Attacks on Washington, Oregon power substations

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 11:20 pm

NBC News

Quote:
Four electricity substations in the Tacoma, Washington, area were attacked Sunday, affecting thousands of customers, authorities said.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department described the early morning attacks on two Tacoma Public Utilities substations and a Puget Sound Energy facility as acts of vandalism, with those responsible unidentified.

"It is unknown if there are any motives or if this was a coordinated attack on the power systems," the sheriff’s department said in a statement.

The agency estimated that the number of affected homes and businesses was 14,000 at one point Sunday, when three substations were affected.

The sheriff's department described a fourth incident Sunday about 7:21 p.m. at another Puget Sound Energy substation.

"The suspect(s) gained access to the fenced area and vandalized the equipment which caused the fire," the sheriff’s office said in a statement. "There are no suspects in custody at this time."

The fourth incident at a utility substation in South Pierce County on Christmas Day prompted stepped-up security.

Power was restored to most of the affected homes, the sheriff's department said.

The sheriff's department said a person or people broke into facilities and vandalized equipment in each of those attacks, the first of which was reported at 2:39 a.m.

TPU said federal law enforcement alerted it this month to the possibility of attacks and recommended a security assessment. It wouldn't say what measures, if any, it took.

At the same time, Oregon Public Broadcasting and KUOW public radio of Seattle reported that separate attacks on six substations operated by Portland General Electric, the Bonneville Power Administration, the Cowlitz County Public Utility District and Puget Sound Energy in Washington and Oregon had taken place mid-November. The incidents are alleged to have included breaches of utility properties, the outlets said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:10 am

Haven't heard of anything like that in the Spokane area.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:20 pm

My assumption is this is more domestic terrorism from far right wing trumpist types. Gross.

The USA is going to have to deal with these sorts of domestic terrorists for years to come as so many people seem to have completely lost their minds when it comes to following the crazy crap spewed by their orange cult leader AND the rest of team crazy's leadership, like what's his nuts bannon and his nutso podcast stuff.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
My assumption is this is more domestic terrorism from far right wing trumpist types. Gross.

The USA is going to have to deal with these sorts of domestic terrorists for years to come as so many people seem to have completely lost their minds when it comes to following the crazy crap spewed by their orange cult leader AND the rest of team crazy's leadership, like what's his nuts bannon and his nutso podcast stuff.

I think you're probably right.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

If I were a hard working sane American citizen I'd be emigrating to the much more stable country to the North that's Also experiencing a major shortage of skilled labour and likes it when English speaking people of similar cultural backgrounds come join their taxpayer team.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

If I were a hard working sane American citizen I'd be emigrating to the much more stable country to the North that's Also experiencing a major shortage of skilled labour and likes it when English speaking people of similar cultural backgrounds come join their taxpayer team.

What can I say... I'm an American, and I'll stay and fight the fascist cult and their orange messiah to keep my country.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:12 pm

unfortunately your otherwise fine civilized nation isn't so keen on taking on disabled immigrants.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
unfortunately your otherwise fine civilized nation isn't so keen on taking on disabled immigrants.

That's one thing we have to fight to change. I still think America's worth the effort.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's one thing we have to fight to change. I still think America's worth the effort.

in my old age i'm running out of spoons.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Gives me some hope to know that there are some people like you who feel that way. I'm tired of the general sentiment being that this country is so irredeemably evil that it needs to be abandoned and destroyed.

If Americans truly want a better country they will have to fight for one instead of talking about running away or how much they hope to see this country get destroyed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I know. And it's almost cruelty to ask for patience, but I think it's still worth the effort, if not for us two, then for future weirdos, freaks, and Aspies in general.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:53 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I know. And it's almost cruelty to ask for patience, but I think it's still worth the effort, if not for us two, then for future weirdos, freaks, and Aspies in general.

i will continue to resist as long as i have two neurons to rub together. i resist in my own way, by not succumbing to the dark side.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:53 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Gives me some hope to know that there are some people like you who feel that way. I'm tired of the general sentiment being that this country is so irredeemably evil that it needs to be abandoned and destroyed.

If Americans truly want a better country they will have to fight for one instead of talking about running away or how much they hope to see this country get destroyed.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i will continue to resist as long as i have two neurons to rub together. i resist in my own way, by not succumbing to the dark side.

Amen, Bro' Blabby!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:55 am

when the right wing in general has abandoned democracy and embraced violence/thuggery to achieve their goal of forcing us to live as they do, how can we defend against that kind/gravity of evil?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 1:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
when the right wing in general has abandoned democracy and embraced violence/thuggery to achieve their goal of forcing us to live as they do, how can we defend against that kind/gravity of evil?

I think many of them would prefer if we didn't live at all. Which is all the more reason to fight.