Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 9:49 pm

I'm sort of trying to plan out my 'vision' of my life from my forties to my sixties in terms of what changing social demography and tendencies will both allow me to do different and what they'll force me to conform to if I don't want to get wrecked. Playing with some different concepts but one observation came up that hit me as unusual.

I was considering the possibility that as I get older, especially over 50, if people see a man or woman who acts differently, particularly things like premeditated nonverbal queues or slow and precise verbiage, people might be less likely to assume that an aspie is a psychopath or something else along those lines as they do in your 20's or 30's but in their fifties or up I'm guessing they'd be more likely to assume that it was the sign of a stroke rather than something like danger or mental illness?

It's what I'd predict from modeling but I'm curious if any of you have run into that as a sort of wipe sweat off your brow 'Thank God it was just that again rather than limbic terror'. I'd rather take the medical pity assumption over the 'He's dangerous!' assumption any day of the week.

Kind of sad that we have to worry about these kinds of 'mapping patterns' for human behavior and assumptions but it's what I've been doing all my life and I want to see if I can do my best at building a map of the creepy that I'd have to deal with on my way there.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 10:58 pm

So what, exactly, is your “quick” question?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 8:02 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
but in their fifties or up I'm guessing they'd be more likely to assume that it was the sign of a stroke rather than something like danger or mental illness?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 3:07 pm

My advice? Get a dog.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 8:45 pm

Upon consideration, I’d say that when I make a faux pas of the NT sort, people are likely to see me as a batty old lady, rather than weird.

So, yes, getting older does give NTs another option. They can make the assumption your problems are due to age, rather than autism, which they would just see as weird.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 9:29 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Upon consideration, I’d say that when I make a faux pas of the NT sort, people are likely to see me as a batty old lady, rather than weird.

So, yes, getting older does give NTs another option. They can make the assumption your problems are due to age, rather than autism, which they would just see as weird.

TY.

Got something to look forward to that's not perpetual status-sniffing, potential-serial-killer-sniffing, etc..

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 10:27 pm

I'm not in my 60s yet but I've always been viewed as eccentric and odd.
Then I actually did have a stroke (actually two).
I found people were much more accepting of me when I used a walker or cane.
When the wheelchair bus came to my door people seemed to feel sorry me instead of confused.
People weren't judging me or wondering because they had "proof" of me being disabled.

When I stopped using assistive devices and started driving again, I got more weird looks.
Invisible disabilities are very difficult to deal with.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 11:29 pm

curmudgeon

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 11:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
When I stopped using assistive devices and started driving again, I got more weird looks.
Invisible disabilities are very difficult to deal with.

My life experience suggests that they're looking to treat each other like crap anyway and accordingly look for anyone whose fair game. Hidden disabilities tend to fall in that category.