Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 4:50 am

Just when you thought a Trump couldn't get any lower.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump ... 12235.html

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 9:18 am

And people really wonder why so many Americans are turning away from Christianity?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh boy.I think its ironic that a super rich man is selling Bibles considering that the Bible says that super rich people cant go to Heaven.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:34 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Oh boy.I think its ironic that a super rich man is selling Bibles considering that the Bible says that super rich people cant go to Heaven.

Well there's also super rich pastors who milk their congregation for every last cent they can get...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:37 pm

Don’t people know they can get one for free in any hotel room?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm

I totally misunderstood the title. I thought for a minute that maybe he had done something like enter bible verses into one of those online translators, only using 'pimp speak' instead of an actual language. I admit, I'm more than a little disappointed. That could have been really funny.

That's all I have...nothing relevant to the actual topic...moving along now...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:49 pm

So, basically it is the "British Monarchy American Christian Nationalist Edition"?
That is so farcical on so many levels.
:roll:
https://wethepeoplebible.com/#testimonials

Quote:
The We The People Bible was designed with the patriot in mind and features a vertical reversed American flag design that represents a country in distress. Our bible is proudly made in the USA and has been designed with large print that delivers an easy reading experience to anyone looking to explore the tried-and-true King James (KJV) translation.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 12:51 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well there's also super rich pastors who milk their congregation for every last cent they can get...

True.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 2:04 pm

Religion being sold like a product yet again.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 2:27 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Religion being sold like a product yet again.

When has it ever not been sold as a product?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 4:14 pm

What is it about the King James version that evangelicals like better?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What is it about the King James version that evangelicals like better?

My family history has centuries of evangelical history and I can't immediately answer that question.
At least not answer it immediately with anything other than an observation that it looks like some people have taken things to the point of worshiping the KJV more than they worship Jesus.

Anyway, I will offer links to some related discussion,

https://billygraham.org/answer/is-the-k ... ble-bible/
Quote:

Q:
Is the King James Bible the only reliable Bible?
A:

The work of Bible translation is very complicated, and misunderstanding easily arises. We do not have the original Hebrew/Aramaic Old Testament or the original Greek New Testament as written by inspired men of God. What we have is an Old Testament in Hebrew/Aramaic and thousands of Greek manuscripts of part or all of the New Testament painstakingly copied and passed on to us through the centuries.

There are differences in the Greek manuscripts such as minor issues of punctuation, spelling, word order, certain verses included in some manuscripts and not in others, etc., but none of these differences affect any of the major doctrines of our Christian faith.

Some people prefer the King James translation because they have been familiar with it, often from childhood. Others prefer modern translations because they are more easily understood. Also, modern translators have the advantage of using many older Greek manuscripts of the New Testament discovered since the King James translation was made. Most scholars consider these older manuscripts more reliable than the few later manuscripts available to those who translated the King James Bible.

It is also helpful to remember that, while King James “authorized” a particular translation for the Church of England in the 17th century, it is no more authoritative for us today than any other translation. It was highly criticized in its day by those who preferred earlier translations, and it went through a number of revisions. The King James Version most widely used today is the 1769 revision.

People sometimes pick up two translations and expect them to be word-for-word the same. When they find words “missing” or changed, they think something sinister has happened. In reality, both can be perfectly faithful translations of the original language. The basic structures of languages differ from one another, and translation is not just a matter of taking a Greek sentence and finding English words to match. A helpful resource on this topic is the book “How To Read The Bible For All It’s Worth” by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart.

Do not get caught up into a divisive and fruitless controversy over which of many good translations is best. Instead, consider using a number of them in your study and reading, and join in prayer that all peoples in all countries of the world might soon have the Word of God in their own language.

and

King James Only?
Is the King James only doctrine correct? Is the King James Version the only inspired English Bible?
https://www.christian-history.org/king-james-only.html

and then

A note about "word for word" translation:
Right now I can't remember what tenses they are, or where in scripture they are located, Greek has some verb tenses which do not exist in English, how did those get translated "Word for word"?

and then

There's the thing of:
Oh, so anyone who speaks a language other than English has to learn English so they can have The Right Bible, yes?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:18 pm

Quote:
There's the thing of:
Oh, so anyone who speaks a language other than English has to learn English so they can have The Right Bible, yes?

Typical anglicized ethno-centricism. :lol:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 8:29 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Quote:
There's the thing of:

Yep. And I've seen a lot of it.

I can't give any sources or references from memory but I can recall reading & hearing accounts of Bible translators putting a lot of effort when the culture whose language they are translating the Bible in to has no concept of and/or no word for what a thing is.

:arrow: And then,

There is just recently, https://deafbible.com/
Which has been a very long time coming and is a very welcome effort.
And which technology has finally made possible.
For instance, how does one represent on paper those signs which are made of movement in time in three dimensions?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 5:19 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Quote:
There's the thing of:

Yep. And I've seen a lot of it.

I can't give any sources or references from memory but I can recall reading & hearing accounts of Bible translators putting a lot of effort when the culture whose language they are translating the Bible in to has no concept of and/or no word for what a thing is.

:arrow: And then,

There is just recently, https://deafbible.com/
Which has been a very long time coming and is a very welcome effort.
And which technology has finally made possible.
For instance, how does one represent on paper those signs which are made of movement in time in three dimensions?

Even dumb simple things can be surprisingly hard to translate.

For example I saw some expert on a TV doc explain how some tribes in some parts of the world have never seen a donkey. So when they try to translate the passage in which "Christ rides into Jerusalem upon a donkey" they translate it "upon a long eared animal". So the locals get the notion that Christ was riding a bunny rabbit.

On the other hand the word 'ark' is puzzling in the Bible. There is..."Noah's Ark", and then there is "there Ark of the Covenant". In one instance ark means a big boat, in the other it means a portable container. Well...there IS a word in Anglo Saxon English that can have that range of meanings. Its the word "vessel". A "vessel" can be either a milk pitcher, or a navy cruiser. So why didnt they translate the word "ark" as "vessel"? Wondered that since I was a kid.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 2:23 pm

Least he could have done is put the most American trumpy spin on it as possible and pitched them as being for the "prosperity gospel," folks -> give us your money, it makes us Godlier!

That whole prosperity gospel concept is a complete joke, IMO. Extremely anti-Christ values. Not sure how those people even think of themselves as Christians at all, tbh. Jesus never said "Make as much money as you can, it's a sign that I love you more!" Fkn weird.