I loved being popular in high school. Then - suddenly - I ha

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 11:00 am

So it sounds like she went to a South African all-girls prep school and was at the head of the class in terms of popularity because she was one of the best athletes and yes, did some things to get into the honors classes, and the values at that school were in alignment to where it worked out. She then went to the UK and ended up at a non gender-segregated school where relationships, looks, etc. were the most important thing and where there were no women's sports thus no way for her to show off what she could do on the field.

This just reminds me of how much of this is your environmental fit. You can really just be born in the right time and place, or not be, and your life ends up radically different on account of that.

I loved being popular in high school. Then - suddenly - I had no friends.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin