Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:07 pm

It is interesting.

I was behind on the "demographic arms race" there. I knew that Israelies had a low birth rate and the Palestinians were typical of third world countries and had a high birth rate. So Israel depended upon immigration to stay in balance.

Didnt know that modernization has since hit the Palestinians, and that apparently they now have a first world type low birthrate.

So now the race is on, not between Arabs and Jews, but between secular Jews and Orthodox Jews, within lthe Jewish population within Israel because the Orthodox crank out more kids.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 7:49 am

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... erm=070423

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 5:54 pm

Historian Yuval Noah Harari warns of dictatorship in Israel

Quote:
As a proud citizen of Israel, I am deeply concerned that my government is trying to establish a dictatorship.

Many dictatorships in history were established not by tanks firing in the streets, but by signing papers behind closed doors. By the time people understood what was happening, it was too late to resist.

To understand what is happening in Israel, you need to ask just one question: What limits the power of the government?

In the U.S.A., there is an entire system of checks and balances. In Israel, we have no constitution, no Senate, no federal structure, and no other check on the power of the central government, except one: the Supreme Court.

Now the government is trying to gain control of the Supreme Court. If it succeeds, there will be no mechanism that limits its power. Coalition members have already proposed numerous laws and regulations that discriminate against Muslims, Christians, women, LGBTQ people and secular people.

Also, with the Supreme Court neutralized, the government could easily rig the elections

This should be a grave concern, not just to Americans who care about democracy or about the Jewish people. The U.S.A. might soon have to deal with a new militaristic dictatorship in the Middle East, armed not only with nuclear capabilities, but also with advanced cyber-weapons able to strike anywhere in the world.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman