everythings always been old school alan turing

Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 1:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i like the sound quality of 15 inch per second 1/2 track open reel analog tape recorders.

IF you keep them clean reel to reels sound great. And indistinguishable from the sound of the recorded source. I took courses at the local community college in radio production. It was circa 1998 and 1999. Me and my classmates moved together through the semesters together for a couple years. And we were the last bunch to be trained in editing on reel-to-reel recording tape. We used the blocks, the razors, and narrow white tape, to cut and splice. Digital replaced it right after us. Great experience. But a b***h to do. I still own a reel to reel. Haven't touched it for a while. Me and my cohorts also learned digital audio editing on "Cool Edit" (later taken over by Adobe premier), a forerunner of most audio editing aps today (with that picture of the wave of sound moving on the screen through time that you see on TV docs). A LOT easier than physical cut and splice. But its cool to experience both. When we ran the campus radio station we kept one of the three production studios in "dinosaur mode" (all old school analog equipment). And sometimes I would duck into it to do production work when the new school studios were all being used (when endup doing both old school and new school stuff on the same projects).

did your machines use Dolby A or SR? just curious. i did my share of time on Cool Edit. a pity you can't get it anymore, it was a useful bundle of DSP algorithms. now it is subscription-only @ $30/month. did you have to use an oscilloscope to help you locate the 0-crossing points on the tape edits?

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2023, 3:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i like the sound quality of 15 inch per second 1/2 track open reel analog tape recorders.

IF you keep them clean reel to reels sound great. And indistinquishable from the sound of the recorded source.

I took courses at the local community college in radio production. It was circa 1998 and 1999. Me and my classmates moved together through the semesters together for a couple years. And we were the last bunch to be trained in editing on reel-to-reel recording tape. We used the blocks, the razors, and narrow white tape, to cut and splice. Digital replaced it right after us. Great experience. But a b***h to do. I still own a reel to reel. Havent touched it for a while. Me and my cohorts also learned digital audio editing on "Cool Edit" (later taken over by Adobe premier), a forerunner of most audio editing aps today (with that picture of the wave of sound moving on the screen through time that you see on TV docs). A LOT easier than physical cut and splice. But its cool to experience both. When we ran the campus radio station we kept one of the three production studios in "dinosaur mode" (all old school analog equipment). And sometimes I woudl duck into it to do production work when the new school studios were all being used (when endup doing both old school and new school stuff on the same projects).

Yes you guys are into analog tech like me but somebody real friendly an amtrack willmington deleware police officer told me record players are better quality than tapes and records don't break as easily as tapes. See I have been telling real people in real life about everything's always been old school fact of life and the officer for instance gets what I am saying and real people appreciate it that I am helping spread the word. Fake people who don't care what I have to say I don't need them in my life.

well things do evolve which is cool like cool things such as digital or computer stuff evolving into the internet and digital stuff like google or youtube etc uses the same algorithms or digital tech that Alan turing created in world war 2 and that is old school again of course or can be a bad thing like humans evolving into becoming worse or evil but when everything has always been old school nothing is really new or new school. People born when the modern computer was invented or during world war 2 are called the silent generation and again that is old school obviously. Some people say 1995 is gen z or and some say 1995 is millennials but I don’t care. The idea of Generations is old school or words are old school obviously for instance and the idea of evolving is old school. I can go on and on. 

People obviously don't have to like a fact but they can still accept it such as the fact everybody will die. I am sure people don't like this fact that everything's always been old school but you gotta accept it or you don't have to accept it again since it's your free will. I myself. I don't like the fact that everything's always been old school but it is what it is I accept it. Maybe it will be even more difficult to accept this fact if I knew this fact when I was younger as a kid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 9:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

