Procrastination/lack of focus.

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 3:22 am

^ kinda funny that I go from extreme procrastination to hyperfocus multitasking and banging off the most recent module in record time.. now if I could only do that much more often and not waste so much time on useless crap! If my productive use of time:waste of time ratio improved significantly, my God I'd accomplish a LOT! 8O

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 11:39 am

Sometimes little coincidences like finding something your brother worked on ... can make a persons efforts seem more worthwhile ..Keep ON ,Keeping On ..Sounds like your chips may slowly be falling into place on your education.
Regarding working in the Industry . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 11:57 am

Ya, very little to catch up on now - I could probably bring it all up to speed in an hour or two. Some little quiz questions about land acknowledgements (Indigenous) and stuff like that. Then a couple emails I gotta send to prove I completed a third party training session and test. Etc etc.

Then it’s a matter of completing other certifications in person. (Level 1 first aid, scissor/boom lifts, forklift - that one I’ve never had training on before.) And maybe do some other stuff that’s free like the Reel Green certification that takes a couple hours. (Every production has someone in charge of recycling/waste reduction as Film has the second highest carbon footprint of any industry with only aerospace polluting more.)

After that it’s a matter of determining reference letters and relevant experience that will get my foot in the door of each of the two main unions. Might have to pursue only low budget film work for a while before logging enough hours to get called out for big budget stuff where the $$ is etc. I’ll consult with a couple friends/family to see how best to navigate this process.

I’ll have to buy some more tools and things but that’s not really a big deal to drop a thousand bucks on a bunch of necessities and then buy more tools later as needed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 12:26 am

Been doing that most of today/this eve.. still haven't started reading any school material and it's almost 9:30pm. I don't have a lot of obligations this weekend so it's not the end of the world or anything if I blast through a couple modules before Monday.

But still, my lack of focus/discipline is.. annoying. It's certainly not the level of productivity I'd Like to have for myself. Ideally I could keep focused better and blast through this course material, books I wanna read, and other courses later etc. vs wasting time on useless crap like Facebook and wp as much as I do.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 2:38 am

I just did the minimum required reading for a module & completed the simple activity and quiz in ~23minutes. I skipped over watching any of the videos or checking out external web links, but I'll probably watch the videos tmw seeing as they might actually contain good info about working in the industry.

Ironically, a part of this module was about procrastination and routines/habits etc lololol Maaaaybe some of the vids about that stuff might actually be helpful.. will find out tmw. In the meantime that was probably the shortest/fastest module to complete as far as they're concerned - aced the activity and the quiz on the first attempts sooo that's good for 23mins reading & work.

Still, I'll watch the vids tmw. Just a hair behind on one mod now, then there are 2 new ones released.. so even if they take a few hours each I can bang them all off this wknd if I Focus, then go back and double check that other tasks are all complete and caught up to date. Don't wanna miss some minor little thing and have it come back and bite me in the ass! Also gotta get all this stuff dooooonnnnnnnee because in person practical training stuff is coming up and I don't wanna be falling behind and on the chopping block At ALL.

I Think a big part of the reason I didn't do much for the last week was my sore back. I just kinda sat around online not moving much, putting heat on my back etc. It's WAY better now - not perfect - but pretty damned good so it won't be adding to distractions moving forward. But I'll admit that's a bit of a b***h excuse when I know damned well I could have done schoolwork with a sore back instead of facebook/news/wp/BS habits.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 7:35 am

I recently read something about autistic inertia…this seems to be a real thing. It struck home with me so hard I have blocked everything I read.

I had a demanding schedule of various activities through most of my life.

Recently I’ve notice an increasing tendency to spend time unproductively.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 1:46 pm

I've been procrastinating on completing an assignment and moving on to the next one for literally a few days now while accomplishing little else. Just kinda stuck in this mode where I don't wanna move on to doing something else until I complete this in order.. but have been so easily distracted by wastes of time like Facebook/memes/vids/chats with friends etc.

