Is Galaxy Quest really a Star Trek parody? (SPOILERS)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

What do you think about my theory?
Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek parody 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Galaxy Quest is a parody of (SPOILER) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Galaxy Quest is not a parody of anything 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Galaxy Quest is awesome 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Galaxies are awesome 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Werewolf1061C
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2023, 9:30 am

People say that Galaxy Quest is a parody of Star Trek, but I think it is not. I think the *fictional TV show* Galaxy Quest is indeed a Star Trek parody, both of the original series and The Next Generation, but let's look at what happens in the film.

1) Aliens learn about the Earth from our television signals.
2) They use technology to appear human and simulate a human environment.
3) They bring a human to this artificial environment and inform him that other aliens also exist.
4) They then send him back to Earth *through a wormhole*.
5) He has no evidence of this, and consequently people do not believe that he has been anywhere.

I think that Galaxy Quest is a parody of

Thoughts?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 11:23 am

It is a parody of Star Trek. And of Star Trek fans.
You observations about parallels to another film are correct, but I still think GQ is a Star Trek parody.
The Greatest American Hero also dealt with aliens coming to Earth. The DVD collection includes a pilot for a follow up / sequel with a female Hero taking on the “magic jammies” mantle because the Aliens we’re monitoring Earth tv signals, and found out Ralph had blown his cover and had to be replaced. Star Trek Deep Space 9 had a wormhole as a part of the plot (the main reason the Deep Space 9 Station became an important port). Wormholes also figured unto Star Trek Voyager / Borg plots. Several Star Trek TOS and other ST series episodes dealt with time travel through some kind of excuse.

Lots of SciFi reuses the same ideas.

Trivia: Patrick (Captian Picard) Stewart enjoyed GQ - but he wasn't going to see it until he was phoned by Jonathan (Commander Riker) Frakes.

snopes.com - fact check (True) - Patrick Stewart on Galaxy Quest

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 3:53 pm

Fenn wrote:
It is a parody of Star Trek. And of Star Trek fans.
You observations about parallels to another film are correct, but I still think GQ is a Star Trek parody.
The Greatest American Hero also dealt with aliens coming to Earth. The DVD collection includes a pilot for a follow up / sequel with a female Hero taking on the “magic jammies” mantle because the Aliens we’re monitoring Earth tv signals, and found out Ralph had blown his cover and had to be replaced. Star Trek Deep Space 9 had a wormhole as a part of the plot (the main reason the Deep Space 9 Station became an important port). Wormholes also figured unto Star Trek Voyager / Borg plots. Several Star Trek TOS and other ST series episodes dealt with time travel through some kind of excuse.

Lots of SciFi reuses the same ideas.

Trivia: Patrick (Captian Picard) Stewart enjoyed GQ - but he wasn't going to see it until he was phoned by Jonathan (Commander Riker) Frakes.

snopes.com - fact check (True) - Patrick Stewart on Galaxy Quest

That's a nice piece of trivia.

I think it started as a parody of Star Trek, but other space sci fi plot devices were pulled from other shows and movies, because in the end the movie needs to be entertaining and not a 10 minute SNL skit.