Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 8:43 am

People have crushes on fictional characters. Had they not been fictional, they’d be in a relationship with them. Why is that?

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 8:53 am

I would've been able to date someone in real life if it weren't for them rejecting me either because:
1. They think I'm a total weirdo.
2. They tell me they're either lesbian or aroace (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 8:55 am

So. Why is that someone would date a fictional character as if they were a real person?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 9:12 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
So. Why is that someone would date a fictional character as if they were a real person?

The question you are asking does not make any sense.

So no one can answer it.

You can be attracted to a person (fictional or real), but only real people can reciprocate. But even the most desirable (and most NT) people get rejected by real people they hit on.

So if a character you crush on were a real person then they -might reject you, or they might not.

So WTF exactly are you asking?

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 9:27 am

I meant real people having crushes on fictional characters.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 9:36 am

ivyeight6 wrote:
I meant real people having crushes on fictional characters.

I obviously KNOW that that is what you meant.

Thats why I addressed the issue of of real people having crushes on fictional characters.

+++++++++

Okay... apparently you dont understand 'crushes'. A crush just happen to you. You dont choose to have crushes. So thats why folks crush on folks (real or fictional) that they ask out on dates.

ivyeight6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 12:05 pm

Okay. What if that character wants to date me?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 12:29 pm

Someone who has a crush on a fictional character makes up 'their' version of that character in their mind and they govern how that character interacts with them. I also agree with naturalplastics that if the character was a real person, and there's only one of them, they'd have their own wants, needs, standards and I'd add - if they have partner appeal to a lot of people they'd be quite high-demand and out of most people's reach in terms of social status.

This is a bit like how every Christian has their own 'Jesus', ie. it's the biblical and cultural figure mixed with private spiritual leader, teacher, deity, etc.. The application of the concept is just different in this case because most people have a spiritual rather than sexual relationship with Jesus, whereas with a fictional character they have a crush on it might be less context-restrictive.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

MOONTRIPS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2023, 3:07 am

as someone who is attracted to fictional characters, I cannot say I'd be in a relationship with any of them if they were real. even if they were the ideal that they are in my brain. I'd rather it all just be in my brain.