Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2023, 11:46 am

I tried Doxepin, Amphetamine, Trimipramine, THC, Ketamine, Bupropion, Tianeptine, and few others. Doxepin and Trimipramine are okayish against depression, but otherwise not very helpful.

Tianeptine helped me most. E.g. it increased my ability to learn new things and replaced THC. But I don't think it will do the same for every autist.

It barely has any side-effects, and unlike most antidepressants has effects immediately, but in my case it severely impaired sleep. So I had to take a small dose of Trimipramine or Agomelatine to be able to sleep again. Agomelatine basically does something similar as Melatonin, but brings more cash to pharma companies.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:32 pm

I refuse to take any medication from some snake oil salesman who thinks they're a real doctor and that they know me, the three different psychiatric drugs I have to take every day is bad enough. :x

Morphine and heroine are insanely addictive and dangerous drugs, it's bad enough so many people being prescribed morphine for severe pain quickly become drug addicts who either kill themselves with an overdose or suffer horrible withdrawal symptoms. Also heroine is very illegal, at least in the country I live in.

I especially refuse to take any advice from someone who claims vodka "cures" the "symptoms" of autism. I don't even drink alcohol and I never intend to start. :x

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2023, 9:20 am

I'm taking Tianeptine again since Saturday (3 x 12.5mg daily, as with my previous prescription), after not taking it for over a year. It works very well. Decreases depression, stress and anxiety, increases focus/concentration, motivation/drive, wakefulness and probably increases neuroplasticity.

It's also really easy to quit taking Tianeptine. At least if you only took it in the recommended dosage.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 10:12 am

Generally I try and stay away from as much prescription medicine as possible. Many medicines tend to hide mental issues rather than fix them. They fall apart in the end.

I will make two recommendations.

I use a non prescription supplement called "Cellular Health" by Juvenon. In my humble opinion, I think it keeps my brain from aging. I am 74 years old and my hair began turning white and falling out about 20 years ago. I have been taking this product for around 10 years now and my hair has stopped falling out and still keeps it's color. So I would recommend this.

The second thing I would recommend for those with Asperger's Syndrome is use great caution when using any type of blood thinners. Almost 2 years ago I was about to die of a heart attack but the doctors fixed that condition. But because the pressure on my heart was very strong for several months prior to the operation (170 beats per minute), it lead to a stroke three weeks after my surgery. I believe the root cause of my stroke was due to an earlier injury, an injury that caused Asperger's. I was attacked by a large bull when I was around 3 years old. I experienced what is defined as a Near Death Experience at that time. It damaged my brain and produced the affect called Asperger's. So two years ago, they had put me on blood thinners to minimize the heart attack problems but that combined by my earlier injury (age 3) lead to the stroke. At least that is my perception. So bottom line is that if you have Asperger's be very cautious when using too much medical prescribed blood thinners.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:27 pm

klanka wrote:
I'm trying nutritional yeast or brewers yeast.
The theory is that some people can't take in b vitamins properly so need them from yeast instead of normal food sources or vitamin tablets.
I did notice more normal thought patterns and behaviours after taking 3-4 pills at once.

I think it's irresponsible to list heroin morphine and codeine as if they are on the same level as antidepressants.

Yes I like the idea of checking out nutrient aberrations and tweaking the intake to set straight anything that's out of whack. It seems a wiser first resort than to plunge into medications without first knowing the diet is right. As I consume a remarkably standardised diet I was able to do the sums recently, and was quite surprised at the nutrients I'm theoretically not getting enough of. Vitamins A, B6, B7, B12, D and E, calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, choline, lycopene, lutein, zeaxanthene, methionine, even sodium was markedly low, though whether that's good or bad depends on who you believe. Fluoride wasn't above the recommended level but again some say it's a bad thing even at the RDA level. Calories were encouragingly not too high. I think a lot of the lows are down to my being vegetarian and not eating much food in general.

I looked into brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast but it seems there's either not enough information about the amounts of all the different B vitamins, or the yeast just doesn't contain very many of them. And they didn't look very cheap.

Currently I'm looking into individual vitamin and mineral supplements with a view to using small amounts of a lot of different ones to get my intake up to the RDA values. In most cases they're more cost effective (per day) and precisely-controllable than altering my intake of various foods, but the initial financial outlay is still likely to be quite high. After that I'll have enough for ages because I generally don't need to take anything like as much as the makers recommend - they often want people to take well over the RDA, and I've no intention of doing anything so dangerous without just cause.

Of course all of this ignores the question of the individual's absorption of these things, which as you say can be quite impaired for some people with some nutrients. It would probably be a good idea to get some blood tests to find out what the internal levels really were, but in my case I don't have a doctor in the USA (don't want to buy health insurance) and I can't imagine the UK's NHS would want to help me, they'd probably just think me a bumbling amateur who doesn't know what he's doing, and dismiss my opinions as nothing like as important as theirs. And being a free service, they wouldn't want to spend any money unless they had to. I suppose I could buy a blood test for nutrients, but I don't know where to look for that or how much they'd charge.