Still trying to get my first entry-level office job in Texas

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 7:47 am

Hi everyone, I have been looking for entry-level office job for the better part of a decade.I am looking for one that will require any four-year degree in Texas.It would not be for something that is specific that one goes to school for like engineer or something like that.What are some non-specific office jobs that are not a file clerk or human resources or data entry ,secretary or assistant and require a bachelor's degree?I am not looking to use my degree specifically....I just got my degree for jobs that require any degree.Thanks in advance y'all.I am getting no help from the state in my job search despite waiting for the better part of 10 years.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 4:23 am

What subject do you have a degree in?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 5:36 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
What subject do you have a degree in?

I would rather not say due to privacy reasons but its a liberal arts bachelor's degree Mona Pereth.Its not a STEM degree or anything technical like that.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 10:40 am

Project manager?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 11:59 am

Just to break the ice . . .

It may not be too late to sign on for the “season” at H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, or Liberty Tax.

This job would start mid- to late-January, and last for maybe 4 weeks.. And you should know that going in. Once the early season gold rush of people who know they’re getting refunds and in fact are getting refunds is over, the job is over.

And you will be triaging with distraught and/or angry people over the phone.

If interested, I’ll be happy to try to very honestly give you more information.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 12:41 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Hi everyone, I have been looking for entry-level office job for the better part of a decade. . . .

That’s going to be a problem, as unfair as it is.

Long-term unemployment is going to be considered a big red x mark. You will need to be very strategic. I personally might consider lying and saying “family responsibilities,” and maybe one brief sentence more specific. But this has to remain your individual choice.

Commission sales jobs are a possibility, but half of these are a blatant rip-off. And I mean including and especially to the employee who doesn’t get paid!

And, job hunting is a numbers game.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 1:44 pm

How about this?

indeed.com - 135 Common Job Titles of Professional Office Positions

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 2:40 pm

I just went for anything and everything when I finished college. I ended up doing admin for a construction company. It was very boring, but got my foot on the ladder.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:33 am

Fenn wrote:
Project manager?

But is a project manager entry-level because I thought management was not entry-level but I could be wrong.Forgive me if I am wrong,Fenn.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:35 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Just to break the ice . . .

It may not be too late to sign on for the “season” at H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, or Liberty Tax.

This job would start mid- to late-January, and last for maybe 4 weeks.. And you should know that going in. Once the early season gold rush of people who know they’re getting refunds and in fact are getting refunds is over, the job is over.

And you will be triaging with distraught and/or angry people over the phone.

If interested, I’ll be happy to try to very honestly give you more information.

Well thanks for the offer but I highly doubt the state would be able to put me in that job in time for this tax season.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 11 Jan 2023, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:37 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Hi everyone, I have been looking for entry-level office job for the better part of a decade. . . .

That’s going to be a problem, as unfair as it is.

Long-term unemployment is going to be considered a big red x mark. You will need to be very strategic. I personally might consider lying and saying “family responsibilities,” and maybe one brief sentence more specific. But this has to remain your individual choice.

Commission sales jobs are a possibility, but half of these are a blatant rip-off. And I mean including and especially to the employee who doesn’t get paid!

And, job hunting is a numbers game.

I will not lie on job applications because I am a Christian.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:38 am

Fenn wrote:

Thanks for the list,Fenn.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 1:40 am

hurtloam wrote:
I just went for anything and everything when I finished college. I ended up doing admin for a construction company. It was very boring, but got my foot on the ladder.

Oh okay, I see.I feel like I will never have any kind of career.I feel so hopeless about my work situation and being chronically unemployed.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 11:38 am

I remember that feeling.

What are you finding to be your biggest challenges in finding work.

When I was looking for entry level unskilled jobs I couldn't get past the interview stage.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 12:53 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I remember that feeling.

What are you finding to be your biggest challenges in finding work.

When I was looking for entry level unskilled jobs I couldn't get past the interview stage.

My biggest challenge is finding a job thats not a McJob and requires me to have a bachelor's degree.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 2:02 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well thanks for the offer but I highly doubt the state would be able to put me in that job in time for this tax season.

Please understand, it’s late in the season for anyone to hire on with these tax prep companies. And again, a lot of angry, distraught customers.

What if you in general run dual-path?

Work with the state agency, get back to their calls within 24 hours (or even 12 hours), etc. But at the same time put in the occasion job application on your own?