Still trying to get my first entry-level office job in Texas

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:08 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I will not lie on job applications because I am a Christian.
And good for you. :D I do not think anyone should have to lie to get a job.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I remember that feeling.

What are you finding to be your biggest challenges in finding work.

When I was looking for entry level unskilled jobs I couldn't get past the interview stage.

My biggest challenge is finding a job thats not a McJob and requires me to have a bachelor's degree.

I don't really understand. Do you mean you can't find any jobs you think are worth applying for?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 3:20 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Just to break the ice . . .

It may not be too late to sign on for the “season” at H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, or Liberty Tax.

This job would start mid- to late-January, and last for maybe 4 weeks.. And you should know that going in. Once the early season gold rush of people who know they’re getting refunds and in fact are getting refunds is over, the job is over.

And you will be triaging with distraught and/or angry people over the phone.

If interested, I’ll be happy to try to very honestly give you more information.

Well thanks for the offer but I highly doubt the state would be able to put me in that job in time for this tax season.

You wouldn't be working for the state. You'd be working for a tax preparation company (e.g H&R Block)'s office.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 3:22 pm

To Texasmoneyman300:

Are you and your parents sure there isn't anything you could do for your parents' oil company, perhaps just a part-time job at first, that might eventually turn into a full-time job?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:32 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well thanks for the offer but I highly doubt the state would be able to put me in that job in time for this tax season.

Please understand, it’s late in the season for anyone to hire on with these tax prep companies. And again, a lot of angry, distraught customers.

What if you in general run dual-path?

Work with the state agency, get back to their calls within 24 hours (or even 12 hours), etc. But at the same time put in the occasion job application on your own?

Well one of the reasons why that wont work is because i need a job coach at any job I take.Also another thing is that I have been waiting for the state to get me a job for years and I dont think they will be able to place me in a job in the next month or two.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:37 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I remember that feeling.

What are you finding to be your biggest challenges in finding work.

When I was looking for entry level unskilled jobs I couldn't get past the interview stage.

My biggest challenge is finding a job thats not a McJob and requires me to have a bachelor's degree.

I don't really understand. Do you mean you can't find any jobs you think are worth applying for?

I am disqualified for every job I want because they all require me to have years worth of experience despite being a entry-level job for college grads.Also the vast majority of the jobs that show up in job searches are for jobs that wont use my degree.Also the state wont help me get jobs in the oilfield which are the only way to make a living for the general population where I live.I want to work in a office for a oil company but the state refused to place me with a oil company.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:40 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Just to break the ice . . .

It may not be too late to sign on for the “season” at H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, or Liberty Tax.

This job would start mid- to late-January, and last for maybe 4 weeks.. And you should know that going in. Once the early season gold rush of people who know they’re getting refunds and in fact are getting refunds is over, the job is over.

And you will be triaging with distraught and/or angry people over the phone.

If interested, I’ll be happy to try to very honestly give you more information.

You wouldn't be working for the state. You'd be working for a tax preparation company (e.g H&R Block)'s office.

I am not talking about working for the state Mona.The state has assigned me headhunters to help me find a job.Thats what I meant.Sorry for the confusion.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 4:47 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
To Texasmoneyman300:

Are you and your parents sure there isn't anything you could do for your parents' oil company, perhaps just a part-time job at first, that might eventually turn into a full-time job?

My dad refuse to pay for my role at the company because the company does not make enough to support employees.My parents wont pay me anything for being the CEO of the family oil company.We are reinvesting all profits back into the company.My mom said that the company wont make me a living basically.Our company has no way of expanding operations currently because nobody in town wants to do oil deals with us to expand the LLC.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 5:15 pm

Ah yes, the you can't have a job unless you have experience, but you can't get experience because they won't give you a job conundrum. Been there. It's very frustrating.

I would say try and get experience in any sort of office work regardless of whether it uses your degree or not. Then you will have some experience under your belt. I job hopped for years gaining experience until I finally found a job I actually like that is stable and pays well.

