Another result of climate change: "zombie" viruses

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:03 pm

Content warning: scary article implying likely future pandemics

'Zombie' Viruses, Up to 50,000 Years Old, Are Awakening: Climate change is arousing ancient pathogens in the Siberian permafrost, posing a threat to amoebas and people alike, by Sam Walters, Discover, Dec 20, 2022.

Excerpt:

Quote:
Thirteen viruses from tens of thousands of years ago have been recovered and reactivated, according to a preprint paper published in BioRxiv. These threats had been idling in the Siberian tundra for approximately 30,000 to 50,000 years before being brought back.

And, as it turns out, they may not be alone. That's because the thawing of the frozen terrain, thanks to climate change, could revive an assortment of additional “zombie” viruses in the years to come.

“Zombie” Viruses

Permafrost — the frigid terrain that stays frozen throughout the year — comprises over 10 percent of our planet’s surface and substantial swaths of the Arctic, a circumpolar area containing Alaska, Scandinavia and Siberia. But the Arctic’s temperatures are warming almost four times faster than the average around the world, and the permafrost there is fading fast, freeing all sorts of frozen organisms, including microbes and viruses from thousands of years ago.

An abundance of research has delved into the diversity of microbes that have been freed by the thawing of the permafrost, but far fewer researchers have described the viruses. In fact, though these threats can sometimes resume their activity following their thaw, scientists have studied this process of viral recovery and reactivation only two other times, in 2014 and in 2015.

[...]

Many of the most infectious viruses for people, such as coronaviruses, are too flimsy to survive the frigid tundra temperatures for thousands of years. But others, such as smallpox, can withstand the cold. Therefore, if people come into contact with a patch of thawing permafrost infused with one of these tougher threats, there’s a chance that they could be catch a virus from ages ago.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:11 pm

Oh joy

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 6:18 pm

That's how humanity died sometime before the events of The Talos Principle.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 7:29 pm

Another apocalyptic conspiracy theory?  Oh, puh-leez!  Do we really need another scare story to keep us awake at night?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 1:14 am

This is not a conspiracy theory. This is an actual scientific finding.

The point is simply this: One of the likely consequences of climate change is more pandemics than there would otherwise be.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 3:32 am

Yeah, sorry Mona. Bad hangover this morning. Should have said something more like, “Probably not that bad” instead.

Permafrost has been thawing for decades, and the worst pandemic so far has come out of Wuhan, China.

Besides, those virii were present early in human evolution, so we likely have some built-in resistances by now.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 12:53 pm

I read about this 5+ years ago. It's a real thing. Spanish flu and other viruses locked in the ice/frozen animals, ice melts, live animals eat/drink/breathe/come in contact, spread it amongst herds, then on to people - maybe.

Possible, but in the grand scheme of viruses do spread like wildfire and people get sick/die then... that's what happens and the rest of life goes on for the living like every time viruses circulate. No sense in getting all worked up about mother nature doing what mother nature does.

A bit ironic, though, that it may be man made climate change that's thawing the ice and bringing this upon ourselves. Nature has a way of balancing things out.. this is just one of them. F with the Earth and the Earth will F you back just as hard to keep things in balance.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I read about this 5+ years ago. It's a real thing. Spanish flu and other viruses locked in the ice/frozen animals, ice melts, live animals eat/drink/breathe/come in contact, spread it amongst herds, then on to people - maybe.

Possible, but in the grand scheme of viruses do spread like wildfire and people get sick/die then... that's what happens and the rest of life goes on for the living like every time viruses circulate. No sense in getting all worked up about mother nature doing what mother nature does.

A bit ironic, though, that it may be man made climate change that's thawing the ice and bringing this upon ourselves. Nature has a way of balancing things out.. this is just one of them. F with the Earth and the Earth will F you back just as hard to keep things in balance.

The Gaia Hypothesis. :nerdy:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

Another BS conspiracy theory just for an excuse to control everybody and enforce lockdowns and isolations and social distancing. :roll:

OK I was panicking and covering it up by acting all skeptic about it. I wish I hadn't seen this thread now though because it's just triggered my anxiety and depression.

I'm already worrying about the NHS collapsing and poor people like me with no health insurance to back us up are going to be massively affected the most. Now with all these viruses we're all going to be getting I won't be able to afford treatment so I'll probably just die a slow, painful death.

I like Fnord's first reply, as that is what I'm feeling right now. Everybody else in this thread seems to lack panic. I envy you.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 3:25 pm

Worst thing that could happen is that you and everyone you care about dies, which is going to happen anyway.
A virus is not going to destroy the planet and neither will climate change.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 3:28 pm

lostproperty wrote:
Worst thing that could happen is that you and everyone you care about dies, which is going to happen anyway.

It's the government control system that bothers me. I don't think I can withstand another 2020 again.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 4:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:
lostproperty wrote:

It's the government control system that bothers me. I don't think I can withstand another 2020 again.

I think that's inevitable. If nature or "climate change" doesn't provide them with an excuse for the next phase of their power grab (disguised as solutions to keep us all safe), they'll have something else in mind.

What is less certain is how easily it will be for them to get people to comply next time. There's a rapidly growing percentage of the population now wising up to what's really going on, at least to the point they realise that governments are no longer to be trusted, but the effects of what's already been done to them will weaken their resolve in the longer term, with more and more people being pushed into poverty, ill health and family breakdowns and a greater reliance on the state.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 5:32 pm

It's difficult to live in a society run by government that want to control everybody to "save lives" yet they want health care to be unaffordable so people will die from lack of health care.

I really don't want to live under control like that. In 2020 and 2021 I wasn't allowed to see my mother when she was dying of cancer. She's not around any more and I never got to spend her last two years with her. She even got too ill to talk over the phone.

I don't want to be controlled like that any more. My friend just asked me if we could meet up this summer but I feel like saying we can't because we'll probably be in lockdown again with the bubonic plague or something. :roll:

It's all right for most of you logical scientists on WP, you don't freak out about s**t like this.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 6:24 pm

It will be just like it used to be in days gone by. People lived and they died... There was no healthcare except for the knowledge of plants that people passed along, the wise women/men of the communities. We've sort of be afforded a false sense of security through modern medicine, but I believe we've always been just one big virus away from extinction.
I will add that when I was younger, hadn't yet lived quite what I felt was my fair share of years, I got much more worked up over things like this. Since life knocked me upside the head for about 20 years straight I've come to believe that there are worse things than death.
What will be will be, I will no longer squander what remains of my life worrying about what I can't change. And I believe the earth freezes and warms, in cycles. There are ruins of old civilizations at the bottoms of oceans. Earthquakes, Volcanoes, tectonic shifts, tsunamis, floods, mud slides... Things get buried and then come to light again.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 8:35 pm

Viruses 'coming to life' in the thawing Siberian Taiga, or northwoods of Canada, wouldve been active 50 thousand years ago during the last warm break between two Ice Ages.

Said virus might be gunning to infect saber tooth tigers that dont exist anymore. Even if they were dangerous to modern critters, or to humans, they would affect areas of the world still remote and thinly populated. Siberia is not NYC, and its not Wuhan. Not a crowded major transportation hub.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 10:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Viruses 'coming to life' in the thawing Siberian Taiga, or northwoods of Canada, wouldve been active 50 thousand years ago during the last warm break between two Ice Ages.

Said virus might be gunning to infect saber tooth tigers that dont exist anymore. Even if they were dangerous to modern critters, or to humans, they would affect areas of the world still remote and thinly populated. Siberia is not NYC, and its not Wuhan. Not a crowded major transportation hub.

Please be right.