Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 10:33 pm

Today 55-58 degrees fahrenheit. A couple of weeks ago it was 35 degrees

Today raining hard and windy. I work outside pushing carts

Scheduled to work 10am to 2:45pm.

After break, started shivering so hard that I thought about leaving work early, even if I got an Occurrence (been working there over two years and zero occurrences).

Loitered around inside the building for one hour. (The other lot attendant was doing the same thing.) Wet shoes, clothes and hair. Three jackets and still trembling.

The older I get the more vulnerable to cold weather I get. And where I live is not that cold.

Paranoid of getting hypothermia or sick

39, 5'3, 120#

Also, paranoid that if I get made redundant, no other company will ever hire my worthless corpse again and I will be homeless.

Shoes got wet three consecutive days

Pretty soon will need new shoes

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2023, 6:40 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

After break, started shivering so hard that I thought about leaving work early, even if I got an Occurrence (been working there over two years and zero occurrences).

Loitered around inside the building for one hour. (The other lot attendant was doing the same thing.) Wet shoes, clothes and hair. Three jackets and still trembling.

The older I get the more vulnerable to cold weather I get. And where I live is not that cold.

39, 5'3, 120#

Also, paranoid that if I get made redundant, no other company will ever hire my worthless corpse again and I will be homeless.

55 fahrenheit is ca 12 celcius. It's not that cold.
Perhaps you're talking about the rain as the big issue.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 7:08 am

Gammeldans wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

39, 5'3, 120#

55 fahrenheit is ca 12 celcius. It's not that cold.
Perhaps you're talking about the rain as the big issue.

It’s cold enough if you’re standing out in it for a few hours. Wind and driving rain doesn’t help. And people react differently to heat and cold.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 4:22 pm

I worked for very long periods of time outside in every kind of weather, much of it sub zero. the trick is to wear appropriate foot wear and to dress in as many layers as possible. Use natural fiber such as wool, which will insulate from heat as well as cold and breathes even if it gets wet. if it is going to be super cold, you can use heated socks and glove/mittens or chemical warmers (but it doesn't sound that cold where you are working (yet?) . Experiment with various thicknesses and fabrics, down, thinsulate, and treat all exterior clothing with spray on water repellant. Eventually you will come upon the right combo of clothing to make working in present weather conditons comfortable. Ask those around you who have been working in the outdoors for a long time how they cope... you might get some useful information for your area.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 4:25 pm

I'll add to my previous post. drink lots of water, liquids like broth or juice (no alcohol) and stay hydrated, if its really cold, try to drink warm liquids . if you are even slightly dehydrated your body's thermostat can not work at its best.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 5:54 pm

I will just be annoying and take it non-literally.