Total votes : 29

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 8:05 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
In order to consider and answer that question, we would first have to establish that god exists first, beyond reasonable doubt, which has not happened yet.

Why can't we discuss him hypothetically?

I guess we can discuss him/her/it hypothetically, but it will always just be hypothetical speculation without the ability to figure out the facts without god's existence being confirmed. Only when god's existence is confirmed can we actually start serious discussion about attributes.

Your presuppositions don't allow for confirming God's existence, though.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2023, 8:18 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
In order to consider and answer that question, we would first have to establish that god exists first, beyond reasonable doubt, which has not happened yet.

I guess we can discuss him/her/it hypothetically, but it will always just be hypothetical speculation without the ability to figure out the facts without god's existence being confirmed. Only when god's existence is confirmed can we actually start serious discussion about attributes.

How so?

My only presupposition is that there is currently no valid evidence to support the existence of god. I do not claim to know god doesn't exist, just that such has not yet been proven.

Atheism = Lack of belief in god(s). (this is usually due to lack of evidence).

This means that the existence of god(s) can be proven in the future, if and when such evidence is presented.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:41 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

How so?

My only presupposition is that there is currently no valid evidence...

If you presuppose that no current valid evidence exists, it's inconsistent to suppose you would ever accept any valid evidence.

Canadian1911 wrote:
This means that the existence of god(s) can be proven in the future, if and when such evidence is presented.

The problem of evidence is the empiricist view of what qualifies as evidence is entirely subjective. Your statement here is inherently inconsistent and false--"can be proven in the future." You don't actually believe that it will ever be proven. Why assume a) God's existence hasn't already been proven, and b) evidence doesn't already exist? My beliefs don't require that many assumptions.

Besides, the logical possibility that God exists necessitates that God isn't mere possibility, but inevitability. Given that, proving God's existence isn't terribly difficult. One of the pitfalls of demanding evidence for something is falsely thinking that evidence can prove anything. "Proof" is reserved for law, logic, and math. Background cosmic radiation and dark energy are evidence of an expanding universe and the Big Bang, but they do not "prove" the Big Bang happened. It is assumed that alternative explanations are possible. It is not assumed that any alternative actually replaces the Big Bang. In reality, nobody actually knows anything about the origins of our universe as we understand it. So if you are presented with evidence that God exists, assuming you are being logically consistent, you would have to respond that evidence of God's existence does not actually prove God's existence.

On the other hand, it is logically possible that God exists. Because of God's eternal attributes, it is not only logically possible that God exists. It is logically necessary that God exists. And that means God's existence isn't simply a theory or speculation. That means God's existence is part of our reality.

It's all really irrelevant to me, tbh. I already know God exists. I think what's most important is the relationship between man and God.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2023, 12:08 am

AngelRho wrote:

It's all really irrelevant to me, tbh. I already know God exists. I think what's most important is the relationship between man and God.

You can play with language all you want, but it still remains there is at least so far no evidence to support the existence of god.

You can claim to "know" anything you want, but unless you can provide evidence to support your claim that "god exists", I and no one else really cares what you think, it's irrelevant. People didn't just take Darwin's word for it when it came to evolution, they went and found evidence to support it, and Darwin himself spent a lot of the book explaining it.

The burden of proof is on the one who is making the claim, in this case you claim to "know that god exists", so you are burdened with supporting that.

As far as "can be proven in the future", it possibly can be. Sure I think it's highly-unlikely, but I cannot totally discount it because I cannot prove such a negative. So if there ever is evidence presented at some point in the future, 1) it would be major world-wide news, and 2) I'd be like "My bad, praise the lord".

The point behind atheism is really that it is not rational and could be argued to be "wrong" to believe things for which there is no evidence.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 7:22 am

Canadian1911 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

You can play with language all you want, but it still remains there is at least so far no evidence to support the existence of god.

No evidence that YOU will accept. Evidence doesn’t mean anything if you’re just going to ignore it.

At the end of the day, it’s never about evidence. It’s always about what you want or choose to believe. We live in a world corrupted by the influence of sin. That evil influence has a corrupting influence on the human mind. Even if I were to argue something about specific evidence, which I have no need to do, I can’t change the fact that the corrupted mind is incapable of perceiving that evidence, nor can I change a mind from being unreasonable to reasonable. Only God can do that when you choose to believe. Arguing evidence is useless otherwise because you’re not going to believe if you don’t want to .

