Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 2:50 am

The PBS show ‘In A Different Key’ might boost progress in better understanding High Functioning Autism (HFA)- that is people on the Autism Spectrum who are "not disabled enough, yet not quite able enough!"

From my own personal experiences as an independent adult with HFA, too many resources intended to help adults on the Autism Spectrum are geared towards adults with developmental disabilties more limiting that HFA. In short, service-providers who advise potential clientele (with HFA for example) are unaccustomed to "best practices" appropriate for HFA - much confusion, spinning-wheels, etc.

In short, it seems that affordable reputable financial literacy workshops offering trusted advisors to act as "third parties" for clients in consumer matters appears favorable - "best practices" appropriate for HFA.

An example, a third-party might be present during consultations with financial services personnel - on those very rare occasions when such consultations are even necesary.

I've been advised that credit unions might offer similar services, and the services of fidiciaries would be both expensive, and an overkill. One wrinkle (words to the wise) are to be very wary of ANY.......... financial literacy workshops offering trusted advisors to act as "third parties" for clients in consumer matters.

Basically, from my own experiences (being very proactive, and resourceful minded), I would probably be able to handle the smaller financial matters independently.

A potential wrinkle remains a possibility in this ever-more complex world; that "nagging sense" of difficult situations possibly arising during consultations remains on my mind - hence, again who specifically (other than immediate family / family friends) may serve as "a fallback of sorts" in the event a trusted third party is necessary?

What specific approaches might resolve these concerns?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2023, 6:02 pm

The PBS Show ‘In A Different Key’ invites initiatives to boost progress in building supportive communties, or supportive resources to boost support for largely independent adults on the Autism Spectrum.

Can ‘In A Different Key’ prove to be that turning-point in Autism Spectrum awareness, and initiatives? Why has follow-up been lacking?

Anybody aware of specific resources? For example, it can prove helpful to contact those trustworthy agencies (even agencies a distance away) which might demonstarate examples of best-practices; that is practices proven appropriate to serve adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely indepdendent.

Best practices are to treat services largely on a consultation basis - and at that, consultations for largely independent adults might just prove to be rarely necessary.

I hesitate to mention AANE (Autism Asperger NEtwork) in the Boston Region - as AANE seems to apply best-practices appropriate for adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent.

What are specific agencies sharing similarites to AANE? www.aane.org