it is a perennial fresh hell for me :o 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
i never give it any thought :shrug: 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
where's my neopolitan new year's icecream? :chef: 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 34

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 4:28 am

I find Christmas harder to deal with than New Year's. And the whole deal that it's summer, which I hate. Bring on winter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 4:38 am

fall is my fave season. why can't it be fall forever? when i go to sleep at night, i immerse myself in fall feels. when i wake in the morning i immerse myself in more fall feels. leaving my xmas lights/decorations on helps throughout the year.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:49 am

It's hell for me because I know that my favourite month is over. I know that the things that I want to see change won't. I'll keep being misgendered. If I had a quarter for each time that Barb and I are both addressed as ladies, I'd have enough money to get the operation of my dreams, the sex change operation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:54 am

if i were wealthy i'd make a place in the western part of the pacific northwest called "december village" and it would be surrounded by tall evergreens, an enclave inside the woods that was set up to look like december. the ground would be painted white like frost, and the trees would have artificial frost on them, with holiday decorations all around and it'd be christmas year-round in that village. :santa: it would be more "leavenworth" than leavenworth! but it wouldn't be anywhere near as cold as the real thing.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 5:10 am

^^ The last time I was in Victoria, BC, there was a year-round Christmas decor store in the tourist area.
I don't have any trouble with a new year in the sense of the number sequence being incremented - New Year's Day is only one day farther, as usual. I do feel dismay at how both myself, and the world I tried to save, are quickly deteriorating now. Until 2021, I had never felt that heat was dangerous, not just uncomfortable.
What I like about this week is that December is over. That's the month that all my routines get upset, and everyone is too busy to visit me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 6:44 am

it is just that the holiday season seems like a respite from the normal meanness. it seems finer, better, more civil, prettier, gentler.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2023, 8:11 pm

Years ago, I had an annual job, printing out a custom calendar on a scroll. My customer wanted Monday as the first day of the week, and she wanted it on a roll so that it could be wound up one week at a time, letting her enter appointments without flipping up to the next month. This year, I finally perfected my own version of this. I took a standard promo calendar, with pictures on the back of months to show one of each. I drilled a second hole in it, and cut it into individual pages. I have three little nails in the wall. On the top one, a picture hangs. On the middle one January is displayed now. On the bottom February is showing, stacked on all the others. On Feb. 1, the January page will be flipped to become the picture, and the February page moves up one.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 7:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it is just that the holiday season seems like a respite from the normal meanness. it seems finer, better, more civil, prettier, gentler.

That has been my experience. It was especially true this past Christmas. I love the Christmas lights most of all. New Years seems like acknowledging so much loss.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 9:21 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That has been my experience. It was especially true this past Christmas. I love the Christmas lights most of all. New Years seems like acknowledging so much loss.

the sudden withdrawal of seasonal prettiness and lightness is jarring to me. :o

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 9:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

by seasonal prettiness are you thinking of autumn?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 9:33 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

by seasonal prettiness are you thinking of autumn?

it starts in autumn, yes. then the lights come up after thanksgiving and adds another layer of prettiness. :santa:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 9:58 pm

I never have to think about coping with any new year myself.

Only this unending frustration that something that had started anew has to end because I'm already done with it.

For me to enjoy any transition, there are some conditions: one is to be informed enough of something. Two is a ready mind and body -- so no mind addled by whatever fluctuations to my body.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 10:07 pm

the holidays make it easier for me to deal with my addlements.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 3:39 am

auntblabby wrote:

Can't say I noticed any change in people's attitudes towards me or in their general behaviour. But then we're talking about a very small number of observations. My reclusive nature was one reason for that, another was the fact that the local open mic venue closed for the season.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 4:16 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Can't say I noticed any change in people's attitudes towards me or in their general behaviour. But then we're talking about a very small number of observations. My reclusive nature was one reason for that, another was the fact that the local open mic venue closed for the season.

are they closed due to cold winter weather, or for some other reason?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 4:34 am

auntblabby wrote:

This time, I put my lights up and down, canny to not get cold now, but didn't get extravagant with the timer. I didn't even go for a walk to look at other lights and indulge in a bit of nostalgia for past Christmasses. I was glad to run across fewer Carols, etc, in the general media. I think I swapped seasonal greetings with two or three other pedestrians, also down this year. However, people were busy celebrating in private. I went to five Zoom meetings in December where nobody else showed up. It is a lonely, not a friendly season for me.