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 12:43 pm

First off, apologies if I appear confrontational. I think this is a topic that is inherently one of those "I'm right/everyone else is wrong" kinds of things. My intention is not to be unfriendly, but I worry I often come across that way.

Canadian1911 wrote:
As far as "can be proven in the future", it possibly can be. Sure I think it's highly-unlikely, but I cannot totally discount it because I cannot prove such a negative. So if there ever is evidence presented at some point in the future, 1) it would be major world-wide news,

Wouldn't it? Kinda like the initial spread of Christianity throughout the Roman world?

I can see the headlines now: "Florida man blind from birth cured, claims itinerant healer is the Son of God." Would you actually believe that, or would you just assume it's clickbait and move on?

Canadian1911 wrote:
and 2) I'd be like "My bad, praise the lord".

Why wait?

I understand what you're saying, though, but don't make the mistake that negatives or non-existence can't be proven. They most certainly CAN be proven.

Suppose I show you a bowl turned down on a table and I make the claim that there is no apple under the bowl. You can confirm "no apples" by picking up the bowl. To say that God's nature is such that you can't metaphorically turn the bowl and reveal "no God" is logically dangerous ground. I've met more atheists who sought to avoid the argument entirely by pointing out that "I believe there is no God" isn't the same as saying "No God." Two can play that game. I have atheistic leanings myself--the difference between you and me is I just happen to disbelieve one less God than you. :lol:

As to the likelihood of God's existence, it's a matter of logic. It's not unlikely. It's an absolute certainty. The idea of God being possible but unlikely falls way short of the mark. If God is logically possible, that is, you can imagine that somewhere "out there" there "might be" a God, then there is at least one logically possible world in which God exists. God's attributes are eternal--He exists everywhere at all times transcending space and time. Since God is infinite and exists in at least one possible universe, it means that he exists in ALL possible universes, including this one.

The evidence thing has nothing to do with reason, hence the problem of demanding evidence. Someone who is physically blind could demand evidence of something, for which you could produce a photograph. Well, photographic evidence might be useful for people with sight, but a blind person has no use for it. The blind person can easily dismiss a photograph as being evidence and there's little anyone can do about it. The problem is not evidence. The problem is blindness.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2023, 1:22 pm

AngelRho wrote:
First off, apologies if I appear confrontational. I think this is a topic that is inherently one of those "I'm right/everyone else is wrong" kinds of things. My intention is not to be unfriendly, but I worry I often come across that way.
Canadian1911 wrote:
As far as "can be proven in the future", it possibly can be. Sure I think it's highly-unlikely, but I cannot totally discount it because I cannot prove such a negative. So if there ever is evidence presented at some point in the future, 1) it would be major world-wide news,

Wouldn't it? Kinda like the initial spread of Christianity throughout the Roman world?

I can see the headlines now: "Florida man blind from birth cured, claims itinerant healer is the Son of God." Would you actually believe that, or would you just assume it's clickbait and move on?

Canadian1911 wrote:
and 2) I'd be like "My bad, praise the lord".

Why wait?

I understand what you're saying, though, but don't make the mistake that negatives or non-existence can't be proven. They most certainly CAN be proven.

Suppose I show you a bowl turned down on a table and I make the claim that there is no apple under the bowl. You can confirm "no apples" by picking up the bowl. To say that God's nature is such that you can't metaphorically turn the bowl and reveal "no God" is logically dangerous ground. I've met more atheists who sought to avoid the argument entirely by pointing out that "I believe there is no God" isn't the same as saying "No God." Two can play that game. I have atheistic leanings myself--the difference between you and me is I just happen to disbelieve one less God than you. :lol:

As to the likelihood of God's existence, it's a matter of logic. It's not unlikely. It's an absolute certainty. The idea of God being possible but unlikely falls way short of the mark. If God is logically possible, that is, you can imagine that somewhere "out there" there "might be" a God, then there is at least one logically possible world in which God exists. God's attributes are eternal--He exists everywhere at all times transcending space and time. Since God is infinite and exists in at least one possible universe, it means that he exists in ALL possible universes, including this one.

The evidence thing has nothing to do with reason, hence the problem of demanding evidence. Someone who is physically blind could demand evidence of something, for which you could produce a photograph. Well, photographic evidence might be useful for people with sight, but a blind person has no use for it. The blind person can easily dismiss a photograph as being evidence and there's little anyone can do about it. The problem is not evidence. The problem is blindness.

If you think that is evidence of god, then your standard of evidence is severely lacking. I would definitely accept that the guy believes that and claims that, but that is still not evidence to support his claim.

As far as your "logical possibility" argument, I'm sorry, and not to be mean, that is just plane idiotic. Just because you can imagine something to exist, doesn't mean it exists, that's wish fulfillment. Let me show you logically how your argument falls apart, on the subject of extraterrestrials, it is indeed very logical to believe that there is, and even that the likelihood is very high, but that is due to the sheer size of the universe, and the fact that we already have an example of life here on earth, however that does not mean that there is yet evidence to support their existence - it just means their existence is plausible. In terms of god though, we must remember god is a supernatural being, or supernatural intelligence, we so far have absolutely no evidence of anything supernatural existing at all, not ghosts, vampires, zombies, demons, etc, therefore, the existence of god is not even plausible.

I can always give other examples, like the invisible pink unicorn, flying spaghetti monster, etc, these things can be imagined to exist, but it doesn't mean they do in reality.

Another example of something that can be imagined to exist:

On your blindness example, things like that are why in the scientific world, there are standards of evidence, and a process of peer review.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 4:45 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
we so far have absolutely no evidence of anything supernatural existing at all,

Assumption. Is it your intent to allow circular reasoning to make your point?

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2023, 8:35 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

If there is evidence, then please provide it.

If you didn't realize by now, I am not going to let you wiggle out of your obligation to provide evidence for your claims.

Again, I'm not expecting to change your mind, I know better than that, I am doing this for the betterment of those reading this.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:32 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

If there is evidence, then please provide it.

If you didn't realize by now, I am not going to let you wiggle out of your obligation to provide evidence for your claims.

Again, I'm not expecting to change your mind, I know better than that, I am doing this for the betterment of those reading this.

What obligation? Besides, you already have the evidence. It's not for me to provide it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:31 am

i believe we all [all of creation] are god's way of knowing god's self and god's creations. IMHO we are god's mirror and we mirror god. god is at least as sentient as the highest of god's creations.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
i believe we all [all of creation] are god's way of knowing god's self and god's creations. IMHO we are god's mirror and we mirror god. god is at least as sentient as the highest of god's creations.

I like this. If you want to understand God, look at what God created. Simple.

Question: I don’t believe God is evil, yet I do think God’s creation is tainted by evil. My question is how does the presence of evil within creation square with God’s perfect attributes? In other words, if creation is imperfect, does that mean God is imperfect? Or is it something else?

I tend to think part of what makes God perfect is His willingness to allow sin if creation (mankind, specifically) is made in such a way that the creature is allowed to choose evil if that’s what the creature wants. Man is not a perfect reflection of the Creator but does mirror the Creator’s attributes—creative power, self-awareness, etc. The big one is the ability to act autonomously and be responsible for one’s choices. God, for instance, allows the choice of evil and is responsible for it; God also provides the means through which man can escape evil if he wants to. Then it’s a question of what man chooses to do with that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:50 am

I don’t have faith in the existence of God.

If my mother communicates to me from Heaven…then I might change my mind.

I’m agnostic in the sense that I don’t preclude the possibility that there might be some sentient or non-sentient “supreme being.”

Belief in God is usually not evidence-based in a scientific sense. Why bother to argue in a scientific way?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:54 am

i should have said "reflected." anyways, god created what amounts to a cybernetic system with a distant goal of its own creation of further cybernetic systems.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:55 am

When I think of a God I can't get beyond the Teletubbies image of a giant baby observing us, wide-eyed and uncomprehending, just enjoying the shapes and sounds and movements. I don't think he knows, or cares, what nonsense goes on down here beyond its capacity to pacify and entertain. I think we're on our own, essentially.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 7:56 am

too many [different kinds of] folks have communicated at me [very little talk-back but one notable exception] from beyond the veil, for it to be just my psychosis. my dad, a few hours after he passed, shouted my name and my mom's name to each of us [we compared notes later that morning].