IF you keep them clean reel to reels sound great. And indistinguishable from the sound of the recorded source. I took courses at the local community college in radio production. It was circa 1998 and 1999. Me and my classmates moved together through the semesters together for a couple years. And we were the last bunch to be trained in editing on reel-to-reel recording tape. We used the blocks, the razors, and narrow white tape, to cut and splice. Digital replaced it right after us. Great experience. But a b***h to do. I still own a reel to reel. Haven't touched it for a while. Me and my cohorts also learned digital audio editing on "Cool Edit" (later taken over by Adobe premier), a forerunner of most audio editing aps today (with that picture of the wave of sound moving on the screen through time that you see on TV docs). A LOT easier than physical cut and splice. But its cool to experience both. When we ran the campus radio station we kept one of the three production studios in "dinosaur mode" (all old school analog equipment). And sometimes I would duck into it to do production work when the new school studios were all being used (when endup doing both old school and new school stuff on the same projects).

did your machines use Dolby A or SR? just curious. i did my share of time on Cool Edit. a pity you can't get it anymore, it was a useful bundle of DSP algorithms. now it is subscription-only @ $30/month. did you have to use an oscilloscope to help you locate the 0-crossing points on the tape edits?

Dont know about DolbyA or SR. We used the same RtoRs that the pros did in radio. We also used "carts". Tape cartridges that are self-cueing. Carts are bigger than cassettes and look and feel like the old Eight track tapes. Carts range in time length from like only ten seconds to five minutes. We would record stuff onto them from Reel2Reels, and then use them in our shows. Up to about 1999/2000 every jingle, every ID, every soundbite (witnesses recounting how the tornado destroyed their trailer home) you heard on the radio was off of carts. Some stations put their songs on them too.

The semester AFTER me and my cohorts used Cool Edit, the professor of that class upgraded to teaching "Cool Edit Professional". Which was multi track. Never got trained on that. But the earlier consumer one track version is already awesome beyond my wildest dreams!

Mom bought an apple desktop in the early 2000s and...lo and behold...it came with an ap called "Sound Studio" ( the icon was like a circular entrance to a tunnel). And it worked identically to the single track consumer version of Cool Edit I had been using in school a few years before! So it was like meeting an old friend. It was prone to crapping out if you were trying to edit a whole hour long radio show, but it was great for short sound bites. Very useful for my little radio show. But when the family got the next Apple model it did not come with that app. The Sound Studio program just seems to not exist anymore.

Never used an oscilloscope.

But we were obsessed with mastering "calibration" also known as "zeroing". Just getting your sound levels right while sending audio through multiple devices. You just used the lights, or the dancing arrows- if you know what I am talking about. Reel to reels, and older consumer cassette decks use those arrows - and you aim to get them to point at the top of the white but stop before you go into the red (loud as possible without distortion). Newer tape decks and CD burners use that series of lights (green and red...red for when you go "into the red"). Same idea. Rather simple.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Feb 2023, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2023, 10:03 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Dont know about DolbyA or SR. We used the same RtoRs that the pros did in radio. We also used "carts". Tape cartridges that are self-cueing. Carts are bigger than cassettes and look and feel like the old Eight track tapes. Carts range in time length from like only ten seconds to five minutes. We would record stuff onto them from Reel2Reels, and then use them in our shows. Up to about 1999/2000 every jingle, every ID, every soundbite (witnesses recounting how the tornado destroyed their trailer home) you heard on the radio was off of carts. Some stations put their songs on them too.

The semester AFTER us used Cool Edit Professional. Which was multi track. Never got trained on that. But the earlier consumer one track version is already awesome beyond my wildest dreams!

Mom bought an apple desktop in the early 2000s and...lo and behold...it came with an ap called "Sound Studio" ( the icon was like a circular entrance to a tunnel). And it worked identically to the single track consumer version of Cool Edit I had been using in school a few years before! So it was like meeting an old friend. It was prone to crapping out if you were trying to edit a whole hour long radio show, but it was great for short sound bites. Very useful for my little radio show. But when the family got the next Apple model it did not come with that app. The Sound Studio program just seems to not exist anymore.

Never used an oscilloscope.

