Can burping become like a conscious habit?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 10:18 am

There's this guy at work who has his own office that's right opposite the ladies bathroom, and every time I go to the bathroom I can hear him burping, unless there are people in the office with him. I've been in an hour long meeting with him in the room before and he never burped once, so it's like he just burps when he's alone (or thinks he's alone) like it's a habit or something. But how can one control a bodily function like that?

As a non-burper, burps always mystify me and I'm not sure how they really work, because I don't ever burp myself.

Also others at work burp loudly when we're eating lunch, and they usually sound forced and amplified. Surely, unless you've gulped down soda, most burps aren't supposed to be so loud. What I don't understand is why do I have to hear the equivalent of someone throwing up air when it has been demonstrated that it's not necessary to be that loud?

I sure agree with DW's imaginary friend in the Arthur series when she says "burps are mysterious things". They sure are.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2022, 11:30 am

Yes.

I'm someone who can burp at will. I can also stop possible burping after a meal, a drink or so.

How? I'm no expert at anatomy. Or have the right words to communicate that.

Except that it can involve swallowing air -- or, if air is already built up in one's stomach.
And somewhat able to control the part where that can switch between breathing and swallowing. Between being able to breathe through the stomach instead of breathing through the lungs.

Holding a burp would mean focusing on breathing and not end up exhaling through the stomach, then just completely swallow the air in.
... Exhaling through the stomach is usually something anyone with fear of vomiting is at least wary about one way or another.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm

My dad had a problem with it for as long as I can remember, I had to learn to ignore it, even in public. And my brother used to make really loud burps at will just to disgust me and feel me with cringe when we were teens.

I think guys make get more gas than woman because they usually eat more food than woman. That's what I read, anyway.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:41 pm

my burps are usually audible especially after a meal or drank something carbonated
i dont make them audible its just the way they come out but im always polite about it

my farts are usually silent tho

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:00 pm

There was something on TV the other day that mentioned this problem. Due to stress, some people tend to swallow air in a habitual manner, and of course it has to come back out one way or another. Taking stress relief courses, CBT etc can reduce or eliminate the problem apparently.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:05 pm

My daughter could burp at will.Her little brother got a hoot out of it.
How that sound came out of such a small teenager girl was a great mystery.I’m glad she grew out of it.
My ex would never cover his mouth or say excuse me.Never in my childhood did I ever see an adult behave that way.I think he did it just to offend me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 2:35 pm

I don't find burping at will, especially really super loud, is proper burping. It's just showing off or being rude.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 4:49 am

So Joe, not even really fizzy drink makes you burp?

It's about the only thing to get me to burp, my housemate will just randomly burp, something I don't get unless, as written above, she swallows air.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 11:38 am

Quote:
So Joe, not even really fizzy drink makes you burp?

Nope, and I drink fizzy drink a lot. I don't fart any more than the average person either (yes, a woman has just admitted she farts! 8O ) I think it just becomes oxygen and I breathe it out. I usually cough (not choke) when I drink fizzy drinks so maybe I've learnt to make the air go into my lungs instead of the stomach, I don't know.

I have severe emetophobia (fear of throwing up) and to me burping feels gross like sick. I have burped before obviously but it comes up like a gulping sound like a cat makes when it burps, and I know it's a burp because of that distinct taste burps have. I hate doing it. This may only happen once or twice a year, if that, if I've drank too much (fizzy or not) and I'm doing an activity where I'm in an awkward bending position.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 5:28 pm

i dont like doing a burp much it feels gross after eating

Josh68
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2023, 5:49 pm

I've been known to burp out words or short sentences.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:46 am

Josh68 wrote:
I've been known to burp out words or short sentences.

Is it real gas coming out from the stomach though, or is it just squeezing your throat together and forcing air out from the lungs? The latter is not a burp.