Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 2:31 pm

ABC News live updates

Quote:
McCarthy falls short in first speaker vote
After the first round of voting, no member obtained the 218 votes needed to become House speaker, but Democrat Hakeem Jeffries earned more votes than Kevin McCarthy -- on the first day of a new Republican-controlled House.

Jeffries received 212 votes to McCarthy's 203. Far-right Republican Andy Biggs of Arizona received 10 votes, and there were nine votes for others, including six for Rep. Jim Jordan, and, in a surprise move, Rep. Chip Roy of Texas voted for Florida's Byron Donalds.

Nineteen Republicans broke from McCarthy, who could only afford to lose four, marking a stunning defeat by 15 votes. Despite having a majority this Congress, McCarthy got fewer votes this time than the last time he ran for speaker against Nancy Pelosi.

For the first time since 1923 -- and the first time since floor proceedings have been televised -- the speaker's vote appears headed towards a second ballot.

While McCarthy has signaled he's up for more voting rounds, he faces a steep hurdle in a second vote with so many lawmakers to win over -- and the potential for Republicans to nominate another member, such as No. 2 Steve Scalise.

Optics are terrible': ABC News’ Jonathan Karl on GOP speaker battle
ABC News Chief Washington Correspondent Jonathan Karl weighed in after the first ballot vote for House speaker.

The optics for Republicans is terrible," Karl told ABC's David Muir following the vote.

"They've taken control, they've won control of the House by a narrow majority, and [in the] first act of this Republican House, more votes went to the liberal Democrat candidate for speaker than went for Kevin McCarthy. Think about that David," Karl said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jan 2023, 2:49 pm

Do I interpret it correctly - that Republicans have the majority in the House but they are too internally divided to agree on one speaker candidate?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jan 2023, 3:02 pm

Yes.

Their majority is much slimmer than was expected, so this was always a possibility, and McCarthy still has 203 out of 222 votes, so it isn't incredibly divided. But it's still bad. 10% of your representatives not backing the leadership right after the election...

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jan 2023, 3:09 pm

Gives higher chances for the president's administration to proceed largely uninterrupted.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 3:54 pm

Quote:
McCarthy loses 2nd ballot as 19 Republicans vote for Jordan
Kevin McCarthy has fallen short of the votes needed to win House speaker for a second time.

Once again, 19 Republicans voted against McCarthy -- this time unanimously backing Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.

Jordan had urged his colleagues to back McCarthy as he nominated the California congressman for speaker. But Rep. Matt Gaetz stood up to nominate Jordan, calling him the "most talented, hardest working member of the Republican conference."

The House vote was identical to the first round: McCarthy again won 203 votes compared to Democratic Rep. Hakeem Jeffries' 212 votes.

Jordan says he told Gaetz not to nominate him as speaker
Right after Rep. Jim Jordan spoke on the House floor following the first vote -- to support McCarthy in the next round -- Rep. Matt Gaetz turned the tables and enthusiastically nominated Jordan to be speaker.

But Jordan told ABC News afterward that he told Matt Gaetz not to nominate him

McCarthy loses a supporter -- and 3rd round of speaker vote
In the third round of voting, 20 Republican lawmakers voted against McCarthy for speaker -- the highest amount so far. Those votes went to Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio.

McCarthy getting fewer votes now than in 2021, when GOP was in minority
McCarthy has so far gotten fewer votes to be speaker in each round on Tuesday than he did when the last Congress convened in 2021.

In 2021, when Republicans were in the minority, McCarthy got 209 votes from every Republican voting. In the three rounds Tuesday, with voting continuing, he got 203, 203 and 202.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:33 pm

Please, not Chip Roy!

Dan Newhouse, David Valadao, or Nicole Malliotakis would be my pics.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 03 Jan 2023, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 5:34 pm

The House has adjourned until noon tomorrow.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 9:22 pm

CNN live updates

Quote:
These are the 20 Republicans who voted against McCarthy on the third ballot
From CNN's Annie Grayer, Clare Foran, Kristin Wilson and Jessica Dean

Twenty GOP lawmakers voted against Rep. Kevin McCarthy in the third round of voting for speaker.

Rep. Byron Donalds joined the 19 GOP lawmakers who voted against McCarthy in the first two rounds. 

Rep. Jim Jordan has said he does not want the job and nominated McCarthy in the second round. 

