Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 2:42 pm

Insider:+-+ "A woman with autism was misdiagnosed for years —
Insider:+-+*A wohere are 3 subtle signs she now realizes went unnoticed"

Quote:
Antekeier, now 22 and a psychobiology major at UCLA, was officially diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in April of 2022. She said, looking back on her mental health journey, she believes there were early signs of her autism that went unnoticed by her and her doctors.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 3:19 pm

That, "Women often have overlooked signs, researchers believe.", is a statement I think can be documented as being more accurate if the "believe" were omitted.

Quote:
You don't have to play with trains,

Wait. What :!: :?:

:wink: :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 12:37 am

Unfortunately not surprising. I am glad things are getting better for Sam.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 1:31 am

Researchers *believe* autistic women get overlooked? I suppose the next big belief they'll have is that water is wet. :roll:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 5:54 am

these "late diagnosis" articles crack me up. There are generations of adult autistic folks in their 90s through their 30s and many of them never diagnosed. I am all for articles raising awareness that adults can be autistic, but when I search for articles about autism diagnosis as an adult, these sorts of articles are so common. Finding out you are autistic today in your 20s is considered a late diagnosis. There are over 5 million adults age 60 and over in the USA today and only a very small percentage of us have been diagnosed. ( extrapolated from USA census bureau statistics and the CDC's opinion of the frequency of autism's presence in the general population) Hope the media keeps posting articles about "older adults" with recent diagnosis, but hoping to see articles on the "lost generation" being discovered more frequently. :) as always thanks for posting autism information, your work in finding and sharing important autism articles is deeply appreciated!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 11:25 am

autisticelders wrote:
these "late diagnosis" articles crack me up. There are generations of adult autistic folks in their 90s through their 30s and many of them never diagnosed. I am all for articles raising awareness that adults can be autistic, but when I search for articles about autism diagnosis as an adult, these sorts of articles are so common. Finding out you are autistic today in your 20s is considered a late diagnosis. There are over 5 million adults age 60 and over in the USA today and only a very small percentage of us have been diagnosed. ( extrapolated from USA census bureau statistics and the CDC's opinion of the frequency of autism's presence in the general population) Hope the media keeps posting articles about "older adults" with recent diagnosis, but hoping to see articles on the "lost generation" being discovered more frequently. :) as always thanks for posting autism information, your work in finding and sharing important autism articles is deeply appreciated!

You are welcome.

I consider my very late diagnosis my second birthday. So many of the feelings described by these people were similar to mine when I was diagnosed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman