Photo ID is now needed for UK elections

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 6:11 pm

i regret that the UK righties are engaging in the same fascist behavior as our righties, systematically suppressing the voting franchise for anybody not in the upper income strata. that is ableism in a nutshell. people that have to work for a living can't easily take time off from work [without losing pay] to travel all over the place [without a car or even public transit in many rural places] get all these stupid and unnecessary ID cards.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 6:52 pm

^How do you get a job without an ID? My employer definitely did verify my ID against my Social Security card listing my SSN, and to be hired I had to consent to a background check (I was also drug tested, but that's offtopic).

By law they'd have to check who I am to verify that I'm eligible to work here (and deduct income taxes from my paycheck).

Man, life is an exercise in ableism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 6:56 pm

i've had low-end jobs that did not ask for my ID, it was cash-only. this was back in the old days. there are folks nowadays who lack the financial acumen to get a car and so they are basically locked in place, not able to jump through all the bureaucratic hoops. a lot of these folks are homeless to boot. but they are still nominally citizens and by dint of that should not be discouraged from voting.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:05 pm

^ Cash jobs haven't been realistic for a long time now. Sure you could pitch that up to the cashless society conspiracy, but that's for another subforum.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

my neighbor, a jack of all trades and master of many, is cash-only or barter. i wish i had his talents.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:10 pm

He's not a W-2 employee or a 1099 contractor.

That's an extreme minority. Like 0.5% of workforce.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 29 Dec 2022, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:10 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
^How do you get a job without an ID? My employer definitely did verify my ID against my Social Security card listing my SSN, and to be hired I had to consent to a background check (I was also drug tested, but that's offtopic).

By law they'd have to check who I am to verify that I'm eligible to work here (and deduct income taxes from my paycheck).

Man, life is an exercise in ableism.

THIS.

I've always needed photo identification at least in the final stages of professional hiring.
I also had to wear my photo ID on a lanyard for work.
It's a matter of security but also banking.

Don't people need ID to open bank accounts or investments?

I'm still floored that people can earn university degrees or claim them on a CV without ID.
Can someone apply for jobs and say they're me, with my credentials?

The numerous scenarios where there could be fraud are astounding.
I've been victim to financial identity theft so it hits very close to home for me to hear all this.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:15 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
This is so interesting to me. And, they wonder why the NHS is floundering. It sounds so vulnerable if they're investing money to treat people who don't "deserve" it (insurance-wise)

Everyone deserves it. That's the point of the NHS, it doesn't discriminate, it treats everyone equally.

Ours treats everyone fairly assuming they're a tax-paying citizen who earned the right, or they are sponsored as international students / on a work visa / accepted for immigration.

Beyond that, people will be treated fairly but they'll also be billed out of pocket, usually in the tens of thousands.

I'm still confused how your medical records are kept on the NHS if they don't know for sure who's who?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:24 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
No offence, but the amount of times you are being asked to prove who you are with a photo ID each day sounds like you are living in some weird dystopian lunacy

Lol -- That's OK. I enjoy learning about other systems.

Honestly, it's not that often that I go anywhere or do anything that requires photo ID.

At my age when I'm old enough for alcohol / pot / cigarettes, my main uses are for medical treatment and medication (which seems entirely logical to me), or for big events like opening bank accounts, applying for government services (PIP), and buying cars or houses, which I must say I don't do every day.

Oh yeah, and voting. :wink:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

When I first started voting in the late 80's the focus was a voters registration ID. Now, they don't even care about the voters registration, they ask for a driver's license (which I had to produce birth certificate, social security card, marriage license, proof of living in my county to obtain a renewal) only and watch me sign the electronic thing, to make sure my signature matches my photo ID. Florida doesn't mess around anymore... Not that they ever did, but we had that debacle in Palm Beach County during the 2000 election and they never want a repeat.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:54 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
When I first started voting in the late 80's the focus was a voters registration ID. Now, they don't even care about the voters registration, they ask for a driver's license (which I had to produce birth certificate, social security card, marriage license, proof of living in my county to obtain a renewal) only and watch me sign the electronic thing, to make sure my signature matches my photo ID. Florida doesn't mess around anymore... Not that they ever did, but we had that debacle in Palm Beach County during the 2000 election and they never want a repeat.

GOOD.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 12:01 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're not serious? ^

We have to go through several checkpoints all with photo ID.

We had a checkpoint they just asked for my name and address and checked that I was in the book for eligible voters, and I had to sign by my name.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 12:05 am

one time my local elections office rejected my ballot because of my illegible signature. i told them that IS MY GD SIGNATURE and that they by LAW had to accept it. :evil:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 12:36 am

Do you sign ballots? Or do you mean you had to sign in somewhere?

Come to think of it, I don't know if we sign anything in the voting process?
I don't think we do.
No one sees our ballot, that's for sure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 12:40 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do you sign ballots? Or do you mean you had to sign in somewhere? Come to think of it, I don't know if we sign anything in the voting process? I don't think we do. No one sees our ballot, that's for sure.
our state is vote-by-mail only. each mail-in ballot has to be signed and dated. they rejected my late sister's late husband's signature also and he had to go down to the county assessor's office to sign in person.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 12:41 am

Not the ballot, the book for eligible voters.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman