Procrastination/lack of focus.

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:21 pm

Procrastination ...... Waiting for the Planets to align 8O , So just the right magic comes into play to create
circumstances that would be most favourable to acheivement of Said Project :jester:
btw Asian Lunar New Year is on Jan.22. ~> . :jester: .
But the stumbling block can often be taking the Initiative :ninja: >>>>>>>> :arrow: 8) .

but think i will sleep on it till initiative comes and finds me ? :roll:
Am tired of sitting outside at night and Watching the durn planets... :| besides it gets cold :o .
And my favourite Astrologer is on vacation .. :dj:
and , i stubbed my toe , two days ago, when i tried to start :cyclopsani:
And my Favourite U tube channel just rolled out a new episode :roll:
The kitty litter needed changing :duh: :cat:
Am waiting for that all important, world shaking phone call to come 8O
One of my eyes looks different in the mirror today :roll:
Fnord critisized my post today :roll: :oops: :shameonyou: :wall:
The dawg ate my homework 8O :(
A meteorite struck my car :wall:...Again

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 8:07 pm

Just ripped through the next module content and listening to a 7min audio clip rn. Clicked over to the quiz and it’s not even available until after Midnight tonight sooo with all my procrastination I might not be behind At All. :lol: Might be a bit ahead.

There’s another module to read and a bit more of an assignment vs just a tiny quiz, gonna dig into that next rn.

Other than that I just need to double check that I haven’t missed anything to date - all assignments are in, but I don’t wanna miss some 5min quiz or something and have it be a problem. There are def still videos I haven’t watched/listened to - but I was able to ace the assignments without watching them. I’m just ocd about watching the content just in case there’s some value.. some of it is just TED Talks on relevant topics. Some of it isn’t very useful.. like the one I’m listening to now is basically a 7min talk of the text I just read. Reinforces learning I guess, but I expected additional info.

Still pretty lame that I’m not WAY ahead, though, given that I’ve only worked like 1 day in the last 2 weeks.

Whatever, I just have to complete it all in full on time not be perfect. In person training stuff coming up next week - will be neat to meet some of my classmates in person for scissor/boom/forklift training dates etc and first aid and then work in a shop together next month.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:51 pm

Kinda dumb, but maybe dumb luck ?

I definitely burned hella time procrastinating the last couple weeks just pissing away time online vs doing school work.

..and I’m still all caught up. Just a few vids from past modules I could watch in a couple hours just for my own knowledge.

Then the remaining assignment work I’ve already read through and I can probably bang it all off in less than half a day total and then that might be it for academic work for the program as the latest one isn’t due until the end of Feb but they want people to do it sooner. Might be more modules released next week I dunno for sure.

Then it’s all just real world practical hands on training and certifications, and then navigating the two different union application processes and scoring a first gig working in film probably as a labourer but possibly as a carpenters helper or in the paint department - doesn’t really matter too much as it’d only be a matter of months to get upgraded to carpenters helper status most likely, which is pretty sweet.

Then when there’s work for me in film I’ll punch a clock, and when there isn’t I’ll post ads and do my own contracting work or subcontract to gc’s etc.

Still have the option of commercial union work whenever I want, too. And other job offers (sales) etc. Basically, the only times I should ever not be making money are because I don’t feel like it. Lazy, tired, injured, downtime etc but there’s always always always paid work available. Not a bad problem to have considering there have been times in my life where I had great difficulty getting/keeping jobs.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 9:38 am

Sound like you got things going in a vey good direction.....Does sound like you have allowed for potential variations and or potential unexpected periods of time inbetween professional opportunities in your future career path .....?

:D :D :D :D bet your looking forward to hopefully meeting your new possible co-workers( mates) .
And equally as much possible fun of getting to play , hands on with the actual equipment for your new upcoming trade craft ? :D 8O :D ( this is not meant to imply great care when operating same equipment :skull: )

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:01 am

Variety is the spice of life.. may as well do a few different things for money.

Ya kinda looking forward to it. I’ve used most of the tools before, just not extensively as I haven’t done much carpentry.

It’ll be a neat change of scenery and good money in the long run. Like my cousin described working in film.. “It’s like carnies.. with money.”

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 12:14 pm

uhm... Carnies....sorry ,, person experience with them in the past have shown them to be a self serving lot , but lots of CYA in the Carnival industry .... but you do get to travel with the Carnival circuit . And you get to know the regulars . ( everyone else not in the business were just considered as Marks ) ....Not sure how you were referencing Carnies? 8O

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:47 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I was told procrastination is fear
And you have to work out what you're afraid of.
Failure?
Criticism?
Rejection?
Even if you don't think you're afraid, you probably are on a subconscious level.
Makes sense.
If you weren't afraid you'd have done it by now.
Damned brain.

