Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 6:42 pm

Where a fact (especially about autism) is so clearly obvious that very little or even no research has been done on the subject, but people still ask for proof of this fact being a reality knowing full well that such proof doesn't exist because why would someone be dumb enough to research it?

Examples.

Is water wet?
How far can quadriplegics walk?
Does the human heart actually exist?
Do people eventually die?
(Obviously the examples aren't about autism but you get the idea)

Anyone ever get exasperated with it here?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 6:57 pm

I only apply it to social integration.

I generally find a complete disconnect with people, wanting to communicate but being unable to, like there is a glass wall and a vacuum between me and other people.

I think this difficulty finding commonality is what resulted in the wrong planet analogy. I don't really use it myself though, my own term is glass wall.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 31 Dec 2022, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 6:59 pm

Nades wrote:
Where a fact (especially about autism) is so clearly obvious that very little or even no research has been done on the subject, but people still ask for proof of this fact being a reality knowing full well that such proof doesn't exist because why would someone be dumb enough to research it?

Examples.

Is water wet?

Of the examples you picked thjey are poor as all of those things can be proven with the exception of water but it's nto really proveable in the first place and isn't really a valid question. Wet is the property of being soaked in water how can water be soaked in water it is water.
how far can quadriplegics walk, Well techincally there is probably peopel who sue prosthetics. but it's rather easily proviable too just get a quadriplegic or a handful fo them and test it.
Does the huamn heart exist just cut a human opena nd boom heart or evne jsut feel your heartbeat
do peopel eventually die simple just kill someone. none of these are really falacies except the first one. but I feel like there is quite a bit of philosophical research on whether water is wet or not. I find mostthings like tihs barring that parodx are rahter easy to prove the problem is more you get stumped cause you never think about why that is you just know that it is.

[/color]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 7:26 pm

"Facts" may be obvious to only one person, yet that one person will assert that his/her "facts" are universally valid and do not require supporting evidence.  Yet without evidence to back up the person's claims, the "facts" are as easily dismissed -- without evidence -- and more are properly ignored.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 7:42 pm

I saw a video the other day that said "Autistic Children grow into autistic adults".

When I see something like that I like to add, "and in other news, water is wet".

Seriously, it's as if they think autistic people disappear from the world once they turn 18. But I think usually it just becomes less obvious for many autistic people, because when you become an adult you have more control over what to wear, what to eat, how much you do or don't want to socialize, and how much time you get to spend on your interests. So people think you're "less autistic" or you've somehow outgrown it because they don't see the negative side of it as much when you're actually ALLOWED TO BE YOURSELF. 8O

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 2:20 am

Ah, yes.

Though the way I express my exasperation of this particular type of situation is by laughing hysterically.

Hahaha... :D :D :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! !!

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 2:47 am

Nades wrote:

Examples.

Is water wet?

I think that its safe to say that ...NO one can figure out what you are talking about.

Even the folks on this thread who responded in ways that indicate that they THINK they know what you are talking about - are responding with Non sequiturs to what you said.

You need to give examples- that actually have to do with autism.

Are you talking about 'tautologies'? Asserting that 'bachelors are single'. And somebody responding with 'not enough research has been done to prove that all bachelors are single' when 'being single' is part of the definition of 'bachelor'.

Maybe your issue is that folks are skeptical that 'autistics are X' when being X is part of the diagnositic criteria for autism?

Autistic12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2023, 2:43 pm

It is a common question on whether or not individuals with autism are capable of experiencing emotions. While it may be self-evident to me that this is the case, it can be difficult to provide concrete evidence to those who may hold such misconceptions.

Could you provide an explanation that clearly demonstrates the capability of individuals with autism to experience emotions, in a way that is easily understood by all as an incontestable fact?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 10:44 pm