These are the 20 lawmakers:

Rep. Andy Biggs
Rep. Dan Bishop
Rep. Lauren Boebert
Rep. Josh Brecheen
Rep. Michael Cloud
Rep. Andrew Clyde
Rep. Eli Crane
Rep. Byron Donalds
Rep. Matt Gaetz
Rep. Bob Good
Rep. Paul Gosar
Rep. Andy Harris
Rep. Anna Paulina Luna
Rep. Mary Miller
Ralph Norman
Rep. Andy Ogles
Rep. Scott Perry
Rep. Matt Rosendale
Rep. Chip Roy
Rep. Keith Self

Jim Jordan says he will not become speaker of the House
Rep. Jim Jordan said Tuesday there is no chance he will become speaker of the House.

He told CNN he wants to be House Judiciary chairman, adding that he would lobby his colleagues to back GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy.

In a speech nominating McCarthy before the second round of voting, Jordan said he believed McCarthy was the right guy for the job and encouraged Republicans to "rally around him."

But hardliners said they were not backing off their opposition — and, in fact, expect the opposition to grow.

“We are done with Kevin McCarthy,” said Rep. Bob Good, with Rep. Matt Gaetz echoing similar thoughts.

GOP moderates already laying groundwork for far-fetched team-up with Democrats
Moderate Republicans are already laying the groundwork for far-fetched plans of how to potentially team up with Democrats in the coming days if the dynamics with the 20 GOP holdouts remain.

Democrats have said they do not want to help Kevin McCarthy become speaker and are facing pressure not to cave. But even the whispers among Republicans show how desperate the situation could be.

One way GOP lawmakers are considering teaming up with Democrats is to get them to vote present or not show up, sources say.

The source added there have even been rogue conversations between rank-and-file Democrats and Republicans about what concessions it would take for Democrats to vote present or not show.

GOP Rep. Don Bacon, a firm McCarthy supporter, told CNN he is willing to stay in these rounds of voting but “at some point” he believes Republicans should discuss with Democrats how they find a concession candidate and path forward, which could include “committee leveling.

Hakeem Jeffries says he does not want to help Republicans out of their "dysfunction"
Incoming House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries told reporters he is not willing at this point to help Republicans elect a speaker. 

“We are looking for a willing partner to solve problems for the American people, not save the Republicans from their dysfunction,” Jeffries said. 

Jeffries said he has not had any outreach from Republican leadership or individuals on the other side of the aisle “with respect to the chaos crisis and confusion that we saw unfold before the American people today.”

House GOP not now expected to hold conference meeting Wednesday morning
As Kevin McCarthy scrambles to find a path out of the current stalemate, the GOP leadership tells CNN that – as of Tuesday night – there is no longer a conference meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Sources earlier had said a House GOP leadership meeting was expected Wednesday morning to hash out their disagreements and find a way forward.

Meanwhile, talks continue tonight, with McCarthy in his office making calls, sources said.

Allies say the GOP House leader is not dropping out and is still prepared to grind this out.

Trump declines to reiterate McCarthy endorsement despite appeals from McCarthy allies
Former President Donald Trump declined to issue a statement Monday to reiterate his endorsement of Rep. Kevin McCarthy as House speaker, despite a behind-the-scenes effort from several of McCarthy's allies to get Trump to do so, according to two sources familiar with what happened. 

Trump has not rescinded his endorsement of McCarthy, and ultimately may not, but the former president is watching closely as the dynamic plays out on Capitol Hill.

His silence as McCarthy faced three failed votes did not go unnoticed as Trump privately seemed to side with the hardliners against McCarthy in some conversations Tuesday, according to one of the sources. 

It's important to note that Trump made calls on McCarthy's behalf to those hardliners Monday.

This is the inevitable result of the MAGA "values" of no apologies, no giving in, no agenda but to own your opposition. Their George Santos problem also. While it is tempting to feel schadenfreude for people who surely deserve it remember with no speaker they can do nothing about the debt ceiling, inflation, or anything. Even if they somehow get a speaker that person will be practically powerless. Every issue will be a bitter fight to political death.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2023, 2:39 am

We can just observe how evolutional pressure brings the system back to the equilibrium of standard politics.

Don't worry, after the disturbance, you will have two parties back because that's what your system promotes. Probably some renewal within the GOP, pushing it back to the old ways of regular politics. Or, if it drowns, Dems could split or some third party could grow to power. The system is stable with two parties and that's what you'll finally have.

Politics is all about seeking compromises to make things somehow work. "Stand your ground" approach may emotionally appeal to many voters but it tends to end with disasters.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 11:51 am

magz wrote:
We can just observe how evolutional pressure brings the system back to the equilibrium of standard politics.

Don't worry, after the disturbance, you will have two parties back because that's what your system promotes. Probably some renewal within the GOP, pushing it back to the old ways of regular politics. Or, if it drowns, Dems could split or some third party could grow to power. The system is stable with two parties and that's what you'll finally have.