But we were obsessed with mastering "calibration" also known as "zeroing". Just getting your sound levels right while sending audio through multiple devices. You just used the lights, or the dancing arrows- if you know what I am talking about. Reel to reels, and older consumer cassette decks use those arrows - and you aim to get them to point at the top of the white but stop before you go into the red (loud as possible without distortion). Newer tape decks and CD burners use that series of lights (green and red...red for when you go "into the red"). Same idea. Rather simple.

cds are digital by the way. so many things are digital or a computer but again phones are a need but it's not necessary for phone to digital and toilets being digital now is silly to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:53 pm

well both analog and digital toilets handle the same bits.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:27 pm

^Reminds me of that joke.

Warren Buffet, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg, are all on the golf course together.

Suddenly there is sound of a phone ringing. Warren Buffet stops...puts one finger in his mouth, and another into his ear...and proceeds to talk to someone faraway on the phone. Then apologizes to his companions, and explains how he had silicon chips and mircophones surgically placed into his finger tips.

They all nod with and are all impressed.

Then a little later ... there is another sound...and Bill Gates slaps the palm of his hand over his left eye, and just start talking to unseen people. He finishes, and then apologizes to his companions. Explains that he had the inside of his eyelid surgically modified so that the inside of it is..."just like a widescreen hi def TV...I was teleconferencing with the the ten people in my board of directors...looking at each of their faces while I was talking to them!"

His golfing partners were all dutifully impressed murmuring 'wow'.

Then a minute later there is another buzzing sound.

Elon Musk pulls a roll of toilet paper out of his pocket, and then drops his pants, and just squats ... right there...right on the golf course!

He becomes aware that the rest of them are all just staring at him in silent horror.

He raises his hand and explains "it's okay. I am just getting ready to receive a fax."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:56 pm

sounds like an editorial comment by musk on the doings of the other two.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:19 pm

I guess I shoulda told it the way I heard it. With Bill Gates doing the last thing. I changed it to Musk doing the last thing because I wanted Musk to do the most disqusting thing... cause he is the one I dislike. Gates Im kinda neutral about.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm

musk seems aspie to me, similar to gates. both are hell on wheels with their employees, both are fanatics, both are genius-level IQ. both perseverate. a pox on both their houses.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2023, 12:27 am

yes I have heard of bill gates and elon musk having autism. Elon is a gay autistic man. Great joke of elon musk taking a dump lol. Weird in a good way joke and a funny joke.

So anyway again if people care to read my comments in my youtube videos please so. Or you can read my tumblr or facebook if you care to. I can't fit the entire post here.

Again I rather use analog stuff or spread my message in person but since this is a digital world for now then I will use digital stuff. I don’t even know why I am doing this using digital stuff to spread my message and why even bother since there are people who don’t care what I have to say then I obviously have free will just like other people to not care or not be interested in what you have to say. Whether people talk in person analog or digitally ,which I prefer analog again, so whether people talk in real life or analog I won’t care what you have to say unless you agree or talk about everything’s always been old school life fact and Alan turing then I’m interested. Yes I know there are people who do get what I am saying or care what I have to say but again there are still people who don't.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/kmr95

https://www.facebook.com/raisingtraditi ... melifekb95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvRu4yJ-dN4&t=2s

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2023, 1:16 am

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXLDy0ebFBN8dJcqOj6-9RoIsNq48iqc8

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2023, 11:15 am

by the way auntblabby you said you don't live in the usa right? I know you're a military vet

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 12:08 pm

Blabby does live in the US. In Washington State.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 6:10 pm

techlife95 wrote:
by the way auntblabby you said you don't live in the usa right? I know you're a military vet

no Kenneth, i do live in washington state and yes i am a vet, nominally.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2023, 2:02 am

ok sorry guys my good weird bad weird memory sometimes I don't know why I thought you lived outside usa anyway

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXLDy0ebFBN8dJcqOj6-9RoIsNq48iqc8

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2023, 12:20 am

all I care obviously is you read playlist descriptions please