Anyone in the UK that thinks they may have ADHD or ADD ?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 4:10 am

JonathanCampbell99 wrote:
I’m from the U.K., Northern Ireland to be exact, I’m assuming I have NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) instead of Autism, but with NVLD if it’s what I have, it’s more so the struggles with time management and organisation,

How do you know that's NVLD and not simply Autism with executive functioning impairments? Is NVLD also know for executive function problems?

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2023, 4:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
I have both inattentive type and hyperactive type. I practically have nearly all the symptoms, except the addictions to drink or drugs but I am addicted to other things such as online posting. Impulsivity has always been my main problem.

Do you, or does anyone else, know if a history of drug use or self medicating is a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to getting an ADHD diagnosis? I mean, does it tick a box in a negative or positive way if a person wants a diagnosis and access to medications?

Does anyone know, or have any thoughts on this?

I think on one level self-medicating shows that the need is very real, but on the other hand they might turn round and say 'we're not giving you these stimulant medications because due to your history we think you will abuse them'.

That would be so unfair, and I don't know what I'd do if they were to say that. I use drugs to self medicate my conditions as I need help just to hold down a job, but I'm not getting any. I don't "abuse drugs" in order to get high.

(Just to be clear, I'm not attacking you Joe 90, I'm just concerned about how the system might screw me over.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 5:53 am

Shadweller wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I have both inattentive type and hyperactive type. I practically have nearly all the symptoms, except the addictions to drink or drugs but I am addicted to other things such as online posting. Impulsivity has always been my main problem.

Do you, or does anyone else, know if a history of drug use or self medicating is a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to getting an ADHD diagnosis? I mean, does it tick a box in a negative or positive way if a person wants a diagnosis and access to medications?

Does anyone know, or have any thoughts on this?

I think on one level self-medicating shows that the need is very real, but on the other hand they might turn round and say 'we're not giving you these stimulant medications because due to your history we think you will abuse them'.

That would be so unfair, and I don't know what I'd do if they were to say that. I use drugs to self medicate my conditions as I need help just to hold down a job, but I'm not getting any. I don't "abuse drugs" in order to get high.

(Just to be clear, I'm not attacking you Joe 90, I'm just concerned about how the system might screw me over.)

I know you're not attacking me.
Prescription drugs are different from illegal drugs, and nobody will deny you of prescription drugs or over-the-counter drugs, if you're using them to help you.