Politics is all about seeking compromises to make things somehow work. "Stand your ground" approach may emotionally appeal to many voters but it tends to end with disasters.

I hear the resilience argument all the time. We survived the 1960’s, The Great Depression and our Civil War. They were just as bad if not way worse and the system designed by our founding fathers to deal with hyper partisanship held and we came out stronger for it, all true. But the flaw in that thinking is the assumption what worked in the past will work in the future. You keep on straining the system and at some point it won’t hold.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2023, 11:58 am

Indeed, you need to keep repairing and the system as well, every time you see it starts getting faulty.
Otherwise, you end like Poland-Lithuania. Not a good ending. Repair attempts came too late.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 12:11 pm

ABC News Live Updates

Quote:
Trump repeats endorsement of McCarthy for speaker
Former President Donald Trump again called on Republicans to support McCarthy as the House remains without a speaker and Republicans appear in disarray.

"Some really good conversations took place last night, and it's now time for all of our GREAT Republican House Members to VOTE FOR KEVIN, CLOSE THE DEAL, TAKE THE VICTORY ..." Trump posted on Truth Social this morning. "Kevin McCarthy will do a good job, and maybe even a GREAT JOB - JUST WATCH!"

McCarthy arrives on Capitol Hill: 'I think we'll get to 218'
Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy arrived on Capitol Hill moments ago and entered the House speaker's office, although he's still fighting for the votes to take the position. McCarthy opponent Rep. Matt Gaetz has called him a "squatter" in the office.

McCarthy and his security pushed through a swarm of reporters and photographers who sprinted up the stairs to chase him.

Asked by ABC News Congressional Correspondent Rachel Scott if he made any progress, McCarthy said, "I think we'll get to 218."

Asked by another reporter what the game plan is, he answered, "same as yesterday."

Biden calls GOP fight over speakership 'embarrassing'
Asked on his way out of the White House about the GOP standoff in the House, President Joe Biden said electing a speaker is "not a good look" to the rest of the world.

"That's not my problem," Biden offered reporters. "I just think it's a little embarrassing, that it's taking so long and the way that they're dealing with each other. And the rest of the world is looking, they're looking at can we get our act together."

"For the first time in 100 years, we can’t move," he added later on. "It’s not a good look, it’s not a good thing. This is the United States of America, and I hope they get their act together."

GOP leadership in talks to adjourn after House reconvenes at noon
Republican leadership is in talks to adjourn the House right after it reconvenes at noon to resume the votes for speaker, sources familiar with the discussions told ABC News.

Some Kevin McCarthy allies have been pushing for the delay, so they can continue to engage in talks behind the scenes.

Democrats hammer Republicans over 'crisis' speaker fight
House Democratic Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar and Vice Chair Ted Lieu blasted Republicans for their prolonged speaker fight in a press conference following a caucus meeting, with Aguilar calling the result "a crisis of the Congress."

Both Aguilar and Lieu described the current state of Congress as "chaos, confusion, and crisis" while the work of the House faces a halt.

"We can't even appoint any of our own members to any committees," said Lieu. "So that slows everything down for a pretty long time because we can't even constitute committees. So, this is having a very real world impact."

Aguilar downplayed the idea that Democratic members would join with moderate Republicans to elect a consensus speaker, saying he hasn't been approached about that and adding any reporting on that doesn't have any "basis in fact."

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 04 Jan 2023, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 2:44 pm

Welcome to the collapse of the new Roman Empire...

*Face. Palm.*

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 3:47 pm

Quote:
McCarthy loses fifth vote for speaker
McCarthy has lost the fifth round of voting for speaker.

The vote count was the same as the previous round: McCarthy received 201 votes, Democratic Rep. Hakeem Jeffries received 212 votes and Rep. Byron Donalds, the latest protest nominee from a faction of GOP lawmakers, received 20 votes.

Indiana Republican Victoria Spartz again voted "present”

House setting up sixth vote: 'It's Groundhog Day'
The House is moving full steam ahead with a sixth round of voting on Wednesday.

"Well, it's Groundhog Day, again," Rep. Kat Cammack, R-Fla., said as she began her nomination speech for McCarthy .

"To all Americans watching right now, I want to tell you we hear you, we hear you," Cammack said. "And we will get this right. No matter how messy this process is, we will emerge better for having been through this because nothing great ever comes easy."

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 4:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

"To all Americans watching right now, I want to tell you we hear you, we hear you," Cammack said. "And we will get this right. No matter how messy this process is, we will emerge better for having been through this because nothing great ever comes easy."

"And then I told the American people "we hear you, we hear you!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2023, 5:10 pm

God, this is somehow even worse than what we have going on in the UK :lol:

At least Theresa May resigned when she lost for the third time!