Anyways, I had only just glanced at the assignment before but hadn't actually read it to see what it entailed.. there's a lot of text on the page so I Assumed it was a bit of an extensive assignment that would require a lot of writing to complete. I just looked at the actual assignment now and it's dead-ass simple I think I can knock it out in under 10 minutes and move onto the reading for my next assignment.

You'd think I'd start learning some lessons out of all of this.. maybe lol. I guess I'm just posting it as a lesson to myself mostly.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I've been procrastinating on completing an assignment and moving on to the next one for literally a few days now while accomplishing little else. Just kinda stuck in this mode where I don't wanna move on to doing something else until I complete this in order.. but have been so easily distracted by wastes of time like Facebook/memes/vids/chats with friends etc.

Anyways, I had only just glanced at the assignment before but hadn't actually read it to see what it entailed.. there's a lot of text on the page so I Assumed it was a bit of an extensive assignment that would require a lot of writing to complete. I just looked at the actual assignment now and it's dead-ass simple I think I can knock it out in under 10 minutes and move onto the reading for my next assignment.

You'd think I'd start learning some lessons out of all of this.. maybe lol. I guess I'm just posting it as a lesson to myself mostly.

hmmm... well things can be unexpectedly easy than you might expect .... but durn it ,, stick to the stuff you need to get done .. Possibly yeilding the best long term progress or outcomes for your personal future ....
§§§§ Just a thought appeared like you might favour a urg to get moving ? §§§§

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 4:07 pm

Got sidetracked chatting with a high school friend of my sister's who's preparing to split up with her fiance and move into her own place with her daughter. At least it was a helpful conversation. (to her.)

BUT, I did rattle off the assignment and it probably did only take me 10 minutes or so.

Gonna do some reading for the next one and a couple other things I gotta get done in life then if the stars align might pull tools outta my van and go pick up and deliver a bed for my friend. Will have to see what time frame he's free this afternoon/eve.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 4:13 pm

^ Anyone bothered to tell the fiance since she clearly made up her mind already? It's sadistic to keep him in the dark. Sounds like she hadn't announced just she could have a place to stay for a little while longer.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 17 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 4:56 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
^ Anyone bothered to tell the fiance since she clearly made up her kind already? It's sadistic to keep him in the dark. Sounds like she hadn't announced just she could have a place to stay for a little while longer.

1. No. She’ll break the news to him.

2. Not sure how you heard that from why I wrote. You just assumed. In reality, she’s the one that works, earns majority of the household income, and pays the bills. She’s also leaving him with what little savings they have so he will be okay. He can easily sublet a spare room in their house and get by okay.

She’s splitting with him because she’s grown and changed a lot since they met and is working hard towards goals while he is lazy and complacent - no longer a match for a life partner when she needs someone to be the other half of a power couple in order to forge ahead in life vs just do the bare minimum to scrape by. I don’t blame her for making this decision to cut him loose if the only effort he puts into life is the least amount necessary every ~6 months to get her to stay in his life. Plus apparently her kids Really don’t like him.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:53 am

I made a plan to procrastinate but I kept putting it off.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I made a plan to procrastinate but I kept putting it off.

That's pretty much what I did for most of yesterday. School work wise I completed one 15 minute thing. I ended up reading anything but school material. Now I need to double down and actually do schooly stuff today/this eve.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:17 pm

I was told procrastination is fear
And you have to work out what you're afraid of.
Failure?
Criticism?
Rejection?
Even if you don't think you're afraid, you probably are on a subconscious level.
Makes sense.
If you weren't afraid you'd have done it by now.
Damned brain.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:19 pm

I agree with that.
I see procrastination as fear of anxiety itself.
I worry that I might start the thing, and find it stressful.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:21 pm

^ All of the above. :-)

But sometimes it is just inertia. Right this minute, lots I could be doing...there's even stuff I WANT to do, but having a terrible time getting up from the couch. :-(