Does the work you do for the family company not count towards work experience? Are there any transferable skills you could emphasise in your applications for jobs?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 5:38 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Ah yes, the you can't have a job unless you have experience, but you can't get experience because they won't give you a job conundrum. Been there. It's very frustrating.

I would say try and get experience in any sort of office work regardless of whether it uses your degree or not. Then you will have some experience under your belt. I job hopped for years gaining experience until I finally found a job I actually like that is stable and pays well.

Does the work you do for the family company not count towards work experience? Are there any transferable skills you could emphasise in your applications for jobs?

I dont think it would count towards work experience for a job because my mom does not think it would look good on a app to say you were CEO and now you are applying for a entry-level job.The problem is that I think most or all of the office jobs in the area prefer or require degrees but then the whole no experience thing keeps me from getting hired.I am only qualified for min wage type jobs or working at Goodwill for pennies an hour apparently despite having a 4-year degree.I dont think there would be any transferrable skills or not because we just get a check every month for our oil company.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 5:49 pm

Why don’t you go for a Texas civil service position? Take a civil service test.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 6:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Well I dont want to be a employee for the rest of my career .I only want to do it for a couple years until my business and community organizing/preaching career gets going.However, the civil service is my last resort before just giving up and living as a trust fund baby for the rest of my life.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 8:28 am

Get a McJob and I mean literally. I imagine what's holding you back is that you have nothing whatsoever under your belt. If employers know you can do a full weeks work then in any job then they're much more likely to hire you.

They're taking a complete shot in the dark with you as it currently stands.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 8:53 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I dont think it would count towards work experience for a job because my mom does not think it would look good on a app to say you were CEO and now you are applying for a entry-level job.The problem is that I think most or all of the office jobs in the area prefer or require degrees but then the whole no experience thing keeps me from getting hired.I am only qualified for min wage type jobs or working at Goodwill for pennies an hour apparently despite having a 4-year degree.I dont think there would be any transferrable skills or not because we just get a check every month for our oil company.

So you don't do any admin work at all for the oil company? What do you do? Don't put CEO on your resume. Call it something else that's more skills focussed.

I think you need to write a list of what skills you have and look for work based on that. A skills based resume can be very useful. What transferable skills can you use from your course.

Or is there any self employed type of work you can do using your skillset?

I second the getting a McJob. Getting a degree proves you can do intellectual work, but sticking with a basic job proves reliability.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2023, 9:16 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Well I dont want to be a employee for the rest of my career .I only want to do it for a couple years until my business and community organizing/preaching career gets going.However, the civil service is my last resort before just giving up and living as a trust fund baby for the rest of my life.

I am looking for a partner for life and for missions. I don't require my partner to work outside the home. I just need someone to take care of me emotionally and physically. I am totally accommodating for my partner to enjoy their online gaming and creative life, as long as it does not involve sin or betrayal. And as long as the homemaking tasks are done in a timely fashion. I would also never come between my partner and their family--again, as long as there was no sin involved, as there is with many families. I love my work and can be the breadwinner. Everyone has a certain work to do inasmuch as God leads them to because everyone has a special gifting and usefulness to God and His Plan. Perhaps my partner's work is to just support me so I can help others and them. :)

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 9:47 am

I had a friend who had a college degree in theology. He got married, had children and needed to make more income than things like "assistant youth pastor" would pay. He used his personal contacts to get a job in marketing, working for a marketing company. He was able to use his people skills and on-the-job training (and the school of hard knocks) to make a career path.

Even a "McJob" can turn into a career path - some people move into management.

I have found the book "What Color is my Parachute" to be helpful.

One piece of advice I have seen recently for people on the spectrum is to be very clear and able to clearly state what you are good at. Focus on this more than the usual "people skills" type advice. The one exception: use friends and family (especially family) for networking. Look for those people you know and trust who have the strong people skills and ask them to help you with networking, and to network for you when they are able to, comfortable doing so.

"What Color is my Parachute" has a section on this too. The advice it gives is that even if you have a real handicap, focus on what you CAN do more than what you CANNOT do. It even has a list of job skills in case you have a hard time identifying "what you CAN do".