Fear of not knowing how to do the thing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 10:14 pm

Jakki wrote:
uhm... Carnies....sorry ,, person experience with them in the past have shown them to be a self serving lot , but lots of CYA in the Carnival industry .... but you do get to travel with the Carnival circuit . And you get to know the regulars . ( everyone else not in the business were just considered as Marks ) ....Not sure how you were referencing Carnies? 8O

For on location shooting the central base camp area is called “The Circus,” in the industry. Often people travel to a show’s shooting location and stay there for the duration of the shooting schedule for that movie or season of a series, much like carnies travelling site to site setting up, doing their thing, tearing down and moving on. For on location vs in studio work it’s very much like a travelling circus.. except everyone is better paid & fed etc. And some like their alcohol & substances that apparently the industry has zero tolerance for lol riiight. W/e just never let your partying be dangerous for me and it’s all good. I don’t drink much and don’t really do drugs nor intend to so that won’t cause me problems.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2023, 9:00 pm

Whoops.

During online class last night they reminded us there’s a Friday at Midnight deadline to submit results of 4 different online (mini) courses/exams. Totally forgot about the other 3 when I did the first one!

Doing them all now. Should have an hour or two to spare.

One was a dead simple Covid safety training, the one I’m on now is WHIMIS 2015. (Easy) And then I think the other one is about general safety things or something but it’s def gonna take all evening.

Power better not go out! (It’s out a few blocks away.. wind storm.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 12:59 am

Finished them all & submitted results with 2h 10mins yes to spare.

They were all super simple. Mostly just go through the motions kind of stuff vs intense concepts to learn & memorize.

Good thing they reminded us last night!

(Aside: Last night’s guest speaker presentation was awesome. A production designer explained his process and showed off set design drawings and renderings that are almost photorealistic. We also learned how they make fake rock facades and other things like cave temples out of foam and paint etc.)

I do still have more assignments to do, maybe tmw/Sunday. But I don’t think I’m Behind on anything at all and I did manage to get the stuff in that has a deadline of tonight.. but I Could have done it this morning instead of pissing around - still procrastinated and then Hoped the power stayed on as the lights flickered once when power went out a few blocks away during this wind storm.. maybe someday I’ll learn not to procrastinate so much.. but not today, and probably not tomorrow. :P

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 1:28 pm

??????? Nothing in the World like procrastination???????

***********It can often get you,exactly " NOTHING" *********

**** Good Luck on that stuff ****
Whats better then building imaginary Rocks ! / caves.
but in Real Life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 3:04 pm

Jakki wrote:
??????? Nothing in the World like procrastination???????

***********It can often get you,exactly " NOTHING" *********

**** Good Luck on that stuff ****
Whats better then building imaginary Rocks ! / caves.
but in Real Life.

Lol plenty of things better than building imaginary caves & making rock faces out of foam and paint in silicone moulds lifted from real rocks.. you want me to start listing them?

But it would be pretty fun to make fake rocks and caves for a set someday. 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 4:14 pm

hmm.. imagine , if you could cover them with a semi permanent spray material preservation , or stucco , and
build them onto your own property . Large scale hiding places ? lololz. Spray foam , covers that look like boulders that you park your trailer home in . With cave openings ? Giant Fred Flinstone homes ??. LED lighting costs nothing ..
build in your own low voltage wiring . Living inside a theatrical prop ?.
Just a thought ?. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 4:49 pm

There are hard coatings that could be sprayed/painted on. Not sure what they use exactly - maybe some kind of resin.

Would still cost thousands in materials to build something like that. And then you’d have to have a place to put them - I just looked up what a trailer home costs here close to home. The cheapest one for sale is 50 years old and $249k, but typical prices are more like $450k+ with some quite a bit higher. Then I googled pad rental at that place and it’s $1011/mo for the spot that came up on search. So around $2500/mo for a 2 bedroom trailer home IF you buy one of the oldest cheapest ones for sale.

Can’t afford a place to stick fake rocks. :lol:

At least if I do move and rent a whole house for $3500-4000/mo it’ll be 4 or 5 bedrooms and I’ll rent the extra bedrooms/other half of the place out so my cost will be less than 2k for 2 bedrooms + we’d be in a house and get the garage, deck, yard etc.

Still wouldn’t spend thousands to make fake rocks lol - but there are already fake rocks on some houses.. “cultured stone,” as they call the material. Basically very robust fake rocks that achieve a certain look at a lower cost and less weight than real rocks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 2:47 pm

Deeeefinitely been doing it big time the last few days. Easily distracted by this situation of a shady contractor that owes me money. And then when I'm online it's way too easy to burn time on WP and Facebook instead of focusing on the simply school course work I have to complete.

But when I DO focus on school work, I blast through it fairly quickly and score 90-100% -> it is not challenging content. At All. I'm just so unfocused and undisciplined and easily distracted by internet addictions.

Knowing this about myself, it's a good thing my trade is physical and the job I'm training to apply for is physical. Phone in your pocket on silent do your work kind of stuff, check texts on breaks.

I definitely go through cycles of internet use and even my presence here on WP. Online a lot burning time when I don't have physical obligations/commitments, but then when work picks up again I'll hopefully barely be on here - and with some effort I'll cut down on my Facecrack scrolling Big Time. It's entertaining, but it's such a waste of time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 11:09 pm

I blasted out the last few assignments over a couple days last week. I think I did pretty good overall - something like 95-100% on all the assignments that count for 40% of the overall grade.