Photo ID is now needed for UK elections

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 2:23 pm

Here is a list of how to get the photo ID you will need now in the UK to vote.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/vot ... to-get-it/

You will see that most forms of photo ID belong to older people, there is a limited list for younger people. I'm sure you can guess why.

But please spread the word that photo ID will now be needed to vote. Otherwise a small minority will decide our future.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm

Makes sense. I think I've voted since 2007, as far back as then I remember I've always been asked to present one, checked against my voter registration.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 6:35 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Makes sense. I think I've voted since 2007, as far back as then I remember I've always been asked to present one, checked against my voter registration.

Yes, however, most people in Britain don't know about the new law that means they must have photo ID. They will go to the polling station and be turned away because they don't have any.

But the older people with photo ID (who are more likely to vote Conservative) will be able to vote due to such a wide range of their photo IDs being accepted. The younger people (who are more likely to vote Labour/Liberal Democrat) will be less able to vote due to such a small range of their photo IDs being accepted.

Can you see what's happening? The Conservative government is not publicising this change in the law, so people won't know about it. They will arrive at the polling station with no photo ID and won't be able to vote. If they are older, they are more likely to have an acceptable photo ID than if they are younger. Also, older people are more likely to have the money to buy photo ID, younger people are not.

A caring government would do its utmost to publicise the need for photo ID long before an election. But the British government is not doing that...

Recently there was an election in a constituency of 6000 people. Only 1000 people voted! That's 19% of the electorate. That is very worrying. Only 19% of people cared about their future.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:39 am

In the last election 4 people were found guilty of election fraud. The Governments own data says this move will mean that hundreds of thousands will not be able to vote at the next election. But they will be mostly younger, poorer people and so in the demographic least likely to vote Conservative.

Tories have been pushing it for some time and its for no other reason than to try and manipulate voting numbers. Its yet another pathetic move from a Govt heading towards its last days in power that will do anything it can to try and cling on

List of acceptable ID
https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-id-that-you-can-use-in-uk-elections-and-how-to-get-it/

oh how strange, an Oyster 60+ card is fine to use but a regular Oyster card is not. :roll:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:46 am

I think some here are missing the point that having a valid form of identification is an exercise of personal responsibility. It has nothing to do with voting, and everything to do with just having an identification document in general.

Maybe the liberal voters should become more responsible citizens?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:47 am

You used to vote without ID? How ?!

I'm confused. :scratch:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 11:53 am

Interestingly, I've never had to show ID when I voted.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 12:04 pm

You're not serious? ^

We have to go through several checkpoints all with photo ID.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2022, 12:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're not serious? ^

We have to go through several checkpoints all with photo ID.

One checkpoint here.
You show your photo ID, you get checked on a list of people elligible to vote in a given place (if you want to vote outside of your permanent residence, you need some special paperwork done beforehand), sign there and then you get the voting card.
You go behind a curtain, check the box of your choice, fold the card if you wish to, and put the card inside the voting box.

How is it done elsewhere?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 12:47 pm

We get a paper eligibility card in the post ahead of each election, showing our name, age (DOB), gender (which includes several options), address, a reference number, and the proper polling station address for your riding.

This information on the voters' card is generated when we file income tax (federal and provincial), if we agree to be put on the voters' list at that time. If you don't receive the voting card or if any information on it is incorrect, you have to get that sorted before the election. I'm not sure of the procedure for that because mine and the kids' have always been accurate. The only difficulty I remember is when the kids lived away from home in other provinces or ridings, for school. In that case they needed to change their address through the provincial government and be given clearance to use a polling station in that location. I think their student cards were involved since they show photo ID and address. When out of country like my son who has lived all over the world, he does mail-in voting but also has an ID verification process with PIN codes and reference numbers so that his identity is verified.

When voting normally, you take the voter card to the designated polling station with your ID. You show them both to get in the door. Then there are a couple other check points where people have a big binder with the names and addresses of all eligible constituents. They cross reference your info with the binder and cross your name out of the binder using a ruler and red pen, once you have been processed. That way no one else can claim to be you later on. At the next station they take your voter card and destroy it in a shredder so it can't be used again. Then you finally get to the last stop where they give you your ballot and you take it behind a curtained polling booth. You fold it a certain way and take it back to another checkpoint beside the booth, where they visually watch you put it in the ballot box. They don't touch it or it would be interference.

This might sound like a lot but it really isn't. Assuming there's not a long queue, you can walk through the stations and each one just takes a few seconds. My son worked as one of the polling officials for a few years. It pays really well since it's a government job, and he mostly sat on his duff just crossing names off a list.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:18 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I think some here are missing the point that having a valid form of identification is an exercise of personal responsibility. It has nothing to do with voting, and everything to do with just having an identification document in general.

No. The point is that the government is not telling people they need photo ID. It is a change in the law which is very important. Governments should tell their citizens about big changes in the law like this. We haven't had to use photo ID before so the change must be publicised.

The government is discouraging certain sectors of British society who won't vote for it and encouraging others who are likely to vote for it. They are doing this by only making certain forms of ID valid, and not others. Please re-read my previous comments, I'm not going to repeat myself.

I am trying to sound the alarm and encourage EVERYONE to get photo ID who will need it to vote. I'm spreading the word and giving out information, which the government isn't doing.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:20 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

It is only to do with voter suppression to help one party with their numbers. It's been quite and open debate here for some time now.

r00tb33r wrote:

And there it is :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Been voting for decades in the UK and never once had to show ID

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:25 pm

Again. You've missed the big picture.

People should have valid identification because they're functioning members of the society, not because they just need it to vote.

It's not that hard to understand.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

We used to have a polling card with no photo on it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 1:29 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

People should have valid identification because they're functioning members of the society, not because they just need it to vote.

I am saying the government needs to TELL people to take photo ID for voting. Brits all already have photo ID e.g. driving licences but the government is not telling people that we need it to VOTE. People don't know things if they aren't told by the government.

Please, please, try to understand that I am trying to help people by spreading the word that Brits now need photo ID to vote. I am HELPING.