets back it up.

Before they got rid of the aspergers, but AFTER they expanded the autism spectrum to include the less severely impaired - yes - there was a difference. The difference is when you learned to talk as a baby. If you learned to talk at the normal time (had no 'speech delay') you were aspergers. If you had a speech delay you were autistic (even you functioned as well as an aspie now).

They got rid of aspergers as a seperate category. So now someone who would have been diagnosed as 'aspergers' a few years ago would most likely be labeled "level one autistic with no speech delay" today. HFA would be 'level one autistic with speech delay'.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 5:13 am

I thought Asperger's was another term for high-functioning autism.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 5:46 am

I was diagnosed using the DSM-IV-TR autism criteria. If I had met 5 or 6 criteria, I would have gotten a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. I met 9 out of the 12 criteria and so earnt a diagnosis of HFA.

All of my baby milestones were delayed but I didn't say much about that to the assessor.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 5:58 am

Joe90 wrote:

No, my daughter was diagnosed in 2010 with HFA and she was non-verbal at the time

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 7:45 am

I was diagnosed with Asperger's because I wasn't delayed in any of my milestones and I was articulate as a child and wasn't that different to other children. I made normal eye contact and was very chatty and social. That's why I don't feel autistic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 8:03 am

People with the DSM-IV diagnosis of Aspergers had no speech delay, and tended to do relatively better on the “verbal” subtests of IQ tests than the “performance” subtests.

People who were seen as being “high-functioning autistic” folks (HFA never became a formal diagnosis) had speech and other adaptive delays, but had normal or higher than normal intelligence. They tended to do relatively better on the “performance” subtests of IQ tests than the “verbal” subtests.

I mostly fit the HFA category, though I always did better on the verbal subtests than the performance subtests.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 9:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
People with the DSM-IV diagnosis of Aspergers had no speech delay, and tended to do relatively better on the “verbal” subtests of IQ tests than the “performance” subtests.

People who were seen as being “high-functioning autistic” folks (HFA never became a formal diagnosis) had speech and other adaptive delays, but had normal or higher than normal intelligence. They tended to do relatively better on the “performance” subtests of IQ tests than the “verbal” subtests.

I mostly fit the HFA category, though I always did better on the verbal subtests than the performance subtests.

Yes and no about "HFA never being an official diagnosis".

In the Nineties they expanded autism to a 'spectrum'. So it became necessary to distinguish the 'new' kind of autistics (less impaired folks) from the old classic severely impaired types. So both doctors and their patients began talking about 'high functioning' autism even though it wasnt an official diagnosis.

But now they have this new thing in which they subdivide autistics in 'levels' one, two, and three. The higher the number the more 'support' you need. So in effect it makes it official to say the same thing as 'high functioning, middle functioning, and low functioning".

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 10:05 am

My report says:

Isabella meets DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder - Social Communication Severity Level 2 - Requiring substantial support; Restricted, Repetitive Behaviours - Severity Level 2 - Requiring substantial support.

(their bold)

It seems that functioning level is indeed part of the diagnosis as they are written together.
Functioning levels are also described in the DSM-5 so assessment doctors know which to choose.

My doctor said that Asperger's and HFA weren't the same thing but I didn't ask why, since I'm not HFA.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 10:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I had a speech delay and other delays (still do), but I did better on Verbal (25th percentile), than Performance (5th percentile).
That doesn't seem to fit either of the choices here. ^

The verbal tests use reading and vocabulary tests rather than speech fluency.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My report says:

Isabella meets DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder - Social Communication Severity Level 2 - Requiring substantial support; Restricted, Repetitive Behaviours - Severity Level 2 - Requiring substantial support.

(their bold)

It seems that functioning level is indeed part of the diagnosis as they are written together.
Functioning levels are also described in the DSM-5 so assessment doctors know which to choose.

My doctor said that Asperger's and HFA weren't the same thing but I didn't ask why, since I'm not HFA.

For professionals functioning levels did not mean literally ability to function in society but IQ/intelligence level. Over 70 or 80 IQ/Average to Above Average Intelligence was High Functioning Autism. Aspergers was High Functioning Autism without verbal impairments before age 3. It is a pretty meaningless distinction for older children never mind adults.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 1:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:

No but it is the closest modern definition after Aspergers was no longer an official diagnosis.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 2:35 pm

i was diagnosed as low functioning because i didnt speak until i was 8
even though i was diagnosed after i learnt to speak
because my parents denied it and also psychiatrist wasnt sure with my case because i didnt have typical behaviours that indicate autism

but im more high functioning now but i have some severe symptoms and can go nonverbal or even violent during a meltdown and unable to have the self awareness to control or understand what im doing

yes im a bus driver but bus routes and driving is a special interests to me and also i wear myself out from masking so that is what keeps me going

so id say im moderate functioning

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 7:07 pm

I've read these type of discussions now for more than a decade on WP and they always conclude the same inevitable thing that functional labels don't capture all the manifestations of functional behaviour.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 7:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I was diagnosed with Asperger's because I wasn't delayed in any of my milestones and I was articulate as a child and wasn't that different to other children. I made normal eye contact and was very chatty and social. That's why I don't feel autistic.

If you read some of the other member posts you will see that many of them had delayed milestones but did subsequently develop those later. This is infact one of the reasons the American Psychiatric Association chose to amalgamate Asergers into ASD in 2013 DSMV.